Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default LP Fill Adapter?

Hi-

During out first long trip with our Era, we discovered a significant problem with the LP tank - it is mounted such that the fill port is canted downwards at about a 30 degree angle. This made it impossible for the service station we stopped at to get there fill nozzle on it. We ended up having to put all the leveling blocks we had on one side of the vehicle to literally jack it up on that side to the point where he could get the fill nozzle on it. So now I am looking around for some kind of 45 to 90 degree elbow, or simply a short hose with 1.75 inch ACME connectors on either end so that we don't have this problem again. Attached is a picture of the LP fill port. Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

Thanks

dm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201028_150045.jpg (170.9 KB, 29 views)
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsapEra View Post
Hi-

During out first long trip with our Era, we discovered a significant problem with the LP tank - it is mounted such that the fill port is canted downwards at about a 30 degree angle. This made it impossible for the service station we stopped at to get there fill nozzle on it. We ended up having to put all the leveling blocks we had on one side of the vehicle to literally jack it up on that side to the point where he could get the fill nozzle on it. So now I am looking around for some kind of 45 to 90 degree elbow, or simply a short hose with 1.75 inch ACME connectors on either end so that we don't have this problem again. Attached is a picture of the LP fill port. Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

Thanks

dm

You could try a "remote propane fill". Do a Google search for that. Here is just one hit I got on that search: https://www.ebay.com/i/180371195154?...QaAp0jEALw_wcB
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
Platinum Member

A portable fill extension adapter is an option: https://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Degree-P...r/171980929641

That's just one example. As it will have liquid propane in the extension when used for filling the tank, a bleeder valve would be a nice addition as it would permit controlled release of what's in the extension. The bleeder valve becomes more important to have with longer extensions (larger volume).
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Silver Member

Similar problem with a PW Lexor. I went to my local propane company and they made me an extension for about $50. Works fantastic, you don't need a bleed valve. When they fill the tank they have a bleed valve that releases the propane from their hose as well as the extension.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Addict View Post
Similar problem with a PW Lexor. I went to my local propane company and they made me an extension for about $50. Works fantastic, you don't need a bleed valve. When they fill the tank they have a bleed valve that releases the propane from their hose as well as the extension.

Is your LP fill extension portable or is it permanently installed?
Old 11-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Propane Tank Fill Adapter

This adapter from Nash Fuel works good on my Roadtrek Zion.

https://nashfuel.ecrater.com/p/23753...LxfzbFAYh6wRMI

Buford Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Frankly, this is sloppy engineering and there is absolutely no excuse for it. The engineering department should have tested the design before releasing it to production and either relocated the tank or had the tank redesigned. At this point the only ethical response on the part of the manufacturer would be to retrofit for units already sold, or failing that, at least provide an adapter to solve the problem.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Is your LP fill extension portable or is it permanently installed?
Portable. I keep it behind my seat. I usually put it on and take it off and the fill guys love it. It makes their job very easy. It is about a foot long. For my rig it is just a straight piece. Op may need to put an angle on it.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #9

Go to a full service LP gas dealer. They will have what you need. Not just a place that only sells LP gas with no service .... such as a gasoline station.
eieiooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks Asphalt Addict. From this photo:

It looks like any liquid propane between the nozzle & male thread ACME fill extension or the valve on the tank would automatically vent out when the nozzle handle is released so I can see why straight through extensions would automatically vent if using that type fill nozzle. If the extension uses a male thread fill check valve instead of a straight through fitting then there would be liquid propane trapped in the extension between the two valves and that type likely has the bleeder valve.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsapEra View Post
Hi-

Thanks

dm
The fill nozzles on the propane hose come in long and short lengths. The short length nozzle will accommodate the port.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:30 AM   #12
Silver Member

Our Era has the fill connector tilted down as well. 30 degrees may be more than what I would say but at least 20 degrees and probably more. We have filled multiple times at a Ferrelgas, a Menards and once at a McGas in Custer, SD. Only people at the Menards that weren’t familiar with their own equipment have had any problems connecting to the fill port. I suspect part of your problem is lack of experience on the part of the people trying to make the connection. The experienced people do it in a few seconds without comment. Also the LP suppliers tend to be a little less expensive.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to unimat

I can't really tell from the picture but unless that tank is only 6" off the ground there should be no problem getting the LP nozzle on it. I suspect that when you go to a real LP dealer/ store to get your adapter you will be told that the attendant didn't know what they were doing.
unimat is offline   Reply With Quote