Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Legroom for driver in Zion

Hey guys,

A little while ago I checked out a RT Simplicity SRT, and for my 6'2" frame the drivers seat was too close to the front, even all the way sliding back to the bathroom wall.

Looking at a Zion now, but can't check it out myself - does anyone know if there is more space/legroom in the Zion compared to the Simplicity? Any experiences if you're tall like me?
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I can’t address your comparison—since they are both PM's, any difference would be whatever behind the seat limits it’s movement.

However, I can address in general the PM seat. It is not unusual for people, particularly tall people, to complain that it is uncomfortable without realizing the amount of adjustment even in the basic seat. The extent of this adjustment may not be immediately obvious. Much more often than not, these same naysayers come back to admit it is very comfortable or even the most comfortable they’ve ever had.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yeah, thanks, but this isn't about the general comfort of the PM seats.

I was hoping that someone as tall as me had sat down in the RT Simplicity driver seat, and like me, realized there was not sufficient leg space, even when sliding all the way back to the baño, and later (or earlier) tried a Zion and found it to be the same or maybe not.

Both have pretty much the same floor plan, so I fear they are not for me, although otherwise I do like the layout of the Zion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZION-Promaster-DAY.jpg (100.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Question related to this [and similar] floorplans. When you swivel both the driver's and the pass seat and put in the little table.....is this usable. I have the same configuration on my 97 PW. It seems that if 2 people sit in the seats that their legs would hit. How would you even get into the seats. Maybe my PW simply has less room? Just curious.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:20 AM   #5
Platinum Member

As I write this, MrNomer and I are sitting in those approximate positions in our PM. Legs aren’t a particular problem, and maybe we could play cards or something on a small table, or rest drinks, but trying to dine at a table could be a problem or recipe for disaster. If eating here instead of the table, we use bowls in our laps and drink holders on the counter and B-pillar.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:30 AM   #6
Platinum Member

So is your RV floorplan similar to the one above? And if so, how do you get into the driver's chair? I'm sure you can see that on this one it looks impossible. Perhaps yours is different in scale.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Ours is DIY. We do not have a table up front. The counter comes so close to the rear of the driver's seat (in its rear-most position) that it kinda wraps around, but the counter is only 20” deep.

Counter hugs seat.

Cupholder has since been modified to include a base.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:11 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Got it. Without the table it's workable. That's some awfully nice woodworking
there. Nicely done and looks very good! Cheers.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
A little while ago I checked out a RT Simplicity SRT, and for my 6'2" frame the drivers seat was too close to the front, even all the way sliding back to the bathroom wall.

Looking at a Zion now, but can't check it out myself - does anyone know if there is more space/legroom in the Zion compared to the Simplicity? Any experiences if you're tall like me?
As to your question. The Zion and Zion SRT/Simplicity and Simplicity SRT have the same cabs and the same seats. That said, there "might" be some variation due to the platform model used. If the platform is a 2018, they were all the same... and a step down in Promaster options, one of which is the number of adjustments built into the seats - very few... and the deletion of the passenger armrest. If you are looking at a used model, it is a crapshoot based on what was in their inventory. For some years, there were 3 levels of platform and variations in seats.

There is a variation in seat height due to which mechanism used for rotation. For example, I tried the seat in some of the earlier years Simplicity and it was so high that my feet barely hit the floor (I'm 5'4") and once I moved it forward enough to reach the pedals, the tops of my legs were jammed into the steering column and dash. Not usable for me.

The seats on my 2018/2019 are stock with the rotation system OEM. My feet hit the floor and it is the most comfortable rig to drive ever for me. I haven't a clue which system is being used in the new Zions under the new company.

Since you are tall... all you can take from my experience is that you will need to sit in any used rig you are thinking of buying.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thank you Mumkin for answering my question! Yes, these are 19's with an 18 chassis year. The Simplicity was definitely too tight, so I figure the Zion isn't for me either. Back on the prowl... for an affordable Class B.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Hey guys,

This question comes up on the forums regularly. At 6'2" you shouldn't have a problem. The seat is higher than a regular car seat. There are lots of guys your height that say once they actually drive the Promaster they find the seat to be very comfortable and don't experience any leg cramping.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote