Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

Well it was an adventure from Maryland to Florida this year. Started off with impatient driver on 95 South. They could not wait to get from behind tractor trailer on entrance ramp. Swing out two laines and hit side of our class B. Not much damage but GREAT start! later on down the road belts slip in one rear tire. Bumping on down road until our tire shop. Buy two tires and continue on trip. Finely in Florida set up camp all great. Went to go to park next day and Dometic refrigerator will not start on propaine. So off to Camping World in Kissimmee. Tell service desk what is going on in our 1995 Xplorer. Guy laughing tells me they do not, work on anything twenty years or older. GREAT!!! So buy one of thoses expensive coolers and put our stuff in. Watch video and how to clean out burner and such. Back in business. Glad to be here and finely get to relax!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Sorry about your troubles. I do feel like some people forgot how to drive during the pandemic.

It’s tough with an older RV, because most insurers will just want to total it with even minor damage. Will you be getting some kind of settlement from the driver that hit you?

Glad you were able to get the fridge sorted out. I avoid Camping World and large dealer-based repair shops. I prefer a small independent shop or mobile tech (I’ve got one of each at home, depending on the nature of the problem.) When away from home, you may have to seek recommendations from seasonal residents or local RV owners.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I often visit Camping World when we travel - but only for a walk around to see if there is some new gadget I must have!

I have never attempted to have any repair done there - but unless I had no reasonable option, never would, based on all the horror stories I have read.

Last time I even spoke with someone in their service department, it was because we had a mishap and broke the glass tray in the dometic microwave in the Airstream trailer we then owed.

I was told they could order it for $60 and another $60 for shipping to their store !!!!!!

The suggestion was that I should just buy a new countertop model from them to the replace our built in model. As well, If I ordered one I would hve to pay everything up front and if it came in after we had left the area - too bad - come back and get it!

Of course I opted out. Back at the campsite I was able to order an aftermarket replacement on line for $30, free shipping, and had it in three days!

Not a fan of Marcus L. !
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

the dometic manuals are available for download and handy to have on paper or on phone/ipad for campground troubleshooting and tune-ups.

many shops won't take on older work- often because they assume older stuff many have previous non-standard repairs or mods or changes which require investigation ( which cost time) or even frozen fasteners.

they also assume that the owners don't have funds- or they'd be in the latest and greatest.

hope you enjoy your trip and that the return is less eventful

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There are even walk thru instructions on You Tube!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Contact Robbins RV in Ormond Beach, about 1.5 hrs from Kissimmee, they will most likely work on your refrigerator for you. Without a doubt the most honest RV Dealer/Techs around. I have been dealing with them for years. Ask for Doug ( Service Mgr).
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thank goodness for Youtube and your own handiness. Nice fix on the fridge.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #8

Default Pleasureway Excel SRL Motorhome Class Bq

Hi just purchased a 1996 pleasureway Elite SRL motor home. The previous owner tore apart the kitchen and the opposite side and I am trying to find interior pictures of a 1996 one so that we can rebuild it as when new. Upon entering the van the sink is to your immediate left with a "s" shaped half wall from ceiling to top side of sink then stove; He added a piece of countertop under which it looks like he took the drawers from under the entertainment centre on the right and moved there. The closet was moved from the left side to the right. Entertainment centre now missing?
The same half "S" wall that is near the sink seems to have been separating the closet from the livingroom area on the left side. However, we can't see how the straight wall of the closet could now go back there because of the "S" wall. Anyone own a 96 with the curved half wall by the entrance and sink? We have all the floor plans, however, can't find any brochures that show our kitchen placement (when it was new) Thanks traveller
traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Traveller, Welcome to the Class B Forum. You'll get better response to your request if you post it as a fresh thread, rather than tacking it on an unrelated post. BTW... here's link to Pleasure Way brochure archive. There's one listed for 1996 Excel. Good luck. https://pleasureway.com/brochure-archive/
Old 03-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Joe
Platinum Member

Thank you will do
Old 03-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #11
Silver Member

Incidentally, one of the things you get used to in a Promaster RV is being tail gated, even when you are driving at the speed limit. Before I got my rear view cam, I couldn't even see anything smaller than a big rig right behind me. Now, I can see them, but I'm amazed that they think they can intimidate me into speeding up with their little SUV or other auto. When someone tail gates me in my Prius, I slow down, but I don't even bother to do that in my Promaster unless it's a semi, and they rarely tail gate since they are usually intelligent drivers. Driving up the Oregon coast on a wet, foggy day, a few drivers risked their lives to pass me when I was driving at the speed limit.
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:59 PM   #12
Gold Member

Default Adventures in Travel Yea right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Well it was an adventure from Maryland to Florida this year. Started off with impatient driver on 95 South. They could not wait to get from behind tractor trailer on entrance ramp. Swing out two laines and hit side of our class B. Not much damage but GREAT start! later on down the road belts slip in one rear tire. Bumping on down road until our tire shop. Buy two tires and continue on trip. Finely in Florida set up camp all great. Went to go to park next day and Dometic refrigerator will not start on propaine. So off to Camping World in Kissimmee. Tell service desk what is going on in our 1995 Xplorer. Guy laughing tells me they do not, work on anything twenty years or older. GREAT!!! So buy one of thoses expensive coolers and put our stuff in. Watch video and how to clean out burner and such. Back in business. Glad to be here and finely get to relax!
Hello Joe, and so sorry for your rough trip. Seems like all these people are coming to Florida and where I live is just crazy. We want them to leave. No camping spaces, and the food/liquor stores are getting stripped. I have the same fears on getting side swipped, and always secure everything I can. My B is newer and on a Dodge 3500 Ram so it will be like hitting a brick. I would think about getting something newer as like cars after 10 years they stop making parts. I use Grezeny RV in Lakeland and Nokomis (Steve is the best) for getting parts and installing. I have a 12v ref refridge, but added a Colman electric cooler. I plug this in to the inverter plug and so no leveling or worry about various fuels. I have build in 3 systems for water, heating, and cooking. Cool is at the mercy of AC and open windows/fan. LOL We are doing the reverse trip on May 1 for a few weeks. I have a Costco membership (gas/propane, and tires) and Good Sam (Flying J yea) for things as well as AAA for road service. I check air and tread before and during every trip. I carry a air pump, and have figured out a way to carry a spare on the rear ladder. I did go to a few
Camping World places (including the one you mentioned) in FL and SC to see the latest things, and asked if I need to install anything I have with a Good Sam discount. This is the year of the Class B for sure and glad I have one now. Take care and safe travels.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
Joe
Platinum Member

Default Joe

Thank you all for your responses. Got a new pickup before we left. Looking at travel trailers here in Florida and on way back to Maryland. Doing our research looking for best deal and what we want. Will never get rid of our class B. Love her to much and many fond memories. Will use her for shorter trips and weekend jaunts.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #14

I recently bought a 2000 Pleasure Way. I would like a rear view camera system. Would you please tell me what you installed. Thanks.

Nick Murabito
nickmurabito@yahoo.com
Nick&Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Got a new pickup before we left. Looking at travel trailers here in Florida and on way back to Maryland. Doing our research looking for best deal and what we want. Will never get rid of our class B. Love her to much and many fond memories. Will use her for shorter trips and weekend jaunts.
Hello, I use to have a 20 ft Sonic and loved that trailer. Bought it in Ocala from a dealer new and it really worked well being light and meeting all our needs. Lost the trailer in the IRMA hurricane of 2017. It sure was a lot less expensive, but now that I have a B, I won't go back. Thanks and I hope you find what you want.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #16
Silver Member

We just completed our Maryland to Florida trip too: day one the TV wouldn't turn off and then wouldn't come on after unplugging and replugging it, day two the refrig died, day four the LP regulator broke, day five we almost died between a semi on our left and a merging semi on our right, day six a tremendous storm came and laid down 6" of rain and flooded the campsite, day eight one of the curtains refused to work and day nine the airbag light came one. But we had a great time driving down country roads, eating in mom/pop restaurants, buying silly souvenirs and meeting lots of really nice folk. No other travel gives so much!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:13 PM   #17
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terance13 View Post
We just completed our Maryland to Florida trip too: day one the TV wouldn't turn off and then wouldn't come on after unplugging and replugging it, day two the refrig died, day four the LP regulator broke, day five we almost died between a semi on our left and a merging semi on our right, day six a tremendous storm came and laid down 6" of rain and flooded the campsite, day eight one of the curtains refused to work and day nine the airbag light came one. But we had a great time driving down country roads, eating in mom/pop restaurants, buying silly souvenirs and meeting lots of really nice folk. No other travel gives so much!
Again, I sure don't to hear these things. I do worry to much and put in a lot of back up systems and ways to offset. I guess we all need to lean how to do minor fixes and deal with things until we can get home or somewhere to fix. I do enjoy the outdoor beauty of Florida and the nice folks week meet in RV places.