Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 01:54 AM   #1

Default Looking for our First RV

Brand new to the RV world and we love the class Bs. We will be driving it to tailgate and on trips but unlikely we will ever spend the night in it. I hope to find a used one around 4 years old. I have heard good things about Pleasure Way and bad things about Coachmen. Would love to hear from someone with more experience. I looked at a gorgeous Midwest but may be too rich for my blood as is the Airstream. There seem to be an awful lot of used Airstreams for sale, is there a reason?
Would the 19.5 Sprinter be better to start with? Who makes good ones on the shorter chassis.
Should I be looking at Winnebago?
Would love to hear opinions on the different brands. We do want a Mercedes chassis.
Also help with where to look and what to offer if we find one. I'm a little leery of private sellers because I'm not sure how to get used ones inspected and concerned I will offend them with a low offer.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Bama12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

What do you require in your class B? Washroom, shower, single bed or twins?

And also what price range are you looking at? The Pleasure Way Tofino is a lower cost unit that would be good for day trips and tailgating. It has no toilet or shower but almost everything else you would want.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama12 View Post
Brand new to the RV world and we love the class Bs. We will be driving it to tailgate and on trips but unlikely we will ever spend the night in it. I hope to find a used one around 4 years old. I have heard good things about Pleasure Way and bad things about Coachmen. Would love to hear from someone with more experience. I looked at a gorgeous Midwest but may be too rich for my blood as is the Airstream. There seem to be an awful lot of used Airstreams for sale, is there a reason?
Would the 19.5 Sprinter be better to start with? Who makes good ones on the shorter chassis.
Would love to hear opinions on the different brands. We do want a Mercedes chassis.
Also help with where to look and what to offer if we find one. I'm a little leery of private sellers because I'm not sure how to get used ones inspected and concerned I will offend them with a low offer.

Welcome to the forum Bama12!

As Bruceper mentions, you need to decide on your requirements. Including how many seat-belted positions for passengers, do you need roof a/c, generator, etc. in addition to his items below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
What do you require in your class B? Washroom, shower, single bed or twins?

And also what price range are you looking at? The Pleasure Way Tofino is a lower cost unit that would be good for day trips and tailgating. It has no toilet or shower but almost everything else you would want.

If I recall, the Tofino is also red. Just like the Tide. Just sayin.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Looking for our First RV

A few class B models based on Short Sprinter, 4 years old, from traditional RV class B makers include

Roadtrek SS Agile
Pleasureway Ascent

It’s a short list. Maybe some others can name more.

Airstream didn’t start making the Airstream Nineteen until 2019.

Winnebago didn’t start making the 4x4 Revel until 2018.

Not sure about Advanced RV.

Since about 2013 or so there has been a huge increase in smaller upfitters making adventure RVs many on shorter sprinters. But you probably don’t need 4x4 to tailgate unless you’re playing Clemson again.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #5

Default Coachman

There are few used Class B RVs in our area. There is a new 2018 Coachman Gallaria 24FLM for sale within driving distance. Are they good value resale reliability?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Any RV based on the Mercedes Sprinter is likely going to be good quality. But most of the short versions do not have a second row of captains seats I think you would want in a vehicle for travel. On most, those seats will combine with the front seats to create a seating area around a small table. Combined with a back table and seating area, that would provide a couple places for people to sit out of inclement weather aat the game even if you don't have that many people actually traveling with you.

You might also want to consider one that offers an outdoor gas connection for a grill. I would look carefully at the storage and make sure it will handle the stuff you want to bring with.

I would not pay much attention to the shower, you probably will never use it. But an outdoor shower may be helpful for cleaning off outside. I think a toilet is a must. One of the great advantages during travel is not having to look for rest rooms.

The coach AC is the heaviest user of electricity. You can either run it off batteries or a generator, usually propane. When traveling, the chassis AC running off the engine will likely cool the whole class b.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Midwest makes day tripper models that might be more to your liking. They are good quality. I don't know if there is a dealer in your area, but there are some used ones around sometimes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

I agree! Our local Mercedes dealer has one. I went over and walked through it and drooled. My mistake was that I made it the first class B I have ever been in. It set the bar pretty high. Of course it is the exact floor plan I talked about. I found the 2019 model on a 2017 chassis a little confusing but I guess that is common. We are not near the same price point. I also want to look at Pleasure Way but there is only one in the whole state as far as I can tell.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
From our experience, Pleasure Way is on the top echelon of Class B quality. We currently have a Winnebago on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis and the quality is not as good and the MB Sprinter chassis is to costly to maintain and repair as well as the 3.0 liter turbodiesel's inability to handle B20 or B30. Would not recommend MB Sprinter chassis, especially where Diesel #2 or B5 biodiesel is not readily available. Cost is at least double to maintain and repair that chassis as well. Recommendation would be PW Luxor.

Used is the best way to go although PW does have a 5-year warranty. Contact NRVIA about an inspection. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Ray B.
Daytona Beach
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
With regard to buying used: "where to look and what to offer".

rvtrader.com and use advanced search. This will give you what is available where and what approximate values are. Also PPL consignment motorhomes in Texas is not too far from you. We live in Daytona Beach and bought in Mesa, AZ to save just under $20k. Was worth it for us. Use NADA to figure price along with Rvtrader. Remember, diesel motorhome are not evaluated on mileage. Year and Condition is more important. Again, use NRVIA inspectors.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #11

ur situation snds just like ours 1.5 yrs ago. we went w/ 2017 Winnebago era 70x.unfortunately we bought from unreliable local dealer but have since sorted out the service problems. we luv it. that said are considering moving up 2 winnebago boldt because of boldts better features.
Scottnelson@srmg-link.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
Bronze Member

We bought a used 2014 Roadtrek SS Agile and are very happy with it. We bought it from an individual and paid to have it inspected by a MB dealer. We checked all the appliances ourselves. They had all the records and seemed meticulous about taking care of it. Good luck!
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

This is a tough one to answer. Most of the mainstream major manufactured Class B vans are optimized to sleep at least one and mostly two people. Some even more.

This means you give up community hang-out space and safe comfortable passenger seating - two things that would be desirable for tailgating and the such.

Custom is going to be your best bet in the end I suspect. As you mentioned, the DayCruiser by Midwest Automotive Designs is kind’a built for tailgating but big $ and they’re relative new so few used ones will be around.

If you are OK to go a bit bigger maybe look for a used Roadtrek RS Adventurous.
It seats four belted in their own captain’s chairs. Since they are now bankrupt you may find a used one reasonably priced but won’t have any warranty and long term parts available is a question

Good luck in your search.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
Used is the best way to go although PW does have a 5-year warranty.
The Pleasureway warranty is only for the original owner. It doesn't extend to subsequent owners.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
Gold Member

Just don't fall for the sales gimmick that a van cab chassis only built RV is a class B or B+ there is not a B+ class as per RVIA who certifies RV's.
A class B is a complete van body with the Motorhome built within the confines of that body.
A class C is a cab chassis only or cutaway with the Motorhome part built on to that chassis. The cabover part or lack of cabover does not determine the class of the RV.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #16
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The Pleasureway warranty is only for the original owner. It doesn't extend to subsequent owners.
That's why I put "although" in the original comment, as in: Buying used is best, ALTHOUGH if you decide to buy new PW has a 5-Year Warranty...

If PW did have a transferable warranty, I would have used the conjunction AND, as in: Buying used is best, AND if you a bought a used PW you would get remainder of the the original 5-Year Warranty...

That's why I used "although".

Ray B.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:55 AM   #17
Lou
Platinum Member

Default rv for tailgating

How many seats do you need? We love our Pleasureway Excel but for extra passengers the couch with seatbelts at the BACK of the van is more than a little of a bumpy ride. I wouldn't want 4 seats up front but you might. I agree with the person who said that having your own toilet and sink is important.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 AM   #18
Bronze Member

If your main thing is tailgating, you could consider something optimized for it like the REV 24 TL, maybe? It's not a class B, but you might need that big TV!

Example
https://www.mhsrv.com/2016-dynamax-c...-c-tx-i1661999
Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #19

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.
We purchased our new RV today.
Our plan is to use it tailgating and for weekend trips to cool off or warm up, take a nap, have a bathroom and we wanted the 4 captains chairs up front on a Mercedes chassis.
I doubt we will ever spend the night in it.
My original plan was used and my original budget was $$$$$ probably a Pleasure Way.

What my husband (and I) ended up buying was:
New 2019 Midwest Weekender MP4
We got an exceptional price with 5 year warranty on both the chassis and the conversion with service for both within 10 minutes of our home.
My husband is beyond happy with his Father's Day present.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #20

Default Update

We will pick up our class B this week and appreciate all the things I learned from this forum. The financing went smooth as silk. Talked to them at 0830 and it was ready at 1240.
I did finance long term with the plan to pay it off much sooner. I know there has been a debate about financing or not but remember....if it has a kitchen and a bathroom you can deduct the interest as if it was a second home. The lower payment gives flexibility if life happens some month which it always does.
My advice is consider you options carefully and make sure it fits your long term plan.
Hope everyone finds there perfect RV.