Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default LP gas sensor More Sensitive?

My LP gas sensor has recently started giving warning signals several minutes after using the cooktop. It happens afterwards, not during cooking. We are doing some more cooking than usual, but we do use the Fantastic vent fan while cooking and afterwards. No other LP appliance is on other than the 3way fridge. Can cooking fumes trigger the sensor? And can sensors become more sensitive with age?

Thanks in advance.
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The short answer is yes. Don’t know whether it can be called more sensitive or malfunction. With us a can of beans at dinner would fire off the detector at 1AM. New detector fixed it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I've had mine go off right after LP tank fill. Usually stops after a short distance with windows open.

I've also had mine periodically beep when the house battery was low.

MTI, who make many of the RV LP and CO units, state that they have an effective working life of 5 years. Don't know if that's due to something in the design getting depleted or their desire to sell units. The date of mfg is generally printed on the back of the detector. You could remove it and check.

When I got my RV it was 20 years old. Pretty sure my father-in-law never replaced them. I replaced them both. That was 4 years ago so I'm approaching that 5 year mark.

Would be interesting to hear from others about the necessity to replace as routine maintenance. Pretty easy to do. Around $50 @, as my failing memory recalls.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
Bronze Member

what is basic reason for gas leak and how we can take preservation in advance from this situation?
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The main reason for the propane detector is to let you know when the stove burners have been open without being lit. Many propane detectors are right below the stove. Propane is heavier than air.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

An actual gas leak could be caused by a number of conditions. I had one with the valve on the tank which had a leaky stem gasket so that when you turned it on or off, it leaked. It didn't leak in the fully off or on position but if I were to leave it half open it would.

I had another leak in the hose that connects the tank to the regulator. It was actually a leak where the flex hose terminates in a fitting.

My preventive is that when I fill the LP tank, I have the tech soap the hoses, valves and the tank area in general. I do that every time. Then once a year I take it to a RV shop where they do a test on the system. That involves putting a gauge at some point in the LP plumbing, take a reading (with the main tank valve open) and let it sit for 4-6 hours. Then they read the gauge again to make sure the initial reading hasn't dropped.

On my RV I only have LP hoses at the regulator. From that point everything is hard metal pipe throughout the RV. Someone else indicated in a past forum post that their RV had a network of soft hoses and recommended that they be inspected/replaced at regular intervals.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Follow Up on LP Gas Sensor

Well the other night the LP alarm went off after cooking with only the microwave. The gas stove was not used at all. But the genset had run for quite a while. So could the LP sensor also detect CO? The regular CO detector did not go off, but it is installed towards the top of the coach whereas the LP sensor is at floor level, under the couch/bed. It is not unusual for the genset to be used for lengthy periods, but possibly wind direction was a factor. Thoughts?
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:30 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Unburned fuel in the generator exhaust could have set it off. Just a guess.

Tags
lp monotor