Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default living in a van and having wireless internet service

hello i was wondering about something if a person is living in their camper van (sole home ) and wanted to have wireless internet how could they do it ?? what company would be the best so theirs no long distance charges if you just live in one city ( not just traveling around ) ? can it be done as long as you have a rented post office box ? or do you have to have a regular address to ?? (like using a friends but still yet get your mail delivered to the post office box .
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: living in a van and having wireless internet service

I don't know what you have to do re: an address..........

I like member Tiki Hut's wifi setup:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=762&p=2757#p2757
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Hi. Here in the Fraser valley B.C. Bell Canada and Rogers offer a wirekess modem that will give you highspeed internet service. You need to plug the modem into a power source ( electric plug in at campground, generator or an inverter) and be close enough to the the towers that carry the cell phone waves. You buy the modem for $100 and pay a monthly fee of $40. I have the Bell system and it works fine so far. Use your employers address, (with permission) family or friend or a country mail box (general delivery) Call Bell and Rogers for more info.
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Hi. Here in the Fraser valley B.C. Bell Canada and Rogers offer a wirekess modem that will give you highspeed internet service. You need to plug the modem into a power source ( electric plug in at campground, generator or an inverter) and be close enough to the the towers that carry the cell phone waves. You buy the modem for $100 and pay a monthly fee of $40. I have the Bell system and it works fine so far. Use your employers address, (with permission) family or friend or a country mail box (general delivery) Call Bell and Rogers for more info.
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hey abacusblack,
I have 2 questions. Is that $40/mo. with or without taxes and all the other fees (system access, 911, etc.)? Is there a roaming charge for usage south of the border (USA/Mexico), or does it work everywhere in NA where there's cell phone service? Would love to get rid of my cable and internet service, and possibly replace with satellite TV and this thing you've mentioned, if I could get a less expensive replacement that didn't have roaming surcharges like my Bell Prepaid cell phone. And if it were cheaper, I'd dump the phones too, since all my contacts at the home base have email or IM. Those with cellphones, I can text through email, so I'd think all the bases might be covered, as we're never in a hurry to reach or be reached.

Just curious,
Mike.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Silver Member

I finally went and got a Verizon aircard. Costs 60.00US a month and seems to work everywhere I go so far.

Over the road wireless for dummies is worth reading too. I recommend it.
Chip