Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

We own a 1995 Xplorer 230. Its on a Dodge 3500 frame. We have owned for over 10 years
She is in good shape no rust paint a little thin in spots but shines up nice. I keep hearing on other sites people recommending folks not buying anything 10 years and older. They say most campgrounds will not let 10 and older in. Have been up and down East cost and mid states. Never had a problem. Have stayed in county, state, federal, private and few upscale parks. Only time ever told this was at Camping World in Kissimmee Florida. I needed a repair and jerk at counter said dont work on 10 and older. Called me later though to bring back but already had fixed elsewhere.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
We own a 1995 Xplorer 230. Its on a Dodge 3500 frame. We have owned for over 10 years
She is in good shape no rust paint a little thin in spots but shines up nice. I keep hearing on other sites people recommending folks not buying anything 10 years and older. They say most campgrounds will not let 10 and older in. Have been up and down East cost and mid states. Never had a problem. Have stayed in county, state, federal, private and few upscale parks. Only time ever told this was at Camping World in Kissimmee Florida. I needed a repair and jerk at counter said dont work on 10 and older. Called me later though to bring back but already had fixed elsewhere.

You must have been on the wrong sites

There have been a few discussions about here concerning no old RVs and no class b rules, but the problems are not really major unless you are looking at very popular, very busy, very upscale, privately owned, places. For instance we couldn't stay in the daily RV area of DW's brother snow bird filled with both RVs and park models because we had a class b and they are not allowed. This is in Mesa, Arizona and appears to be fairly common around there, as are some old RV and trailer RV rules.

There have been more discussions of merit of buying older units from the point of view of cost of upkeep, but usually more than 10 years old IIRC. This one is probably more valid to me if you are not able or willing to do a the necessary to fixing to a used van and upkeep on any older vehicle, especially RVs.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

When I made reservations at Three Springs RV in Kentucky they didn't ask the age. I did volunteer the length (24 foot) so they could put us in a smaller lot. When we arrived they didn't look or ask and the employee that directed us to our lot didn't bat an eye.

P.S. our first RV camp experience. When alone I stay in parking lots or dry camping areas. Wife greatly appreciated the RV camp shower and restroom.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If a campground is "too good" for your van, then it's not the kind of place you want to stay at anyway. In fact, the farther removed from these kinds of places you can get the better, that is if you are actually camping and not just repositioning your RV.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote