Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Knocking Vanlife

Ok I came across two articles with some overlap and a person renting a camper van and attempting to winter camp and boondock. Since the writer says he covers tiny homes and van life I would assume he would be more familiar with van life than he makes it out to be and is writing in hyperbole with a preconceived article agenda.

I tried living in a luxury camper van for a weekend during the winter, and I’ll never do it again

I spent a night in camper van in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, and the experience revealed a surprising side of the van life movement

The latter article reminded me of our stay at a Cracker Barrel in the winter in Gallup, NM exactly 5 years ago to this day in 0ºF. temperature arriving after the restaurant closed and waking up with the garbage truck emptying a dumpster. Only we didn't have any problems.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We've all had nights (or days) when something fails and other occassions when surroundings were not totally peaceful. But those are usually few and far between, or you're not doing it right.

One should never (like this writer) write articles with such limited experience. On the other hand, I'm fine with discouraging the masses from thinking it's all fun and adventure all the time. Things are getting crowded enough out there.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:54 PM   #3
Gold Member

If you ask me, anyone who spends $1770 to rent someone's buildout for a weekend at Crackerbarrel gets what he deserves haha.

This is why I've decided to buy a name brand from the 90s instead of renting-before-buying. My monthly payment will be about the same as a couple days rental (not his rental) and I'll get the full experience with different outings.
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
We've all had nights (or days) when something fails and other occassions when surroundings were not totally peaceful. But those are usually few and far between, or you're not doing it right.

One should never (like this writer) write articles with such limited experience. On the other hand, I'm fine with discouraging the masses from thinking it's all fun and adventure all the time. Things are getting crowded enough out there.
Yes, and Arizona is hot and full of stickers, rattlesnakes and gila monsters. Don’t bother showing up.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Yes, and Arizona is hot and full of stickers, rattlesnakes and gila monsters. Don’t bother showing up.
Heh....
Arizona cavers have a saying:
"Arizona has no caves to speak of."
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Clearly someone who has lived his life of white privilege always having someone do everything that was remotely challenging for him and getting awards for last place!

Maybe he should rent that van again and have a homeless vet use it for the weekend.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Clearly someone who has lived his life of white privilege always having someone do everything that was remotely challenging for him and getting awards for last place!
Please tell me that was unsucessful attempt at humor.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
Bronze Member

And you felt the need to bring "social commentary" into the thread, why? Also, if you read the articles closely, it's not a he, it's a she.

Quote:

Maybe he should rent that van again and have a homeless vet use it for the weekend.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

The whole idea of this "review" was misplaced right from the beginning, IMO

Who would ever consider and night at Cracker Barrel as one of the desirable parts of a camping trip with no other places on the trip?

I would guess that for most of us, that overnight would be considered a cheap and available place to sleep on our way to what the camping is really all about. More like staying in a cheap hotel than camping.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
And you felt the need to bring "social commentary" into the thread, why? Also, if you read the articles closely, it's not a he, it's a she.
I did. I think social commentary should be part of any discussions when someone complains about something that most folks could only dream of doing.

Both articles were written by Frank Olito. His female friend is the one who drove the van because he could not handle it. Kudos to her.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Please tell me that was unsucessful attempt at humor.
Just my opinion and if it is flawed I take full responsibility. If I wrote something offensive to you or anyone else I apologize.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:27 PM   #12
Bronze Member

If I want political tinged social commentary, I'll watch the national news. I come to places like this to avoid political commentary.

Quote:
I did. I think social commentary should be part of any discussions when someone complains about something that most folks could only dream of doing.

Both articles were written by Frank Olito. His female friend is the one who drove the van because he could not handle it. Kudos to her.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Heh....
Arizona cavers have a saying:
"Arizona has no caves to speak of."
Have you been to Kartchner Caverns SP in southeast Arizona? Discovered in 1987 and preserved ever since. The most pristine cavern I've ever been in and I have been in most national parks and state parks caverns around the country.

...and the author of those articles can boondock to his heart's content in the parking lot in pleasant weather when the adjacent campground is full.

I think those articles as i said are hyperbole put ons. The writer has experience and has written several van life articles.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #14
Platinum Member

AFAIK, politics, be it social comment or blatant, are against forum policies so I would agree do not belong on here.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Have you been to Kartchner Caverns SP in southeast Arizona? Discovered in 1987 and preserved ever since. The most pristine cavern I've ever been in and I have been in most national parks and state parks caverns around the country.
We got as far as the visitor's center, hoping to get on the wait list, but didn't make it, so we had to settle for the shootout schtick at Tombstone. Definitely plan to try again. However, I have been following the story of Kartchner from the time that it was told in whispers in the caving community. It is indeed a treasure. The political story of how it managed to be preserved from the beginning is as interesting as the geology.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
AFAIK, politics, be it social comment or blatant, are against forum policies so I would agree do not belong on here.
Not sure the comments so far cross the line, but they are close. Let's let it stand but not take it any further. If it does, there will be a wholesale cleanup.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #17
Bronze Member

My mistake. Will not happen again.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #18
Bud
Platinum Member

Davydd, an update - interestingly, more of the same:

https://www.insider.com/disappointin...an-life-2021-2
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #19
Gold Member

Quote:

Who would ever consider and night at Cracker Barrel as one of the desirable parts of a camping trip with no other places on the trip?

I would guess that for most of us, that overnight would be considered a cheap and available place to sleep on our way to what the camping is really all about. More like staying in a cheap hotel than camping.
Yeah, but they have great grits for breakfast!
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:

Agree 100% - my wife barely tolerates an occasional CB stop when in route to a destination.