Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Default Looking to convert a Ford Transit 250 High Roof....

I am looking to convert a Transit 250 and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on options they would like to have if they were to order a new van. I was thinking of a heavy duty alternator, towing package, RV package(not sure what that contains) wifi hotspot, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as this will be the biggest DIY of my life!

Thanks
Brian
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Silver Member

Factory swivel seats in front - if that option is available.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure that the 2020 Transits can be ordered with AWD, Hotspot, a different parking brake, dual alternators, and swivel seats.

I'd get:
  • Sync3, Lane keeping, hotspot, and all the fancy dashboard stuff
  • The normal 3.7/3.5, not Ecoboost, not diesel (long term reliability).
  • Locking rear end.
  • Trailer hitch/towing package, *and* the trailer brake controller
  • RV prep package
  • The passenger van window option (instead of aftermarket windows). But I would not start with the passenger van model. If you need more than two seats, I'd look at the crew seating option on the cargo van.
  • Swivel seats (and whatever parking brake options are relevant)
  • dual alternators or heavy duty alternator
  • Whatever option gets you access to the 180A Customer Connection Points under the drivers seat.
  • Dual AGM chassis batteries
  • Backup camera

Or - hang out on the fordtransitusa forum and watch crewvanman's posts. He works at a Ford dealer and is really helpful in spec'ing out Ford cargo vans for DIY conversions.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
I'm pretty sure that the 2020 Transits can be ordered with AWD, Hotspot, a different parking brake, dual alternators, and swivel seats.

I'd get:
  • Sync3, Lane keeping, hotspot, and all the fancy dashboard stuff
  • The normal 3.7/3.5, not Ecoboost, not diesel (long term reliability).
  • Locking rear end.
  • Trailer hitch/towing package, *and* the trailer brake controller
  • RV prep package
  • The passenger van window option (instead of aftermarket windows). But I would not start with the passenger van model. If you need more than two seats, I'd look at the crew seating option on the cargo van.
  • Swivel seats (and whatever parking brake options are relevant)
  • dual alternators or heavy duty alternator
  • Whatever option gets you access to the 180A Customer Connection Points under the drivers seat.
  • Dual AGM chassis batteries
  • Backup camera

Or - hang out on the fordtransitusa forum and watch crewvanman's posts. He works at a Ford dealer and is really helpful in spec'ing out Ford cargo vans for DIY conversions.
Thanks for the info. I saw the info on transit 2020 not sure if I can wait. Do you know what’s included in ford’s rv package. Can, t find any details
Thanks
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
Thanks for the info. I saw the info on transit 2020 not sure if I can wait. Do you know what’s included in ford’s rv package. Can, t find any details
Thanks
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...t_SpecLite.pdf

Quote:
RV Prep Package1: Modified Vehicle Wiring System, Trailer Wiring Provisions Package, privacy glass, carpeted front floor covering and rear cargo door exit handle; requires dual heavy-duty batteries and heavy-duty alternator; package deletes all Passenger Wagon content behind the B-pillars including rear floor covering, rear seating, rear seat rails, rear fixings and safety belts, rear headliner, rear Safety Canopy side-curtain airbags, and rear climate control (XLT Passenger Wagon)
And:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2018_ARLSD.pdf

Page 3.

My first post might be confusing. I was thinking that I'd start with a cargo van and add passenger wagon windows and RV Prep as options. But it looks like RV Prep is essentially a passenger wagon with everything behind the B pillar stripped out, so effectively would get me what I wanted.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, transit, van conversion