Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Looking to flat tow with Pleasureway

I have a 2000 Pleasureway wide body on a Dodge 3500 Ram chassis.
I want to tow a 2006 PT Cruiser, and a 2016 Nissan Rouge ( not at the same time).

The is an electric braking system installed in the Dodge, am unsure if it can be adapted for use.

I am just beginning research and would like to put it on this summer.

If anyone has this setup or knows the system, what equipment will I need.

I will be flat towing because of the Rouge, its awd.

The Rogue has a GVW of 4700#, the PT Cruiser is 3000#

I live in PEI, Canada.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Surprisingly, a search of the forums did not turn up much info.
Jamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Not all vehicles can be flat-towed. Pretty sure I’ve seen PT Cruisers being flat-towed. Not sure about the Rogue. AWD tends to create problems. There are online resources listing what models can and can’t be flat-towed.

If the vehicle is suitable, the next hurdle is weight. Curb weight of the towed vehicle plus any gear you plan to put in it plus the weight of the flat towing equipment will be your gross towed weight. You will also need to know the fully loaded weight of your motorhome- people, gear, everything.

Add the two numbers together to get the expected gross combined weight (GCW). Consult your Dodge chassis owners manual to locate the gross combined weight rating (GCWR), which may depend on drivetrain and other variables. If your expected GCW is less than the GCWR, then you can move forward.

You will definitely need a braking system in the toad. Don’t know a whole lot about how they work; my towing experience is with utility and travel trailers.

If the vehicle compatibility and weights work out, you’re likely looking at several thousand dollars for a complete flat-towing set-up with brakes. It’s not as simple as a cargo trailer.

You probably aren’t finding much on this forum because one of the attractions of a Class B is its ability to go most places a regular vehicle can go. A toad negates that in a big way. You cannot even back up more than a few feet with a toad attached. That said I do recall a thread or two recently, and there are folks doing it, not many.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

According to the 2006 and 2016 Motorhome Magazine dingy towing guides (found by Google search), the PT Cruiser can only be towed 4-down if it has a manual transmission (not automatic) and the Rogue is not listed at all, which assumes that it cannot be towed 4-down (and probably not on a dolly). You should read your owners manuals to see what they have to say about towing 4-down.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
Bronze Member

How very disappointed I am!!!
Neither vehicle can be flat towed.
Should have researched better bef,ore I bought the Rouge....might be easier to sell the Pleasureway..
Thanks for your suggestions
Jamelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat, towing