Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2022, 11:12 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Looking for Camper Van without Toilet - Suggestions

Looking for Camper Van without Toilet

Have a Rialta

Looking to upgrade ( 20 -21 Foot used 2012 - 2015 ) Gas Powered

Really don't use and water aboard or Toilet

Any suggestions ?
Chuck711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:07 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Look for one with a cassette toilet, which you can then remove.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:10 AM   #3
Silver Member

If you don't have a toilet in the van — even a removable one — then it does not meet the criteria to be considered an RV. That means you won't be able to get RV insurance, and depending on your state, you may have to pay a lot more to register it as a commercial vehicle instead of a motor home.
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
If you don't have a toilet in the van — even a removable one — then it does not meet the criteria to be considered an RV. That means you won't be able to get RV insurance, and depending on your state, you may have to pay a lot more to register it as a commercial vehicle instead of a motor home.
Exactly... it will no longer be considered an RV by any insurance company and likely most states. I encountered this issue with my current small van that I had converted last summer. The insurance companies refused to cover it as an RV, so I would have had to cover it as a commercial van... and the difference in premium was $600-700+ a year. Plus the tag difference in MN was about $400+ a year. So rather than pay the money to the state or insurance company, I went back to the factory in Colorado that did the conversion, and we added a basic little cabinet with the required sink and one burner. (I already had a porti-potty set up to comply with the requirement for a waste storage tank) Rather than tanks, I added an outside city water port for the sink.

All this is to advise you to buy a full RV and then remove from the interior what you don't wish to use. I would leave the water system/tanks intact so that you will preserve your resale options and value. They just have to be there... no rule that you must use them. lol
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Licensing in Minnesota is different also. Most vehicles licenses are charged on value but my Sprinter classified as an RV was a flat $60 regardless of value. My cars were more.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #6
Gold Member

Tofino has no toilet, but it does have a sink. I don't know whether that disqualifies it as an RV for registration purposes, but I'd guess not.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

What about buying a Class B RV with a portable or composting toilet...and then just leave the toilet at home? Storyteller makes vans with portable toilets, and I assume they are classified as RV's for registration and insurance purposes.

https://storytelleroverland.com/pages/compare-modes

We'd never consider a Storyteller because we insist on a real wet bath with a sink, vs. hiding a portable toilet under a seating surface, but otherwise this looks like a real nice van, and there are lots of Storyteller fans out there.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:52 PM   #8
Site Team

What counts as an 'RV' is a matter of definition, and those definitions are specific to every state and every neighborhood association. These kind of things are poorly standardized.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
Tofino has no toilet, but it does have a sink. I don't know whether that disqualifies it as an RV for registration purposes, but I'd guess not.
Some Tofino owners have had issues with both insurance and licensing as RVs. It depends on the state and insurance company. (though I think the state might also control the insurance definition)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #10
Gold Member

I also just ran across a reference to a Thor Scope/Rize 18T floorplan having no toilet and thought of this thread. Turns out it was mentioned in this thread over a year ago: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post125682

This is/was rather similar to the Tofino, with water/cooktop and a loft bed, but with a side sofa rather than front facing. But it's no longer on the Thor website, so maybe discontinued?
Old 09-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I also just ran across a reference to a Thor Scope/Rize 18T floorplan having no toilet and thought of this thread. Turns out it was mentioned in this thread over a year ago: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post125682

This is/was rather similar to the Tofino, with water/cooktop and a loft bed, but with a side sofa rather than front facing. But it's no longer on the Thor website, so maybe discontinued?
The Tofino is made by Pleasureway.

Most states/insurance companies accept a portipotty as a contained system... removable black tank so to speak. I can confirm that Geico and Minnesota do.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-26-2022, 09:56 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a Tofino and mine was added to my insurance policy as just another vehicle (in this case, a van) by them, no big deal and not expensive at all.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:57 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Some Tofino owners have had issues with both insurance and licensing as RVs. It depends on the state and insurance company. (though I think the state might also control the insurance definition)
See my above post. I guess it may be a state thing.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:14 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Definitely varies by state. My insurance as a van (at retail value converted, not "just" a van with the conversion not covered at all) would have been more than twice as much as my insurance as an RV. Plus the difference in the cost of the plates... it would be $71 a year as an RV, and between 400-500 as a Promaster van. (perhaps higher if they include the value of the conversion)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #15

Why do you need a camper without a toilet? I understand travelers often don't need an indoor toilet because they can easily go outside. However, such a room should be in your camper for you to meet the requirements of a trailer park. But you can check out the kimbo camper review if you don't want to live in such a place and are buying a camper to travel freely around the country and not rent motel rooms. I think Kimbo has different camper models, with or without toilets, that you might like. I often travel in cold climates, so I like a camper with a toilet. In windy weather, I'm uncomfortable going to the toilet outside, even though I often set up a toilet stall outside (pit and tarp tent).
ryukthedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Shucks. I will use my van toilet when there's a S&B toilet just outside the door. Then I empty it into the S&B.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote