Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Leaking window repair

Last week I was in a 2 day torrential storm here in AZ. Had to deal with a leaking window right over where my pillow is. This was an old problem as I had noticed evidence of water on the plywood under that seat cushion. External inspection did not reveal any cracks in the silicone seal around the window.

The temporary fix was a large microfiber towels folded in thirds and clothespinned to inside of curtain-- this caught the water before it dripped on the bed. Another towel rolled and placed under the window caught the odd drip. I kept searching every window/ door for any other leaks-- NONE! YAY.

So today the window came out--- first the decorative padded window box came off, then the 20 rusty screws, and a lot of pushing from inside to get it out. Then about 3 hours of patiently scraping away all the silicone, then goo- gone, then alcohol. Then new butyl tape and push said window back in the hole and twenty NEW stainless screws later.... will wait for tomorrow sunshine to try it with the hose.
Cross fingers!

Lesson learned? Even a high end company like Bigfoot made mistakes....... I'm only thankful the other side isn't leaking...
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Leaking window repair

That's not your average DIY repair congrats on tackling that yourself.

Was it a sliding side window? If it still leaks check the track for debris blocking any drain holes (if there are any).
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Leaking window repair

HA! It's not the window..... SEE MY NEWEST POST
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote