Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #1

Default Location fuel filter Dodge 3500 5.7L- Roadtrek 190 Popular

Hello all, just joined the site, looking for info. on DIY issues. Thanks in advance for any help.
Doug
Dugefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Hi there,
What year is your Dodge ?
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

suggest for Dodge stuff you check a dodge van forum

it is very possible that you rv model year and your chassis model year are not the same. most RV model years are 1 year later than chassis

this is important when shopping parts or looking up how to repair something

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #4

'96 Thx. for responding-
Doug
Dugefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I just looked up the filter on Rock Auto and then the fuel pump that goes in the tank.

It shows the filter on the bottom of the fuel pump, so you would have to remove the tank and pull out the pump to replace the filter.

It is a very large filter so shouldn't really need replacing, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:11 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm not positive as it's probably best to consult the service manual. According to mine, booster is correct in that there is a "tank fuel filter" (manual description) which sits in the fuel tank and requires tank removal to service. It does state that there is also an "inline fuel filter" which is part of the fuel regulator. I've never replaced that on my 97PW (96 Dodge chassis) so I can't really say for certain.

The PW I have is built on a Dodge Ram Van/Wagon chassis. I bought a service manual used on-line from Amazon. It's quite extensive; 8x10" and 2" thick. It's helped me out with quite a few issues and is specific to year. Try googling "1996 dodge ram van/wagon service manual" and you should be able to find one used. I paid about $48 5 years ago. Now they seem to be going for c.$80 but I think that you can find it in PDF form or on eBay for less.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Hi, there,
I do have the Chrysler service manual, and there is only one fuel filter located inside the upper casing of the fuel pump. The fuel pump itself is a whole unit, embedded in the fuel tank and is not acessible without lowering the fuel tank. But you should run a fuel pressure test to make sure the problem is in the pump. Please send me a private message and I will provide PDF pages of the manual, showing the pump, filter and the test procedure. Have a nice day !
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #8

I have a '95 Dodge Sportsmobile and can confirm that the fuel filter is integrated into the fuel pump. Since you have to drop the fuel tank and remove the fuel pump to access the filter you might as well just replace the fuel pump at that time. They do have a tendency to die at inappropriate times.

Having recently done this I can state that at least with the clearances I have in the Sportsmobile (spare tire mounted on a carrier, etc.) this is something that can be done by one person with a decent floor jack and motivation to get 'er done.

2 words of advice -- 1) the less fuel there is in the tank the easier it is to man-handle the tank around as you drop it. 2) At least in the '95 pump there is a large black plastic plug on the top of the pump that will need to be removed from the old pump and inserted in the new pump. You might want to pry it out of the old pump before you remove the pump from the tank for better leverage. It's a pain to get it out. For sure you should put the new pump in the fuel tank and lock it down before inserting the plug. This will give you a solid surface to hold the pump as you push/pry/hammer/curse at the plug getting it in. Voice of experience here...

Eric W.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote