Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Default Looking for a Pleasure-Way Excel, my thoughts...

Okay, now that I've finally been able to spend time in both a Pleasure-Way Lexor and Excel (the two used models I had narrowed down to), I really think the Excel will be a better fit for what I need.

That said, I'm concerned about sway issues, and the inconsistency of reports. Some had issues with sway, others didn't - in the same model year. Some fixes worked for some, others didn't. But from what I've read, once people worked out the sway issues, they all loved the Excel.

My research says that the worse years for sway tended to be in the chassis build years of 2008-2011. But sway was reported in builds before that and after, so I think the best thing to do would not to count anything out - to test drive any model I'm interested in, on the interstate, at speeds above 60, with trucks rolling by. Hopefully that'll be enough to tell me whether there are issues or not.

Am I on the right track? Anything else I should look for that's specific to the Excel's?

Thanks, again, for your help with this (and previous) questions. I'm getting close now.
MyJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think Pleasureway started putting a rear sway bar in the Excel somewhere along the time you are talking about. That would help the sway and wander a lot. IIRC it was a standard aftermarket part you could also have put in if it didn't have one. Others have said that using the Michelin XPS rib tires with the stiff sidewalls helps, like it does on the Dodges.

Handling is extraordinarily subjective. Some thing you think is scary, others would think is just fine. Stuff some folks think are scary might be fine to you. The only way is to try them yourself under lots of conditions. Hopefully you will find several to drive to see if there is a range of handling.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The Ford chassis has long standing issues with sway and jounce. But there are many mods you can make it better. Larger sways, airbags or timbrens, better tires, steering stabilizer, etc. Do search on "cheap handling fix" on some of the forums and you'll find very long threads on the issue.

The chassis design is rather old and hasn't improved much over the years, so there aren't really better years than others. They are all about the same.

A friend bought a slightly used 2014 coach and was having handling issues with it. He ordered a steering stabilizer thing to improve the handling. When he took it to the shop, they discovered broken off bolts on the front and rear end links on his sway bars. So after fixing that, and installing the stabilizer, he's very happy with it now.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've looked at a lot of Ford based Excels online and there's been a steady stream of variations over the years

Earlier units had a built in coffee maker, newer ones don't. TV's, even LCD's, were in a hinged mini cabinet useful for storing remotes and stuff. The TV is just attached to a mount in newer units. Solid surface counter tops in newer units. Ultra leather also.

I think there was an extra hanging wardrobe option in earlier units even with the power sofa.

The air conditioner was moved from the top of the coach to the rear of the coach in newer units and it has a heat pump and it gives more headroom in the rear but you loose some cabinet space.

Some units have a compressor for the suspension air bags and some only have valves like a tire valve. Some might not even have air bags.

Lots of ex-rentals and lots without a generator from what I've seen.

Most seem to have one coach battery.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

Just joined this forum - this is my first post !
Did a lotta research - reading and talking to owners prior to purchase.

Decided on a Pleasure Way Excel. Impressed with the build quality !
Two big concerns: First - limited to a max height of 9 ft for carport.
Second was the engine - we do a lotta driving in the mountains.
Therefore, the 6.8L V-10 was the answer IAW my research.

Bottom Line: Last May, I found a 2012 with approx 30,000 miles - in Arizona. Flew out, picked it up and drove it back to Virginia via the Grand Canyon - getting 13.5 mpg with 'spirited' interstate driving; better than my King Ranch with twice the weight.

Also, just returned from two weeks in The Adirondacks... getting 12.5 mpg overall, to include using the GenSet and lottsa stop/start on uphill grades.

Think you'll enjoy a Pleasure Way Excel !
BriteEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

i researched excels in the past.
there seems to be no 'rhyme or reason' on which ones sway.

I would take an extensive drive of the used one you are looking at
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #7

Agree with gerrym51 !

That makes the difference between a wise investment . . . or a costly expense.

Plus, since there were no records available for the 2012 Pleasure Way that I was considering, I got a CarFax vehicle history report, which seems to be a de rigueur procedure these days.

Then, when I returned home . . . I took it to the Ford dealership Truck Division where I had purchased my King Ranch. . . as I had developed a good working association with them; they have an excellent tech and mechanic staff that provides terrific support, especially the service manager.

They inspected the E-350 chassis - e.g., engine and drive-train components, NOT the "RV components" - e.g., fridge,furnace,stove.

So . . . coordinated ahead of time . . . they kept it for a day to develop a baseline assessment and establish any existing issues and future maintenance requirements. Everything checked out "OK".
BriteEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #8
Bronze Member

We've had our 07 excel a few months and here is my take on the ride: very comfortable on long trips, easy driving thro town traffic, decent road handling at highway speeds-unless it is high cross winds or semis sucking at you as they pass, then there is some wander. I've driven class As that were worse. It is enough to make me keep the speed down. We are glad we chose the PW excel. They are put together to last.
pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote