Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Why is that?

We see A's and C's with wheels off the ground all the time. I think it is a CYA liability dodging thing. Perhaps if all 4 were off the ground (like having it on 4 jackstands on bad ground) you might have a bit of rock depending on the snugness of the jacks, but as long as they are hydraulic and not scissor jacks, I think you would be fine. AFAIK, nobody has 4 wheels up, at least not that we have seen.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:49 PM   #42
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We see A's and C's with wheels off the ground all the time. I think it is a CYA liability dodging thing. Perhaps if all 4 were off the ground (like having it on 4 jackstands on bad ground) you might have a bit of rock depending on the snugness of the jacks, but as long as they are hydraulic and not scissor jacks, I think you would be fine. AFAIK, nobody has 4 wheels up, at least not that we have seen.
There could be a flood, good feature and becoming a necessity these days, some places.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:48 AM   #43
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Since moving to our Voila I used Camper Leveler App but I don’t use it often. Problem with this app is sensors location, it is in the phone which needs to be in on a surface representing van’s level. So, it is not likely in your hand. So, if phone is levelled it is difficult to see from the driver site unless a flat horizontal place is built. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true

I think permanently mounted sensor(s) make sense especially if their state is accessible by a driver, either in vie like a bubble or this product - https://logicbluetech.com/product/le...nd-generation/ Sensors are permanently mounted but you can read them via smartphone. As you drive around the site it is easy to pick the most levelled location. I had a similar system for my trailer.

Hi George,

I thought an app might be nice if it is very quick and from the driver's seat. Use bubble to level first, then look at the app for exact inches or whatever. So I downloaded 'camper leveler'. I have not actually used it, but it seems clear that you can calibrate it for your B:

"The app can be calibrated to be used on various locations, like the dashboard, the floor, a chair, a table or any other location, even if this surface is not flat*!

*you need to calibrate the App before using it on a surface that is not flat

*note that when you put your phone on a flat surface, without calibrating, the app will show incorrect results"

Maybe I'm missing something or the app was updated since you installed it, or?

Bud
Old 03-02-2020, 02:52 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hi George,

I thought an app might be nice if it is very quick and from the driver's seat. Use bubble to level first, then look at the app for exact inches or whatever. So I downloaded 'camper leveler'. I have not actually used it, but it seems clear that you can calibrate it for your B:

"The app can be calibrated to be used on various locations, like the dashboard, the floor, a chair, a table or any other location, even if this surface is not flat*!

*you need to calibrate the App before using it on a surface that is not flat

*note that when you put your phone on a flat surface, without calibrating, the app will show incorrect results"

Maybe I'm missing something or the app was updated since you installed it, or?

Bud
Good point about calibration, so as long you have a designated spot accessible from the driver seat you should be OK. I calibrated my phone with on upper dashboard compartment floor and found that phone needs to be in an exact spot and not rotated. This place wasn’t the best choice as it was loaded with maps. Making a little gadget for a permanent phone location in vicinity of the driver seat could make this app very successful.

I found van’s floor or galley’s countertop being the best places to take measurements. A fixed sensor with wireless control and readout would be best choice to meet my needs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Levelers are not made for jacking a vehicle up our off the ground and should not be used for that purpose at all. They are to level out the RV while wheels are still I contact with the ground.
Not always. There are some campsites (Yellowstone NP) that need extreme leveling, and each jack has a 7,000 lb capacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00336_DxO.jpg (1.04 MB, 4 views)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #46
Platinum Member

This is what I use to get me close before using the levelers, if they are needed. I put it on the floor between and just behind the front seats in my Sprinter. Small, cheap, easy and visible from the driver's seat.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B000ED...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Levelers are not made for jacking a vehicle up our off the ground and should not be used for that purpose at all. They are to level out the RV while wheels are still I contact with the ground.
That’s silly. You can’t level with built in levelers if your wheels don’t come off the ground. Think about it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That’s silly. You can’t level with built in levelers if your wheels don’t come off the ground. Think about it.
Yes, you can. The suspension has enough travel for most situations. I do it all the time.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #49
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Good point about calibration, so as long you have a designated spot accessible from the driver seat you should be OK. I calibrated my phone with on upper dashboard compartment floor and found that phone needs to be in an exact spot and not rotated. This place wasn’t the best choice as it was loaded with maps. Making a little gadget for a permanent phone location in vicinity of the driver seat could make this app very successful.

I found van’s floor or galley’s countertop being the best places to take measurements. A fixed sensor with wireless control and readout would be best choice to meet my needs.
George, just returned from the obligatory Loud onan exercise, plus drive since it had been 2 months. I just put the phone across the middle cup holder in the Express Van. The generator and van engine were both running, the thing is sensitive and continues to display different leveling needs. But hey, not important.

I fire up the app driving to my camping spot, level the van with the bubble so fewer levelers are needed. I have already while driving activated the app, then pulled the phone for navigation off a magnet on the dash to over the center cup holder. Kill the engine, in a second or so the readings will be stable and provide the answer. I wonder how often I'll use it, should be fun though.

Thank you.

Bud
Old 03-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #50
Platinum Member

On my previous trailer RV I was able level it side to side within 3” delta using air bags which was sufficient for most campsites. Electric tongue jack gave me almost unlimited range fore and aft.

Taking vehicle wheels off the ground is likely OK as long lifts are mounted in accordance with vehicle manufacturing specs. On Sprinters there are designated places to place a jack for tires changes, similar rules apply for levelling jacks.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
George, just returned from the obligatory Loud onan exercise, plus drive since it had been 2 months. I just put the phone across the middle cup holder in the Express Van. The generator and van engine were both running, the thing is sensitive and continues to display different leveling needs. But hey, not important.

I fire up the app driving to my camping spot, level the van with the bubble so fewer levelers are needed. I have already while driving activated the app, then pulled the phone for navigation off a magnet on the dash to over the center cup holder. Kill the engine, in a second or so the readings will be stable and provide the answer. I wonder how often I'll use it, should be fun though.

Thank you.

Bud
Have fun with it, knowing exactly how much lift per wheel is necessary speeds up leveling.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #52

Has anyone thought about a bubble level mounted to the ceiling?
skunberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunberg View Post
Has anyone thought about a bubble level mounted to the ceiling?
Might be hard to make that work.

However, another option is a pair of linear bubble levels mounted at right angles on vertical surfaces at a corner of a cabinet. On our old rig, we did that on a cabinet just behind the driver's seat. Saves scarce counter space.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:29 AM   #54
Platinum Member

I have a solution. Make it Felony to construct a pad site more than 2-3 degrees off level. Make it a Capital Offense if the site is off both lengthwise and side-to-side.

I was at Falcon State Park, TX a few weeks ago. All sites were fairly new, paved, and off level. Argggggh!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I have a solution. Make it Felony to construct a pad site more than 2-3 degrees off level. Make it a Capital Offense if the site is off both lengthwise and side-to-side.

I was at Falcon State Park, TX a few weeks ago. All sites were fairly new, paved, and off level. Argggggh!
Believe it or not, it is code to have a concrete pad slightly off level to allow for water drainage. There is a specific number, but I don't remember what is is.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #56
Platinum Member

I had one of the apps for leveling on my phone for a while just to see how it worked. It did tell the amount per wheel once you put in wheelbase and track information.

In a weird bit of fate, or physics more likely, we found it seemed to give us the wrong amount of lift per wheel, making for numerous cycles of adding or subtracting as it zeroed in on level (which we would mean within 1" approximately which puts the bubble all within the circle on our bullseye). The issue appears to be because the vans are sitting on springs of various rates and then if you put sway bars into the picture it gets even worse. We have a very large rear bar in our Chevy with lower rear spring rate and a slightly reduced size bar with higher rate than stock in the front. Springs allow a wheel to move up without moving the van body as much depending on how the weight changes as you lift by unloading other wheels. The sway bar makes an axle end pair of them so one wheel can't move by itself which helps the issue of spring compression on one end but seems to worsen the side to side prediction.

I think that with practice it could be learned how much to allow from what was given, or perhaps some can be programmed with a fudge factor by wheel, but we found it to not be a one shot block add on our van.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:23 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Believe it or not, it is code to have a concrete pad slightly off level to allow for water drainage. There is a specific number, but I don't remember what is is.
I know, I'm too harsh . . . . or am I?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
What code? I’ve never encountered such a requirement in my architectural career. It is common sense to have positive drainage for exterior surfaces especially around building foundations where it is a code requirement but it is not a requirement for a parking area for an RV. I have encountered several dead level concrete slabs and I am on one in Santa Fe right now.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
What code? I’ve never encountered such a requirement in my architectural career. It is common sense to have positive drainage for exterior surfaces especially around building foundations where it is a code requirement but it is not a requirement for a parking area for an RV. I have encountered several dead level concrete slabs and I am on one in Santa Fe right now.

I think the codes are more for roads, sometimes driveways, patios, etc and not aimed at RV pads. The ones I have seen range from 1//16" per foot to about 1/4" per foot.

The problem that comes with a "level" pad is that level doesn't necessarily mean flat. Settling, installation tolerances, etc will make for low and high spots that can hold water, which can be a big irritation on a campsite, especially when it get dirt in it and turns muddy, and not good for the concrete either. If the drainage can be worked out to function right, it works well to slope either for and after or side to side to the center. You get good drainage and the wheels are sitting level.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess the contractor who put in a concrete parking pad for my RV lied to me. PS - It was nowhere near any of my buildings.