Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Lift and tires

Anyone added lifts and larger tires to a Mercedes Winnebago Era
Your thoughts about cost/handling/transmission issues/road noise
Thanks
Steve Lesniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Very likely you'll find someone who can help you. It's just that I wouldn't have paid attention to those threads.

I know of several threads on lifting the Chevy Express (I even started one). But they would not translate to your vehicle other than the fact they might mention supplies of springs, spacers, and bump-stops who probably also make products for Sprinters.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:43 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Tires and lift

Thank you for your reply
Old 08-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lesniak View Post
Anyone added lifts and larger tires to a Mercedes Winnebago Era
Your thoughts about cost/handling/transmission issues/road noise
Thanks
We have a 2014 Leisure Travel Vans Free Spirit on MB Sprinter 3500 chassis. Similar to your Era. Bought it used last year with 50k miles on it.

Noise:
The key is the tire selection. It had the original Continental VancoFourSeason LT 215/85 R 16 when web bought it. These tires were very noisy. We could hardly hear each other talk when at highway speeds. After researching test results and user reviews on Tire Rack, looking specifically at noise level of the tires, I chose the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. All season, but with severe Snow Service Rated. Cabin noise level dropped by half. Super quiet now.

Handling:
I added SumoSprings and cannot believe what a difference they make in reducing body roll. This is particularly noticeable on twisty back roads, but it also helps on freeways with cross winds. It really is like a different van now. Transformable addition to the van.

We bought from eTrailer, but available from Amazon and other outlets. Easy to install.
Front: https://www.etrailer.com/p-SSF-106-40.html
Rear: https://www.etrailer.com/p-SSR-338-47.html
DaveWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I can second the selection of the Agilis on a Sprinter 3500 RV.

When I first got the RV I put 235/85/16 XPS traction tires on it. The ride was rough and I noticed the dual tires touch at the bottom.

If you search the internet for dual tires touching at the bottom you can get any number of answers from no problem to big problem. The only "official" information I could find was from the Michelin truck tire guide. It has specifications for rim width and wheel centerline spacing for various tire sizes. The stock sprinter wheels do not meet the specifications for using 235/85/16 tires. The Alcoa aluminum wheels are the same size as stock. So they also don't make the wheel specification.

Personally I think that when the dual tires touch at the bottom the two tires side walls cannot flex independently so the ride is harsher.

I have gone back to 215/85/16 Agilis tires and think they are great. The Sprinter is still a truck at heart. But, at least it is better ride with the correct size Agilis tires.
FredA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
Silver Member

Head over to the van forum at expeditionportal.com, you can find lots of info and recommendations on larger tires, lifts and all manner of possible off highway mods.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Default Tires and lift

Thank you for your reply.
I will go with the Michelin agility
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWA View Post
We have a 2014 Leisure Travel Vans Free Spirit on MB Sprinter 3500 chassis. Similar to your Era. Bought it used last year with 50k miles on it.

Noise:
The key is the tire selection. It had the original Continental VancoFourSeason LT 215/85 R 16 when web bought it. These tires were very noisy. We could hardly hear each other talk when at highway speeds. After researching test results and user reviews on Tire Rack, looking specifically at noise level of the tires, I chose the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate. All season, but with severe Snow Service Rated. Cabin noise level dropped by half. Super quiet now.

Handling:
I added SumoSprings and cannot believe what a difference they make in reducing body roll. This is particularly noticeable on twisty back roads, but it also helps on freeways with cross winds. It really is like a different van now. Transformable addition to the van.

We bought from eTrailer, but available from Amazon and other outlets. Easy to install.
Front: https://www.etrailer.com/p-SSF-106-40.html
Rear: https://www.etrailer.com/p-SSR-338-47.html
Old 08-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Thank you for your reply. I will go with the Michelin agilis
Old 08-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Thank you for your reply. I will go with the Michelin agisis
Old 08-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
Head over to the van forum at expeditionportal.com, you can find lots of info and recommendations on larger tires, lifts and all manner of possible off highway mods.
Thank you!
Old 08-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Thank you!
Old 08-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I have the Agilis on my chev

costco had the best pricing, but no availability

discount tire price matched

for my chev after rebates and stuff about $760

I am quite happy with the crossclimates- they are particularly good in standing water, resisting hydroplaning

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, tires