Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
CSG

Default Line X Ultra for refinishing PW Traverse pop-up roof?

My '02 Traverse lives outside 24/7 and over the years, the clear coat has, mostly, come off and there are what the paint and body shops small stress cracks along the edges. Three body shops suggested taking it to our local Line X for coating the top. They have a product called Ultra which is smoother and lighter than the typical bed liner coatings. Seems to be pretty popular with the off-road crowd.

Much cheaper than painting the top ($1000+ for prep and paint vs. $600 for prep and coating).

Just wonder if anyone's had any experience using this product or similar to recoat their fiberglass tops?
CSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:59 AM   #2
CSG

Wow, 63 views and not a single thought about this?
Old 07-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Ok, I'll post. I'm curious to see what you do.

The factory paint job on a T1N Sprinter is terrible. My roof is awful, the original owner left it out in the southern California sun for 11 years. The second owner was going to put Monstaliner on the roof, he had the body touched up in areas. I considered it but the roof leaked so bad I spent months finding all of the areas water was getting in. I don't like the texture of typical bedliner and got a sample of the smoother liner but couldn't figure how to paint something that high and was worried it wouldn't last long.

About 2 years ago I got a $5K quote to repaint only the the roof, they said their paint job would last 5 years. I bought rattle can automotive paint, removed all the rust I could from the gutters and primed and painted. I'm not that great at spray can painting but it looks better than the rust and I spent about $100. I still have some rust spots on the roof I'm thinking of spraying. I will have to do something better in the future because I have 2 areas I can't fix. I would like to repaint the whole thing but worry the cost would be too high.

Your situation may be easier because you aren't dealing with rust. I should put more effort into getting quotes but I get tired of the outrageous quotes and condescension. I really don't want to go to Mexico to get it repainted either which is a common suggestion.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
CSG

Thanks, Lennie. I am looking, specifically, at using Line X Ultra to recoat the top. I have yet to hear a negative from local body shops who all suggested it vs. painting.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you do the Line X Ultra please post if you like it or not. I may consider it for the roof area above the gutter for my Sprinter and ask my brothers to get quotes for me on the sides because they're always quoted significantly lower prices (unfortunate but true).
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
CSG

It may not happen until fall. I was told this product likes to take it's time curing fully and prefers humidity during that curing stage (something in short supply during our hot summers in the high desert of Idaho).
Old 07-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Default Traverse Fiberglass Top

I also own an 02 Traverse and I'm getting some cracking along the windshield area where the thin fiberglass meets the gasket. Bids to repair the fiberglass are all over the board. I may look into the Line X Ultra. Let me know if you do the coating. I'm in North Central WA State. Don't see many Traverses but I like mine much better that the VW's I've had in the past.
garita is offline   Reply With Quote