Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #21
Platinum Member

So I looked up the Hymer Axion Loft because I was wondering how you would fit a bathroom along with all the other stuff into that size. It is a unique layout that packs in a lot.

Limitations I see: the fold-out sofa bed is pretty small, and there is no rear travel seating. The former limits the appeal for couples and the latter rules out families. The loft isn’t as useful without seating for the extra passengers. Guess it’s all about trade-offs.

I see the design as having limited appeal in the NA market. Seems to me you’ll have to wait for a used one or do a custom build.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Look no further than the Pleasure-Way Tofino. 17 ft. long and a pop-top. I just got mine and love it!
He already decided that a bathroom and AC were required and the Tofino doesn't have either.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Look no further than the Pleasure-Way Tofino. 17 ft. long and a pop-top. I just got mine and love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
He already decided that a bathroom and AC were required and the Tofino doesn't have either.
Right, thanks mumkin. Besides that, I don't love the layout of the Tofino. It seems like a lot of empty space in there. Worse, the regular height of it prevents you from standing up. There is a little cutout when you lift up the pop top, but standing there (I am 6'2") I'd be staring at the side curtains. How do you cook in there?? The ones I have been looking at pop up almost the entire roof, and push the bed platform up, so you get basically an extended height cab as soon as you settle down.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Right, thanks mumkin. Besides that, I don't love the layout of the Tofino. It seems like a lot of empty space in there. Worse, the regular height of it prevents you from standing up. There is a little cutout when you lift up the pop top, but standing there (I am 6'2") I'd be staring at the side curtains. How do you cook in there?? The ones I have been looking at pop up almost the entire roof, and push the bed platform up, so you get basically an extended height cab as soon as you settle down.
Sorry, totally missed that you weren't interested in the Tofino. Having said that, I'm 6-1 and have no problem cooking, etc. in it. Like most things its a matter of personal preference, needs, wants. I am adding a toilet to the rear "garage", which has plenty of good space for that and the items I will carry. Good luck in your search!
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
So I looked up the Hymer Axion Loft because I was wondering how you would fit a bathroom along with all the other stuff into that size. It is a unique layout that packs in a lot.

Limitations I see: the fold-out sofa bed is pretty small, and there is no rear travel seating. The former limits the appeal for couples and the latter rules out families. The loft isn’t as useful without seating for the extra passengers. Guess it’s all about trade-offs.

I see the design as having limited appeal in the NA market. Seems to me you’ll have to wait for a used one or do a custom build.
Biggest issue - it is not available (anymore). I like the layout, of course nothing is ever perfect.

I don't understand the limited appeal thing. I mean there must be some people who value efficient use of space over having a lavish lounge? Those who want to use this as a Camper, not a Mobile Home?
(I agree with your observations regarding the Axion, just commenting more in general. I love the Nugget layout, although it's missing an inside shower).

I contacted GTRV, little hope though.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry, totally missed that you weren't interested in the Tofino. Having said that, I'm 6-1 and have no problem cooking, etc. in it. Like most things its a matter of personal preference, needs, wants. I am adding a toilet to the rear "garage", which has plenty of good space for that and the items I will carry. Good luck in your search!
Thanks, and yes, I agree, some will love the Tofino.

I wish they would put the Solis (w PopTop) on a shorter platform, get rid of the permanent bed in the back, and instead up-size the front lounge area slightly to fit 2 normally sized folks on a bench which easily converts into a bed. Two people would still have the choice of sleeping upstairs or converting the seating area into a bed.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Tofino is very similar to VW Westfalias we had in 77/85 which we used as models for our current conversion. We liked this type of floorplan then as we like our today’s Voilà. The only change was addition of the cassette toilet à la Safari Condo.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
I wish they would put the Solis (w PopTop) on a shorter platform, get rid of the permanent bed in the back, and instead up-size the front lounge area slightly to fit 2 normally sized folks on a bench which easily converts into a bed. Two people would still have the choice of sleeping upstairs or converting the seating area into a bed.
But again... who will buy a van with four berths and only two seatbelts? I just don't see a significant market for that. The whole point of the Solis "lounge" is the belted seats for the kids.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
But again... who will buy a van with four berths and only two seatbelts? I just don't see a significant market for that. The whole point of the Solis "lounge" is the belted seats for the kids.
Agreed... putting only two seatbelts into a 4 sleeper van is odd. Nugget has five.

https://westfalia-mobil.de/en/modell...up-roof-en.php
Old 07-20-2021, 01:15 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Oooooh... looks like Thor listened to my whining.

I like the floor plan of the Scope/Rize 18M, but needs a pop-top to sleep 4.