Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

At our usual over winter camp ground in Florida with our 1995 Xplorer 230 on Dodge 3500. Our buddy next door also has a class B much newer and is a Roadtrack on Chevy frame. We all have been camping in same place and space for years. The other day. The camp ground manager ask him if it was a certified camper and ask about his certification sticker. Apparently someone complained he was just camping out of a van. He showed a photo later of a certification sticker off his camper. I have no such sticker! But mine was manufactured by the Xplorer motor home company and can easily be identified as a camper not just a conversion van. Anyone else had any Class B problems like this.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've not had that problem and scrubbed all the gaudy Airstream badging off the rear of my van. I did it to escape scrutiny of my HOA and so far so good.

Mine is probably one of the stealthiest class "b's" out there (although we all know stealth is a myth to anyone who knows even a little bit about class b's). And the awning is a big give-away. Still the clean automotive glass (actually paint in some areas) and concealed roof a/c give it a high-roof van look.

But, I left the "RVIA" sticker in case some ill-informed person were to challenge us at a campground.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
But, I left the "RVIA" sticker in case some ill-informed person were to challenge us at a campground.
Exactly. It's a CYA action by park owners and their insurers that (supposedly) ensures guest RVs comply with safety codes for electrical and propane systems, etc. RVIA is a trade organization, and it's mostly about promoting the industry. It does reference construction standards that member manufacturers pledge to follow, but compliance is largely voluntary. There is no independent inspection or certification of individual units, and there are many shoddily constructed RVs on the road carrying the RVIA badge.

My Chevy Roadtrek does have one, and like rowiebowie, when I debadged mine, I left the RVIA badge in place just in case. We do not usually camp in the kinds of places that care, but we or another owner might in the future.

Our Scamp fiberglass travel trailer does not. As a small operation with an annual output under 500 modestly-priced units a year, the cost of RVIA membership is not practical for them.

If you don't have one, I suggest a visit to an RV salvage yard. Pull one off a junked unit and stick it on yours.