Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Looking for which Promaster/Transit platform models will seat 6 or more

You all have enlightened me from steering clear of the sprinter platform for my rv search, due to reliability, therefore I'm now looking for something in the promaster or transit platforms that have at least 6 seat belts.

I've found the Beyond has 6 seat belts, however, they're in a side facing position instead of front facing. We have young children with car seats and they cannot be placed in side facing seat belts for that reason.

That said, please let me know if you're aware of any other (promaster / transit platform) rvs that:

1) have 6 more more seat belts
2) at least 2 rear, "front facing" seats
3) and preferably those two front facing seats NOT be in the very rear of the vehicle.

Rear end collisions are by far the most prominent type of collisions we have here in SoCal and I'd feel better with the kids up closer to the middle. Having additional seats in the very rear (3rd seat, 4th seat, etc) is fine.
bumpersignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Gold Member

The only new ones I can think of would be in big Sprinters with captains chairs and a rear sofa, like the Airstream 24GL or Midwest Passage. Or if you can find a Hymer Aktiv with the rear sofa, that might do it. Check out DeMartini RV Sales - New and Used Motorhome Dealer | Detail | Vehicles.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Winnebago's Solis 59P sofa bed model has six seats, each forward facing with 3-point safety belts.

However, as with the Airstream and Midwest models noted above, the last two seat positions are on the rear sofa. But at least those types of seats are mounted relatively high, above the hood level of most vehicles behind.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:19 PM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Winnebago's Solis 59P sofa bed model has six seats, each forward facing with 3-point safety belts.

However, as with the Airstream and Midwest models noted above, the last two seat positions are on the rear sofa. But at least those types of seats are mounted relatively high, above the hood level of most vehicles behind.
Exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!
Old 09-23-2020, 01:37 AM   #5
Gold Member

does anyone know if the Hymer Aktiv have a rear sofa configuration (along with the double seat middle), similar to the Solis 59P ?
Old 09-23-2020, 04:25 AM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpersignal View Post
That said, please let me know if you're aware of any other (promaster / transit platform) rvs that:

1) have 6 more more seat belts
2) at least 2 rear, "front facing" seats
3) and preferably those two front facing seats NOT be in the very rear of the vehicle.
ModVans offers a third row of seats as an option in their Transit build.
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
does anyone know if the Hymer Aktiv have a rear sofa configuration (along with the double seat middle), similar to the Solis 59P ?
Yes, they did. Neil Balthaser did a review at

I was unaware that the Solis 59P has a rear sofa option. I wonder whether they will somehow work that into the longer 59PX.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
I was unaware that the Solis 59P has a rear sofa option. I wonder whether they will somehow work that into the longer 59PX.
The Solis 59P sofa bed uses a cushion extension supported by flip-up brackets on the back door to provide full length when deployed as a bed. That option is not available on the longer 59PX because door brackets would be too far away to support the bed.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
Yes, they did. Neil Balthaser did a review at .
Holy smokes, the Aktiv loft is PERFECT. Thank you! Any word if they're reliable?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Some doubts about the reliabilty and serviceability of the under-mount ac's would be a concern for me. As would any Roadtreck/Hymer product with Ecotrek lithium battery options.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Some doubts about the reliabilty and serviceability of the under-mount ac's would be a concern for me. As would any Roadtreck/Hymer product with Ecotrek lithium battery options.
can you point me to somewhere i can read up on this issue? this feels like full circle on why i abandoned the diesel sprinter platform idea.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Holy smokes, the Aktiv loft is PERFECT. Thank you! Any word if they're reliable?
Quote:
can you point me to somewhere i can read up on this issue? this feels like full circle on why i abandoned the diesel sprinter platform idea.
The Aktiv Loft model was based on the Hymer Grand Canyon model in Europe. Hymer is now owned by Thor and has announced they will make some of their European models available in the US under the Hymer USA brand. If you're looking for a van with current factory and warranty support that might be a better option.

Hymer USA has a website but has not yet announced which models will be introduced here. Grand Canyon seems a likely candidate given how popular it is on the continent.

Hymer USA was originally targeted for 2020 factory setup and 2021 model year production. However that was before COVID happened so it's unclear what the current schedule will be.

https://www.hymer.com/us/en
Old 09-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #13
Gold Member

Quote:
The Hymer Aktiv FB group has good info on the problems with the AC on the loft edition. They tried to implement a workaround for the ductwork and such until they found out that the compressor used (IIRC) was intended for a small trailer and modified by Hymer for this application. It was a bad kludge, to say the least, and apparently doesn't work well, if at all. The FB group can fill you in on more.

I would not expect that anything Thor and new Hymer USA does will help the old Hymer owners. Serendipity may smile on them but I think it would be unwise from a corporate standpoint for Thor to bring over any Hymer product that too closely resembles old HGNA stuff.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #14

We plan to buy the VanDOit: LIV campervan which has (up to) 8 seats. The six in the back are removable, so you can adjust as you wish. ALL seats at DOT approved for safety, with each having 3-point safety harnesses rather than the less-safe lapbelts that most RVs have. All face forward, and all have side airbags. They offer many options, so if you are willing to buy a camper van rather than a motorhome, it's awesome.
David King in SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Aktiv Facebook group. Don’t buy one without it!

Some of the big issues:
1. Zero factory support and limited interior parts availability.
2. Under mount A/C as shipped is ineffective and there is no fix for it.
3. Very problematic Lithium battery package shipped broken from the factory. Requires re-wiring and re-programming multiple system components. Uncertain support from the battery manufacturer. Most of the vans out there have already been modified. But if you have a battery issue it will be expensive to fix.

If you are handy and well-informed going in, these units represent a great value. They are well loved by their owners for good reason. Owner support through the FB Group is unparalleled in my experience.

Now to the real question: do you really want six people hanging out in a 21’ van? Yikes! If you can’t put the kiddos in tents you’ll go crazy.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #16

The VanDOit:LIV campervan has up to 8 seats and all face forward and all have side airbags (this is because the LIV is built on a Transit passenger van rather than a cargo van). All the seats have 3-point safety harnesses, not the less-safe lapbelts. The seating areas for the 1-6 reach passengers are located directly behind the driver, or in the middle of the cabin (i.e. 2nd and 3rd row areas). These are the safety and most comfortable locations for passengers. Rear seating (especially above the rear axle in a long vehcile) is not only less safe, it can be uncomfortably bumpy). If you want an adventure vehicle for group travel, the LIV is compelling. Their build appears to be very high quality, and their designs are practical. Components are removable (i.e. kitchen pod, seats) for incredible versatility. The LIV is more practical/efficient than posh/soft. If you want your interior to be posh/soft, then you may need to compromise on seating (NOTE: I looked for 2 years and did not find anything like the LIV anywhere). Happy hunting! BTW: If you want to see an extensive comparo that I made between the Winnebago SOLIS (class-B RV) and the VanDOit:LIV (similar size campervan), let me know.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Yes, thank you, I would like to see your comparison! We are still trying to decide which campervan works best for us.
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #18
Gold Member

I ended up getting a sprinter platform after all. It seats 6 and despite the def mechanical issues because all platforms have some sort of reliability issue anyway.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #19

Default VanDOit/Solis comparo

Quick Red. I've got a comparo in Excel format between the VanDOit campervan and last year's Winnebago Solis RV. A recent change is that you can now order a Solis 59p with a rear sofa bed to gain 2 more seats for a total of 6, which is helpful for group/family travel in a small class B. However, the sofa bed is not removable, you would sacrifice total bed size and lose adaptable storage space in the cabin, the bed would probably not be set up for convenient sleeping all the time (most folks hate making up their bed every day), and the sofa bed is probably less comfortable than a dedicated queen mattress. BUT, if you want an RV rather than a multi-purpose camper van it might be the one. I will try to figure out how to attach the comparo doc. If I fail in that attempt, you can email me at dking@westmont.edu
Old 11-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #20

I don't know how to attach an Excel doc on my desktop to Detroit Red (sorry, I mistakenly said Quick Red). Any instruction welcome.