Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Takes two levels; one front to back and one side to side.

It only takes one level if you use a bullseye level like we do.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #22
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It only takes one level if you use a bullseye level like we do.
I guess I stand corrected!!!! [emoji846]
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Here's a fancy one with degree markings
bullseye bubble level.jpg

If oriented as shown and visible from the drivers seat, then the passenger side front would need to be raised a bit to be perfectly level. It wouldn't take long at all to relate & remember degrees to inches.

Most folks would probably find that as long as the bubble is within the center circle then all is good.

The nice thing about having a bullseye level visible while you are still in the drivers seat is that just moving the van forward or back often results is a level enough spot. The feedback is pretty much instantaneous. I prefer finding a level enough area on the campsite to having to use blocks.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #24
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Here's a fancy one with degree markings
Attachment 8787

If oriented as shown and visible from the drivers seat, then the passenger side front would need to be raised a bit to be perfectly level. It wouldn't take long at all to relate & remember degrees to inches.

Most folks would probably find that as long as the bubble is within the center circle then all is good.

The nice thing about having a bullseye level visible while you are still in the drivers seat is that just moving the van forward or back often results is a level enough spot. The feedback is pretty much instantaneous. I prefer finding a level enough area on the campsite to having to use blocks.
If I were to start pulling into a campsite and not get to play with my blocks geeze i would become an old man or something [emoji23]
Old 02-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
If I were to start pulling into a campsite and not get to play with my blocks geeze i would become an old man or something [emoji23]
You could try to find an unlevel spot at the site using a level.

Skol.

I also use a bullseye level and just set it on the ash tray lid on the dog house. This is on a '00 Chevy RT.

I do like that one with the degree markings as mine does not seem to be that sensitive.

Off to Google/Amazon I go.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Default From the OP

Thanks guys. I was just curious as to whether or not there was some new way to level that I was missing. I'm going to experiment around with mounting the time tested bubble level in a location that I can see from the driver's seat. That simple solution seems in keeping with my techless 97 PW. best.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:48 AM   #27
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Thanks guys. I was just curious as to whether or not there was some new way to level that I was missing. I'm going to experiment around with mounting the time tested bubble level in a location that I can see from the driver's seat. That simple solution seems in keeping with my techless 97 PW. best.
The newest way to level is use a smartphone app, but I just ordered a bullseye level that I'm going to place in view from the drivers seat. I'll bet if I could find a level parking spot easily I could live without playing with my blocks. [emoji16]
Old 02-25-2020, 04:11 AM   #28
Platinum Member

There are bubble level type indicators meant for off road vehicles that measure both axis, visible from the front, marked in degrees, if one really wants to avoid batteries.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:13 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Use one of the phone apps that tell you how many inches of blocks to put under which wheels, the Truma one is free. I use lifting airbags to level out our 27,000 lb truck along with the Truma app.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #30
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I do not recall which PW you have, but since there is a good chance a top was added maybe it is like booster's and my Roadtrek 190P's.

In this thread when booster's bubble solution was posted I thought, Darn why didn't I think of that, I have the same B, same cab area unless booster has modified what is just over the windshield and driver's door. The downside of boosters method is opening the door. After I read it I just forgot about it.

With your post, I thought for the first time what if I went and just added booster's cool bubble method? Which method would I use, my present method or would I open the door? I don't know, interesting. I may add the bubble and find out. Mine:

Sitting in driver's seat I simply look up. Just over the windshield is the door to a cabinet where I have one of the bubble things for side to side and just above the driver's door is another for front to back axis. They are near each other, so it is quick. I do at times like others need move around a little to get level, actually more like trying to avoid levelers. If needed, I just look at the 2 bubble things and compute how many where, OK I guess at. My guesses are just acceptable enough to not need a cell phone or whatever.

I would rather use one bubble, I just don't want to open the door while leveling. I think I have a bubble and silicon, so maybe I need a very small project, enjoy yours.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I hear you on the having to open to door to the level, I have looked for a better place quite few times, all unsuccessfully. The good is it that you can see it easily from outside the van, so when I use the air bags to level to front rear a bit, I can use it from outside.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Since moving to our Voila I used Camper Leveler App but I don’t use it often. Problem with this app is sensors location, it is in the phone which needs to be in on a surface representing van’s level. So, it is not likely in your hand. So, if phone is levelled it is difficult to see from the driver site unless a flat horizontal place is built. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llReviews=true

I think permanently mounted sensor(s) make sense especially if their state is accessible by a driver, either in vie like a bubble or this product - https://logicbluetech.com/product/le...nd-generation/ Sensors are permanently mounted but you can read them via smartphone. As you drive around the site it is easy to pick the most levelled location. I had a similar system for my trailer.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #33
BBB

Bubble level on phone set on cup holder or floor in 2019 Lexor TS. Simple, fast, easily read from drivers seat.
BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #34
Gold Member

In 1995 the fridge could be off six degrees and work properly. They are not as finicky as the 80's design.
We level ours more for sleeping. I use two scissor Jack's on jacking points in the front to level it and made a stabilizer in the rear to keep it Rock solid. You can go in and out and the wind can blow without rocking the motorhome. Just carry a six inch level around and put it on a spot I know it even with floor being level
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #35
Platinum Member

I was just in a private campground with back in concrete pad sites and every one needed leveling as they sloped downward toward the driveway. I don’t know what they were thinking. It was a good 3” on my van. It was a good location to see how everyone solved the leveling. One Unity had automatic levelers and the front tires were up in the air. I think I might get them on my next B since they take the guess work out of leveling. They have other uses as well such as getting out of stuck tires in sand and snow and changing tires. ARV installs them on just about every B out the door now.

Dispersed BLM land camping is great in the desert. You drive around until you get a spot that is exactly level. I did that Friday at Quartzsite.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #36
Platinum Member

We have twin levels visible from the driver's seat in our '01 Roadtrek 200. We only level enough for comfortable walking, or to ensure the floor drains correctly if we plan to take showers inside. Many years ago I installed computer fans to create forced draft through the fridge coils. The refrigerator always works perfectly.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #37

Default Cell Phone Level

I use an app called Truma. I use their leveling tool. I open the app and go to leveling tool. ThenI place my phone on the center of the floor/vehicle (190 Popular Chevy 2007). It tells me exactly which wheels to raise and exactly how much. Great app for RV use.
sally4157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #38
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I was just in a private campground with back in concrete pad sites and every one needed leveling as they sloped downward toward the driveway. I don’t know what they were thinking. It was a good 3” on my van. It was a good location to see how everyone solved the leveling. One Unity had automatic levelers and the front tires were up in the air. I think I might get them on my next B since they take the guess work out of leveling. They have other uses as well such as getting out of stuck tires in sand and snow and changing tires. ARV installs them on just about every B out the door now.

Dispersed BLM land camping is great in the desert. You drive around until you get a spot that is exactly level. I did that Friday at Quartzsite.
Levelers are not made for jacking a vehicle up our off the ground and should not be used for that purpose at all. They are to level out the RV while wheels are still I contact with the ground.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #39
Platinum Member

PS Our levels are curved RV levels that indicate how many inches the wheels are off level.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Levelers are not made for jacking a vehicle up our off the ground and should not be used for that purpose at all. They are to level out the RV while wheels are still I contact with the ground.
Why is that?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote