Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Marko,

As usual manufacturers quote ideal conditions. Keep in mind most batteries are in the back of the van and there is line loss and what not. I have no idea what wire size Roadtrek uses but Advanced RV uses the largest practical 4/0 with similar results of the Nations alternator and air conditioning even with the high-idle option. So, I would not think that would be a sole cause. You are right, the lithium batteries can pretty much take all you can slam into them limited by what the wire can deliver. I just don't think alternators perform as well as stated in real conditions. They tell you 165 amps at 200F but is that a reading when that temperature is reached and not over a period of time? The 270 amps probably occurs very briefly at startup from what I glean from my readouts. Since the problem is happening, that tells me real conditions can be different than tested.

The one last poster in that Roadtreking thread was simply saying that after you initially use up your battery reserve running your air conditioner, the Voltstart comes on but the air conditioning draw (and obviously other electrical draws) just about equals out what the alternator can produce at idle. So you never re-charge your battery and you run through your 5 auto starts one after another. Part of that is Roadtrek's 35 minute limit. That would not recharge a lithium battery bank as it would only put about 100ah back into the battery reserve in one idle run even if the air conditioner was not on.

This is not an overnight issue in my mind. This is a boondocking daytime issue during the heat of the day, and pet issue, that isn't being met. If you don't have pets if you have a sliding door screen and back door screen you can keep your van at ambient temperature with a ceiling fan without air conditioning and not turn it into an oven. It is not or I should say should not be an overnight issue since most campgrounds have generator hour restrictions and running a diesel Sprinter engine or a gas engine is every bit as noise obnoxious as a generator especially in the dead of the night.

The answer my friends is seek shore power. We did that in Palm Springs this year when we were going to be gone most all day with friends and had a cat on board. That was pre-Delco alternator install. You can only trust unattended automatic technology so far.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #102
Platinum Member

The FB post said the batteries went into shutdown during the second voltstart run. It never got to 3,5 or 5.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
The FB post said the batteries went into shutdown during the second voltstart run. It never got to 3,5 or 5.
That's the "death spiral" I mentioned that ARV described. Electrical use was outstripping available electrical input. Since Voltstart does not come on until you are near DOD then you are running thereafter right on the edge and dropping off. As I said, test data theory obviously does not equate to real data. I also said ducting air to that Nations alternator is not going to solve Roadtrek's problem they were discussing. I don't even think they were considering their vampire loss either in that discussion. That might be a contributor to the problem.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 AM   #104
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We may be heading back to conventional generators for AC, or using the van AC instead if you don't want a stand alone generator.
Well, I for one am heading toward a smaller, quieter, more efficient DC-powered, split undermount A/C. IMO, it makes much more sense to attack the problem at the consumption end rather than trying to build and maintain absurdly large power capabilities. Also IMO, the A/Cs that are typically installed in B vans are irrationally oversized for the purpose, except in the most extreme conditions (and I'm not sure about those). I have no desire to make our van cold enough to make ice cubes. A small, continuously-running unit will dehumidify optimally, and (I think) cool adequately for comfortable sleeping. (I do admit that I know nothing of this whole "pet" thing). I may be eating my words after I accomplish this project, but I am betting not.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #105
Platinum Member

The van with the issue being discussed in the Roadtreking link is a Chevy, 190 as I recall...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote