Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 12:25 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default LP Regulator failed AGAIN??

This is for a 2018 Winnebago Era with a 2500 watt Onan LP generator, Truma Combi and LP stove.

I noticed on the last trip that the generator was balky and hard to start or would die after running a bit. Decided to go ahead and check the oil.... Only to have the plastic screw top at the top of the dipstick break off in the hole! Ended up having to drill the remaining pieces to get them out, which of course meant that plastic bits went down into the oil pan. So then I set out to change the oil... Only to discover there is almost no space under there to add oil. Had to improvise a funnel and tubing setup to be able to put a quart of new oil in. Started and ran it briefly, then drained that oil and added new oil again. Unfortunately, no visible bits of plastic came out, so I suspect all the bits are still in the oil pan. Then went back to trying to start it. Same problem - it would run briefly and then die when the load switched on. Discovered that the gas pressure was going from 11WC to zero when it died (glad I installed a LP pressure gauge last spring). So at this point I'm thinking that the two-stage pressure regulator that I installed in April already has a problem. The strange thing is, it seems to supply pressure for the stove and Truma*furnace just fine. Last time around I just had no usable pressure, so nothing worked.

The regulator I installed in April was supposedly compatible and rated for like 350k BTU, which should be more than enough, but right now I think I am looking at my second failing regulator in a year.

Any ideas or suggestions?

-dm
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

What brand regulator did you buy? I’ve had good luck with
Marshall-Excelsior.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsapEra View Post
This is for a 2018 Winnebago Era with a 2500 watt Onan LP generator, Truma Combi and LP stove.

I noticed on the last trip that the generator was balky and hard to start or would die after running a bit. Decided to go ahead and check the oil.... Only to have the plastic screw top at the top of the dipstick break off in the hole! Ended up having to drill the remaining pieces to get them out, which of course meant that plastic bits went down into the oil pan. So then I set out to change the oil... Only to discover there is almost no space under there to add oil. Had to improvise a funnel and tubing setup to be able to put a quart of new oil in. Started and ran it briefly, then drained that oil and added new oil again. Unfortunately, no visible bits of plastic came out, so I suspect all the bits are still in the oil pan. Then went back to trying to start it. Same problem - it would run briefly and then die when the load switched on. Discovered that the gas pressure was going from 11WC to zero when it died (glad I installed a LP pressure gauge last spring). So at this point I'm thinking that the two-stage pressure regulator that I installed in April already has a problem. The strange thing is, it seems to supply pressure for the stove and Truma*furnace just fine. Last time around I just had no usable pressure, so nothing worked.

The regulator I installed in April was supposedly compatible and rated for like 350k BTU, which should be more than enough, but right now I think I am looking at my second failing regulator in a year.

Any ideas or suggestions?

-dm
On my 2016 PW lexor. I use a small finger pump for fill oil. Inexpensive and works well to add oil to Onan. Maybe this can work for you?
https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-3667...Z9Q/ref=sr_1_2
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Sure enough, swapping in the backup regulator I had on hand seems to have cured the issue. Have to add this to the list of "weird symptoms when a regulator is failing". Also need to order a new backup one. For the record, the Marshall Excelsior one that I installed is only rated at 160k BTU, but seems to be capable of handling the generator and stove simultaneously. The OEM MB Sturgis regulator is rated at 400k BTU, and according to a neighbor (who is a HVAC pro, but not an RV guy) massive over-kill for the load in the Era. Having had to MB Sturgis regulators fail in 6 months, I'm going to try the Marshall for awhile.
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote