Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Leisure Travel Unity Flex

These Canadian RV manufacturers are really introducing great products off the Sprinter Chassis. While not a Class B van, the flexibility it offers addresses some of the Class B space challenges in unique ways with a slightly larger footprint.

Unity FX Video
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I was hoping this was going to be their first Transit offering that they have been working on.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Agree. LTV needs to offer something other than overpriced Sprinter-based rigs. Transit and ProMaster units are available elsewhere with more service facilities and much lower cost of ownership.
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Talk about a great use of space... this new unit is amazing. Great for a couple who spend a lot of time living in the rig. A definite lack of hanging space would be my only quibble... and I don't think the "dental floss" (I do love Dean) will work for long term hanging. The bathroom is great.

As to offering lower priced rigs... why should they? They are selling the expensive ones faster than they can build them. Last I spoke to them, they were not even bothering to look at the Promaster (too little weight capacity for them), but were playing around with a Transit cutaway. One may show up eventually, but I don't think they feel the need.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:18 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Mumkin, they have a prototype Transit up at the plant with several chassis sitting out in their lot. They were working on some weight saving ideas for it.
Agree though, they are not in any hurry as their current offerings are selling out quickly, although soon they will be hitting the top price point in the Sprinter offerings to keep their volume up at the same point, (my opinion)...

Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 AM   #6
Bronze Member

LTV saw the light when the got out of the Class B market. Winnebago is now number one in class B sales. Not that long ago WGO had no B's to offer at all.

Would like to see what LTV comes up with on the Transit.
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #7
Platinum Member

The Transit seems to be befuddling all the converters. Too much time has passed now to make excuses for it I think. The Promaster is undersized to be anything other than what it already has achieved.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Talked at length last Saturday to a guy that works at the Ford Kansas City plant. Said the Transit side production is still behind on orders and variations that were supposed to be out by now. Suppliers are giving Ford fits with shortages, which has held up development on new option variations. Diesel engine is one of the shortages.
Ford has finally released the cutaway, (short wheelbase version), for RV production as of a couple months ago with the RV option package. Winnebago, Thor, Coachmen, all have C's coming in January, and Leisure has one coming sooner than later.
Class B's are the big ??? right now....

Old 12-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I see the Transit coming out with a Class B reminiscent of the T1N Sprinter which is not a bad thing since Sprinters grew over 22 feet long with the NCV3s.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Without rotating front seats, there won't be any Transit B's. Just C's.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I agree with DavyDD. The passenger seat is available right now with a rotating seat....

Old 04-04-2016, 02:29 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Default LT Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
I was hoping this was going to be their first Transit offering that they have been working on.....
Leisure Travel Vans - Wonder

LT Wonder is a Transit chassis; they are calling it a "class B+ style class C"
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:20 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Wonder, as in " Wonder why they only offer that stupid murphy bed model ? "
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #14
Platinum Member

The Wonder is a Class C, period. It looks like a classic Class C RV. It's big but then with the Murphy bed design which I noticed people always marveled at it at RV shows makes it an either/or RV. You are either staying up and living or going to bed sleeping. There is no both for two people as in zone living and sleeping. I would pass on that arrangement. However, there seems to be no reason for them not to come out with some of the other Unity based designs in time.

Clue me. The FGB tanks make no sense to me. The Wonder fresh water is 34 gallons, grey tank is 28 gallons and the black tank is a whopping 37 gallons. When I dump I usually balance out and need to add fresh water at the same time. My grey tank is always much fuller than my black tank which I always thought was a good thing because it flushed the hoses after dumping black. This just seems out of whack and has potential for weight overload if all three tanks are not taken care of around the same time. So, if they are then there is a waste of tank space. This is with a chassis that is 700 pounds less GVWR than a Sprinter van.

For comparison in what I am talking about my Advanced RV is 40 gallons fresh water, 26 gallons grey and 18 gallons black. That ratio is working out pretty well timing wise visiting a dump station. My former Great West Van and Pleasure-way had similar tank ratios.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:52 AM   #15
Platinum Member

The Winnebago Transit Fuse tank sizes are also unusual...

23A 27/41/43 Fresh/grey/black
23T 33/43/41
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suza View Post
Leisure Travel Vans - Wonder

LT Wonder is a Transit chassis; they are calling it a "class B+ style class C"
This has been a running issue... with me one of the people nagging them. When Leisure Travel introduced the Serenity and Libero models way back when, they properly called them a Class C. This was added to their traditional Class B line(s).

Then Triple E purchased them... and suddenly all of them became Class B, including the new Unity. I think it stemmed from the fact that EEE was still producing a traditional cab over Class C. They didn't seem to adopt the B+ misnomer.

About a year ago now, they finally started to properly call their rigs Class C. I personally take full credit.

I expect that they are using the "Class B+ style" to help out the clueless who are confused by salesman-speak.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Class B, B+, C? I'm torn and need advice. We are looking a downsizing from a 30 ft 5th-wheel in the next couple of years. Want the convenience of not having to hook up and wondering if we can find a site big enough for the RV and tow vehicle (50 feet total).

Class B:

I like the visibility from inside and the rear doors. Haven't had the opportunity to compare drivability of B/B+/C. Sacrifice in storage, especially exterior, for large items. Looks less like an RV (a box on a van chassis) Sliding door vs hinged; Wet bath; Less head room. Most seem to be two person passenger configurations. There are times we would like to take along a couple of grandkids.

Class B+:

Means different things to different manufacturers, I guess. In my mind, really a class C.

Class C:

More choices in floor plans and chassis. Looks like an RV. Most have dry bath.

One difference I am not sure of, so help me out here: Class B sliding door vs hinged doors. Pros/cons of each? And, the class B rear door access? Would we wish we had this? I'm not sure on that, either. Seems a waste to have those rear doors that serve little purpose. Need more rear storage access or ability to load large cargo, such as bikes/kayaks. There are a few layouts that would accommodate these without having to tow a trailer or utilize exterior racks. Of course, rear doors require mid-cabin bathroom, so some sacrifice. So many things to consider and not a quick decision when you are spending 100K+.

I'm leaning toward the twin bed layouts with a separate sleeping area as a preference. I like some of the new, innovative ideas manufacturers have come up with for tables and seating arrangements. My current favorite is the LT Unity TB.

I'd appreciate any input from those of you who have a wider experience with different RVs. This will be our first motorhome; downsizing from a 30' 5th-wheel.
Suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Rear doors do not require a mid-cabin bathroom, there is at least one model with the bathroom at the back but that may not be something for you depending on your preferences. Look at the Winnebago Travato 59K for a rear bath Class B Promaster floorplan.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #19
Platinum Member

You have to ask yourself what you want to do with an RV. For instance there were about a dozen places we camped last year where a Unity would not fit. That is one of the major reasons I will not consider a small Class C. I agree the Unity is probably the best of the lot in my opinion, but it cannot satisfy my travel goals.

Here are some things to think about.

The RV must be able to travel the Needles Highway from Mount Rushmore to Custer State Park for me. That means then I could probably go anywhere I desire.

The smaller the RV the more you will use it and the more miles you will drive. Do you really want to see the USA? There you go.

Do you desire to mostly camp totally off-grid (boondock) anywhere or do you favor campgrounds with services? I don't know of any Class C that is fully capable of staying off-grid if desired compared to the Roadtrek eTreks and the Advanced RV ecOasis. This is a freedom from anxiety and decide as you go issue that is hard to understand until you have it.

Do you seek some semblance of stealth as in pull over anywhere and get away with it? That gets harder to do with a Brinks truck, emergency vehicle, ice cream truck look painted to scream RV!

Can you live with a wet bath design? True there are a few dry bath shower stalls in Class Bs but tank capacities dictate you then would have to seek full hookup campgrounds to make them fully functional and feasible. Then if you have a dry bath design I doubt you could achieve the next (haul grandkids) since a dry bath separate shower stall design will eat up 20-30% of your available floor space vs. about 6-10% for a wet bath design.

As for grandkids, that is always a desire to travel with them. However, Class Bs are a terrible idea with grandkids unless you want to live and travel in total crowded disarray even if you can find bed space for them. Then they grow up or you reach a done that finality to the idea and now you are stuck with a compromise Class B with extra seating taking away from you more important priorities. Our grandkid trips amounted to about 2% of our travels over a decade.

If those things are not important maybe a Class B is too small.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Here is a good guide to selecting an RV if you want a structured approach...

8-Step Program For Choosing Your First RV