Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #361
Platinum Member

Oddly there was a change made to the Roadtrek website in the last few days... on the owner page links. Yet they didn't remove that letter from Hammill about the Thor purchase.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #362
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Oddly there was a change made to the Roadtrek website in the last few days... on the owner page links. Yet they didn't remove that letter from Hammill about the Thor purchase.
I just don’t understand why people are hung up on the post from Jim Hammill back when the acquisition was announced. First of all, not many people will even look at it. I happened upon it with a google search looking for current info and thought it was interesting given the final results of the acquisition so I posted it with a sarcastic comment.

Why is removing it at this point something high priority or anything to get hyped up about?

I am sure that there are many old posts by EHG NA personnel that are totally irrelevant or totally bogus at this point. Why waste time and resources going back and finding them and removing them. I would expect that at some point, if there is a surviving entity from EHG NA, that they will restart the website from scratch and all the old stuff will only remain in the internet archives someplace...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #363
Platinum Member

Folks seem to forget that Roadtrek and Hymer are both run like a mom&pop shop. It's not as "corporate" as you may imagine. It's COMPLETELY different than an auto manufacturer. In many respects, the RV industry is stuck in the past with their management techniques and methods.

Their IT department is most likely a couple guys who are probably self-taught. They probably maintain all the PCs and servers and manage the website, if it's not outsourced. I'm sure their staff has gotten sucked into the audit and are helping pour thru email archives and other things to support the inquiry.

Most likely we won't learn anything unless an insider talks or if there are public filings. I expect that something will come next week. My guess is there will be a big layoff first, and a filing to follow.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #364
Platinum Member

From a post by a Canadian member over on the RV Lifestyle Facebook Group...

——-
It was announced on our local TV news that the Erwin Hymer/Roadtrek deal has been completed with Thor, excluding the North American operations.

The report also indicated that production has been suspended and that staff is currently doing inventory. Assume this is part of the outside audit currently taking place.

I also had the opportunity to communicate with Jim Hammill who seems to be doing OK, since leaving the company. He said he plans to continue his interest in the RV lifestyle.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #365
Platinum Member

There was also a post on Facebook today from a well respected dealer source that they are expecting an update with 'good news' from the factory this coming week.

One assumes that the audit is finished... and the Hymer family will tell us their plans for the foreseeable.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #366
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
From a post by a Canadian member over on the RV Lifestyle Facebook Group...

——-
It was announced on our local TV news that the Erwin Hymer/Roadtrek deal has been completed with Thor, excluding the North American operations.

The report also indicated that production has been suspended and that staff is currently doing inventory. Assume this is part of the outside audit currently taking place.

I also had the opportunity to communicate with Jim Hammill who seems to be doing OK, since leaving the company. He said he plans to continue his interest in the RV lifestyle.
LOL. I'm sure Jim is contemplating which is more slimming - orange or black & white stripes.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #367
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why is removing it at this point something high priority or anything to get hyped up about?
I suspect updates to the EHG NA web site will be primarily in response to a legal request by Thor to remove anything they feel causes confusion or is damaging to their go-forward efforts.

Under normal conditions, EHG NA would have been prepared to update their site with the timing of the Thor acquisition of EHG.

It appears EHG NA is operating under a 'caretaker management team' given all the EHG NA leadership suspensions. I still find it amazing that there was no way to keep the EHG NA management team in place but fly-in EHG management from Germany to more aggressively control action in the theater of operations until more is known from the external auditors.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #368
Platinum Member

I wonder who is actually maintaining and controlling the EHG site now. Wouldn't it have shifted control at the deal closing? I would think now Thor can have whatever they want on there.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #369
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I wonder who is actually maintaining and controlling the EHG site now. Wouldn't it have shifted control at the deal closing? I would think now Thor can have whatever they want on there.
There were separate websites for North America that were probably not tied at all to the EHG websites.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #370
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
LOL. I'm sure Jim is contemplating which is more slimming - orange or black & white stripes.
Not a fan I guess....

Even the least charitable person would feel sad for Jim H. He has spent the lion's share of his career in the RV industry and these recent events will be a stain on his legacy if the audit is inconclusive but he was at the 'helm' at the time of Roadtrek / EHG NA.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #371
Platinum Member

Quote:
Folks seem to forget that Roadtrek and Hymer are both run like a mom&pop shop. It's not as "corporate" as you may imagine. It's COMPLETELY different than an auto manufacturer. In many respects, the RV industry is stuck in the past with their management techniques and methods.

Their IT department is most likely a couple guys who are probably self-taught. They probably maintain all the PCs and servers and manage the website, if it's not outsourced.
That website was not created by a bunch of IT techs. It is a professional site with graphic design and features. As for content, that is a different issue. But I am sure that is not in the hands of the IT department either. Most places, different parts of the site would have different "owners" who determine the content. This is the 21st century, the web presence is a pretty central feature to any modern business.

I don't know if Hymer has a "customer relations" department, but whoever sees that as their job has probably been champing at the bit to say something publicly. On the other hand, top management may be not be approving public comments until they actually know what happened. This website update may be something the customer relations folks can do now. How is that for pure speculation.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #372
Gold Member

Company reps last week were saying Jim Hammill on 'medical leave' clearly if he is doing OK, that is not the case?
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #373
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Not a fan I guess....

Even the least charitable person would feel sad for Jim H. He has spent the lion's share of his career in the RV industry and these recent events will be a stain on his legacy if the audit is inconclusive but he was at the 'helm' at the time of Roadtrek / EHG NA.
Having listened to his nonsense these many years, and talking with him on several occassions, I can tell tou he is getting all tgat he deserves. I DO NOT feel sad fir him in any way. I do feel bad for his family though, as the locals will be sure to turn on them.

For those of you thinking that some of the indivuals making a comeback, that is surely wishful thinking. The real truth is probably far more devastating gan has been revealed.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #374
Platinum Member

Quote:

For those of you thinking that some of the individuals making a comeback, that is surely wishful thinking. The real truth is probably far more devastating than has been revealed.

+For those new to this forum wincrasher is not just sharing off-the-cuff commentary. He has probably owned more RVs than many of us and has dialogued with many key leaders in the Class B RV segment.

Translation: He has RV street cred...

Thanks for your perspective
Old 02-03-2019, 11:55 PM   #375
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
Company reps last week were saying Jim Hammill on 'medical leave' clearly if he is doing OK, that is not the case?
That statement doesn’t seem to make any sense to me...

I can imagine many scenarios where someone is on medical leave and if asked how they are doing they can honestly say OK...
Old 02-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #376
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
+For those new to this forum wincrasher is not just sharing off-the-cuff commentary. He has probably owned more RVs than many of us and has dialogued with many key leaders in the Class B RV segment.

Translation: He has RV street cred...

Thanks for your perspective
You are correct, I cannot recall a time when he made an off-the-cuff remark here or anywhere else on the internet...
Old 02-04-2019, 12:27 AM   #377
Gold Member

honestly none of this makes sense.
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:24 AM   #378
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
honestly none of this makes sense.
That is something we might all be able to agree with...
Old 02-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #379
Platinum Member

Quote:
You are correct, I cannot recall a time when he made an off-the-cuff remark here or anywhere else on the internet...
I miss the good ole days when wincrasher had an order on a new Hammil-mobile. Good thing he canceled that order in time to get his latest Travato.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #380
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Eventually View Post
I miss the good ole days when wincrasher had an order on a new Hammil-mobile. Good thing he canceled that order in time to get his latest Travato.
LOL. I reflect on that period as "dodging the bullet".

I have a hilarious story about a Hymer exec calling me and begging me to change my mind. They even promised to get me a van within the week!

Good times!