Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Laptop / Notebook computer in your RV

Re: Laptop / Notebook computer in your RV

What software do you have installed?

Do you use an installed email program or use web based email?

Maps?

Wifi finder?

Logs, journals?

Internet phone software?

How do you get on the internet? (wifi, satellite, cell)

Owner manual, product manuals?

Anti-virus? Anyone use Avast's free anti-virus?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Platinum Member

On my Laptop, I have:

- Streets and Trips for finding addresses
- DVD movie playing software. Play movies when the weather is bad.
- The Laptop has built in WiFi but I don't have any software to find hotspots.
- I use Yahoo mail for now. I also have MSN Messenger. If WiFi is available, I check mail and use MSN to talk to family.
- I have quite a few kids games on it too. Keeps the kids happy.
- I have Symantic Corporate antivirus on the Laptop. It has XP so the antivirus work allows us to use, works. My main PC has Vista so Symantic won't work. At least the version work has the license for. I use Avast on my main PC.

On my PDA phone, I have TomTom Navigator 6 for the built in GPS. Works real nice but I have to update the files every 2 days.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Laptop / Notebook computer in your RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Re: Laptop / Notebook computer in your RV..?
You betcha. Toshiba Satellite running Vista (old Compaq in pic). MS S&T '07 w/GPS receiver puck. Yahoo e-mail. Campground and other places for wifi. AVG anti-virus.

Matter of fact, I built a laptop pedestal out of PVC, 2 galvanized floor plates and a piece of scrap wood. Swivels so that either or both seats have dedicated views and disassembles for storage, if required (but I leave it in place):

Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
g1g
Platinum Member

I haven't been on any real trips yet just overnighters but I have a laptop with XP and use Delorme w/gps. I have a wifi card but haven't had the chance to use it.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We use a tablet computer in our RV. We use it run a GPS program called
"Co Pilot", along with basic software and some custom software that Chino and my son wrote (http://nav.chino.com) that can track us as we cruise down the road.

We have internet access via a Verizon broadband card. However, we recently switched to Sprint for our cell phones and will most likely switch to their broadband access soon. We never use the WiFi in campgrounds or rest stops, it's just easier to use our own access.

We have out own web based email access which is served out of our home. The laptop is mainly used on the road for GPS services, checking email and weather reports.

No anti-virus since we never download anything.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 AM   #6

I have a mac laptop that we carry in the van. It has a DVD player but it is easier to use the Van's built in one. As our van is an older GWV I took out the old VHS player and put in a DVD. The price of them nowadays is ridiculously low so why not? The Mac has a built in WiFi capability and we very often connect to the internet at Campgrounds if the price is reasonable (which unfortunately it often isn't). We like to check our Email in order to keep in touch. Interestingly there are many free hotspots accessible for the price of a coffee and doughnut as one stops to shop in the towns that are passed through. I can check if there is one on our Mac, often they are "open" and can be used right from the Van. When the wife is browsing in the Quilt stores that seem to magically appear as we travel, I usually sit at a Deli type shop and enjoy a snack as I "surf"( I know.....life is tough!!). We don't bother with any of the GPS "map" type things but others may find them helpful. We don't worry too much about Viruses as the Mac OS is immune, but we do not do any important or financial business while on WiFi. All in all a laptop is a very handy thing to carry, but not essential.
Ferzyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferzyx
............. but we do not do any important or financial business while on WiFi.
I saw a 60 minutes episode where hackers had grabbed financial transaction data transmitted over wifi outside a major retailer.

And I saw a "Scam" type program where the "crook" using airport or hotel wifi setup his laptop as a wifi gateway. Unsuspecting users logged on to his fake portal and he captured their data as they purchased items on the web.

So............ how can I safely do online banking etc. when I'm on the road travelling?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #8

I would suggest using a "landline" connection, eithor in 56K dialup, or Broadband. Our internet provider allows connections by phone from anywhere in Alberta or B C in 56K. Since in most towns or cities this is a local call, I have found that most businesses will allow you to connect if you are at the same time spending money there. To do so simply requires you to unplug the phone from its wall socket and plugging your laptop in instead. It is necessary to carry a length of phone cable that will connect your laptop to the wallsocket as the one on the phone, while it will disconnect from the wall, often will not disconnect from the phone itself. At the worst, if you have urgent business to do, you can book a motel room for the night and use the room phone line. I might add that you can use this method anywhere in North America, its just that it will cost you for a long distance call to one of the providers numbers in Alberta or B C. I would bet that most providers whatever their province do this. Check with your provider. Regardless doing any kind of important, confidential, or financial business over the internet requires serious thought and caution.
Ferzyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #9

Default Sprint Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by julievojo
we recently switched to Sprint for our cell phones and will most likely switch to their broadband access soon.
I teach online and need regular and reliable Internet access. I have used Sprint broadband for over a year now and love it. When I am in metropolitan areas it is about as good as my DSL.

I use a Gateway M275 tablet and/or a Dell duo core notebook. I have a Sony UX280P that came with built-in Cingular broadband. I tried it but it was much slower than Sprint.

If you are looking for wifi I recommend Panera or Atlanta Bread Company stores. As a coffee addict I am very comfortable at either.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
On my Laptop, I have:

- Streets and Trips for finding addresses
- DVD movie playing software. Play movies when the weather is bad.
- The Laptop has built in WiFi but I don't have any software to find hotspots.
- I use Yahoo mail for now. I also have MSN Messenger. If WiFi is available, I check mail and use MSN to talk to family.
- I have quite a few kids games on it too. Keeps the kids happy.
- I have Symantic Corporate antivirus on the Laptop. It has XP so the antivirus work allows us to use, works. My main PC has Vista so Symantic won't work. At least the version work has the license for. I use Avast on my main PC.

On my PDA phone, I have TomTom Navigator 6 for the built in GPS. Works real nice but I have to update the files every 2 days.

Almost identical, except no PDA, no kids games or Avast. Also we use gmail instead of MSN.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
Gold Member

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with wi-fi built in. As a back-up I have an old IBM laptop.

For e-mail use I mainly use Gmail but I also have Yahoo, Myway, Hotmail as webmail services and my regular ISP based service which I can also access using the web. As to the e-mail programs that I use, I have Outlook, Outlook Express and Thunderbird.

I have downloaded a free wi-fi search program called Net Stumbler which identifies all the wi-fi in the immediate area and shows whether they are free or need a password. However, I normally use the program ConfigFree which came with the laptop.

While away for the winter I do all my banking and bill paying on the Internet.
Hallibagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Laptop / Notebook computer in your RV

You probably don't follow this thread anymore but do you still use Net Stumbler?
Is it still relevant, or do you just scan the area now?

Just wondering.

Mike.
p.s. We won't be on our way until 1st Monday in March (aka March 2) may drop in on your
"20" if I can remember which park you're in.