Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Knots for RV Campers

Have you given any thought to tying a simple knot? This is an important question for anyone stuck in the mud, needing to keep gear in place, tent poles, trailers, coolers, supplies and lots of other stuff like a broken tell pipe off the road.

You may be surprised how many folks who RV have never used a knot. Wonder how stuff came off a vehicle and found it's way onto the roadside or better yet in your lane?

Here are just some five knots every RV owner should know and be ready to use.

1. Truckers Hitch AKA Movers knots.
2. Bowline
3. Half Hitch
4. Halyard Hitch
5. Square Knot

Here is a link for anyone operating a Motorhome of any kind and would like to know how to apply a knot: https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/truckers-hitch
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Being an ex-live aboard boater I know how useful knots can be. The truckers knot is a new one for me but I’ll be using it when I tie loads of brush onto my trailer or picking up furniture for an annual charity yard sale.

Thanks!
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Being an ex-live aboard boater I know how useful knots can be. The truckers knot is a new one for me but I’ll be using it when I tie loads of brush onto my trailer or picking up furniture for an annual charity yard sale.

Thanks!
Thanks and YES, I was a professional Boater for a number of years and still check http://www.VesselTracker.com . But during my youth is where knots were learned and have never stopped. Funny the number of guys I have come across who can not tie or use knots. The Truckers Knot which I had called the movers Knot for years. Here is a wonderful knot site you may also enjoy. https://www.animatedknots.com/ I did not select to use it in the examples as the TRUCKS Knot illustration I did not care for the example.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Dear Knot RVers,

You may have seen the above two links, for RV Camper KNOTS.

Quote:
The Truckers Knot which I had called the mover's Knot for years. Here is a wonderful knot site you may also enjoy. https://www.animatedknots.com/ I did not select to use it in the examples as the TRUCKS Knot illustration I did not care for the example.
I did not use the Animated Knot link as it, in my opinion, is a poor illustration of the Truckers Knot. But truly this is one knot every RVer should know well.

This is a better Illustration of the TRUCKERS KNOT.
https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/truckers-hitch

HOW MANY RV'ers here have used the TRUCKS KNOT or any KNOT? What Knot and why, Thanks
Old 12-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for various information regarding this topic. hope it will add more value to take my final decision.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Ellis View Post
Thanks a lot for various information regarding this topic. hope it will add more value to take my final decision.
You have lost me as I'm wondering how this could add more value?
Old 12-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I second the truckers hitch as a valuable knot typically used in securing a load. I'd add the taut line hitch to use when you may want to adjust the tension on a line such as when securing a line to a tent. I'd add the clove hitch for when you want to simply attach a line or even a strap to a pole or the like. The clove hitch is also great to attach a rope to a tarp that does not already have a grommet or eyelet. simply take a small object like a rock or the like and push it into the area of the tarp where you want to attach; wrapping the tarp around the object then forms a knob where you can attach a rope with the clove hitch. If you keep a container of ropes of various lengths for making clothes lines, securing tarps, etc, i'd suggest putting a butterfly knot on the end of each one just to have it ready. A butterfly knot puts a loop in the end of a rope that can then be used to secure to a pole by passing the rope around the pole and back through the open end of the butterfly or can be used to tighten with a two-to-one advantage if after passing through the open end of the butterfly you pull the free standing end to cinch down on the rope.
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #8

magic's, I too am a x-live a board. knew a guy in Trinidad that could tie a bowline with one hand, jerking it into the air and, boom, a bowline. those were some good times, wife and I were out 7 years.
boutdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

One of the better knot books IMO - "The Morrow Guide to Knots". Don't forget the "water knot" for joining two pieces of webbing together, or the figure 8 family or the "gopher knot". So many knots, so little time. The key is practice, practice and practice. Better to know a few knots well, than a bunch of knots not so well. Keep some short rope in the glove box; it will keep your mind occupied while someone else is driving your RV (the driver will appreciate it ). Great topic Dogman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0748.JPG (117.1 KB, 10 views)
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:52 AM   #10
Gold Member

I agree this is a very useful thread. I was taught the truckers hitch about 40 years ago by a retired trucker and rarely need anything more. I like that I can cinch something tight to prevent movement but, like the Bowline, know I can always 'break it's back' and get it undone without having to cut the rope. The links provided have been fun to refresh my memory of knots I haven't used recently.

With the advent of the small nylon web straps and winches, knot tying is becoming a lost art and that's a real shame. I admit I have some straps & winches but ropes are so much more versatile and I like not needing a piece of specialized hardware.

Thanks for the thread.
Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I've been wearing old man loafers, Merrill jumbo moc slip ons, and Sketchers for so long that when I went to put on my hiking boots this winter I almost forgot how to tie shoe laces.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #12
Gold Member

My dad showed me the truckers knot when i was a kid. He had been using it back in the horse and buggy days. Didn't give it a name, but now I know!
I'm not sure what to call the method in the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiedown1.jpg (31.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

No, I wouldn't tell him. That is an automatic, self adjusting hitch, designed to tighten the load to maximum specifications.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Some Knot Math:

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-mathem...stability.html
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Use this all the time when securing loads to a moving dolly
2. Bowline
The most useful knot
3. Half Hitch
Very useful
4. Halyard Hitch
Sailed for years and never used it. Always spliced in a snap shackle
5. Square Knot
Not the best knot to bend to lines together. I only used as a reef knot
6. Add carrick bend
7. Tugboat Bowline if you need an instant bowline
paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Use this all the time when securing loads to a moving dolly
2. Bowline
The most useful knot
3. Half Hitch
Very useful
4. Halyard Hitch
Sailed for years and never used it. Always spliced in a snap shackle
5. Square Knot
Not the best knot to bend to lines together. I only used as a reef knot
6. Add carrick bend
7. Tugboat Bowline if you need an instant bowline
reviewing your comments for each and understand each of them. Having worked for a long while as a vessel commander. I had not seen or read anything in RV forums about Knots (which I find most useful. So I was suggesting 5-knots for campers to learn.

True about number 4-Halyard Hitch, when correctly used unlike the Bowline can be used when attaching a line/rope to a vehicle's tow hitch, or vehicle Marine U-Bolt anchors, when correctly used makes a strong knot for holding onto metal clits for pulling stuff. Also inside of a trailer to prevent load shifts. as for the suggestion of the "snap shackle," it creates a loop thereby putting the pulling force on the sides of the rope and knots weak areas. The Halyard Hitch can be used closer to the metal hook, anchor thereby less weak spots and on the ability and strength of the rope and not the knot. You are also correct and I often use the "carrick bend" but for a new person to learn them they need to be simple instructive steps. The square knot can in most cases to do the job if by joining a broken line, joining lines for add length. Here I was just trying to keep the newbie rope handler interested, and fun. Keeping someone engaged in completing the task needs to have built-in success for accomplishments and easy recall. Harder and more complicated knots will come over time.

One last point RV'ers unlike boates in almost all cases never need to tie a fast knot. Understand I'm trying to keep them useful, interesting, fun with easy recall when needed. Unlike a boater who may need the same knot 5- or 10 times in a day. Where the RV'er may use once a year.

I'm sure there are lots of good easy knots one can learn as we have over time. I just wanted to show 5-basic knots for the RV camper and there loads. But anything is better than nothing.

One story I'll share I once owned a JEEP Commander fully trail Rated for off-road use. (this means that under the vehicle are protective plates to protect the undercarriage) Diving down a highway some mover with an open trailer had a pillow fly off his trailer onto the roadway. It was about 18" by 18" and YES I hit the pillow and it stopped me dead. On closer examination, the pillow had attached itself onto a two-part cable ripping them off the JEEP. Overtime messed up unknowingly my NEW transmission. I will never own another JEEP after that learning curve.

If the guy had known something about knots it may never have happened.

I truly enjoyed your feedback and hope my reply was clear. I truly did like your insights.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #17
Gold Member

As they say: "Tie a knot, or tie a lot"

Don't ask me who 'they' is.

I have found both boating knots and climbing knots very useful. On top of the trucker's hitch, I often use these:

Prusik knot

Figure eight

Tautline hitch

I also butterfly coil my ropes rather than loop coil them. They don't twist, tangle, or get caught as much. It's especially handy with really long extension cords.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attaching, hook-up, knots, rope, rv knots