Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 03:57 PM   #1

Angry Lug nut cover installation tool

I had new tires installed on my 2014 Winnebego ERA at Costco. It has Alcoa rims with aluminum, push on lug nut covers. When I picked it up, they said they couldn’t install all the lug nut covers because they require a special tool to put them on. They managed to put on 4 of them but the others won’t stay on. I took it home and looked through the pack of tools that come with it and found nothing. I checked the owners manuals - both Sprinter and Winnebago - and neither of them mention a tool for installing the covers. They just say to push them on.

On further inspection, I can see that most of the covers are damaged with the dimples that hold against the nut pushed outwards and outward divots on the sides without the dimple. This makes me think they were damaged when taken off since they all stayed on before Costco removed them.
Costco said they would put them on if we brought them the tool. They showed me a picture of one but from what I read, the socket tool they showed is for covers that screw on, not push on like mine.

Has anyone heard of a special tool used to reinstall aluminum push on lug nut covers?
Checkmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Checkmark!

My Alcoa rim lugnut covers screw on, so sorry, I'm of no help here.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum Checkmark!

My Alcoa rim lugnut covers screw on, so sorry, I'm of no help here.

If may be that the OP's also screw on, but somebody hit them with an inpact wrench or such and stripped them. I have seen this quite a few times on the GM plastic nuts for the vans and pickups and many times they will still push on and stay sorta-kinda on, but some don't and most will eventually fall off. Best to contact Alcoa or an Alcoa wheel dealer and ask if they have any push on covers or not.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If may be that the OP's also screw on, but somebody hit them with an inpact wrench or such and stripped them. I have seen this quite a few times on the GM plastic nuts for the vans and pickups and many times they will still push on and stay sorta-kinda on, but some don't and most will eventually fall off. Best to contact Alcoa or an Alcoa wheel dealer and ask if they have any push on covers or not.
They are definitely push on caps. They look like these.

https://www.amazon.com/ALCOA-Rear-Co...580802&sr=8-14
Old 06-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #5

Mine are like these.
https://www.amazon.com/ALCOA-Rear-Co...580802&sr=8-14
Old 06-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Ok then, probably time to buy matching replacements for the ones that won't stay on tight.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alcoa+lug...s_ts-doa-p_5_5

And a tool like this for removal in the future.
https://www.amazon.com/lug-nut-Cover...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 06-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Ok then, probably time to buy matching replacements for the ones that won't stay on tight.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alcoa+lug...s_ts-doa-p_5_5

And a tool like this for removal in the future.
https://www.amazon.com/lug-nut-Cover...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
The problem with the ones on Amazon is they don’t match exactly. Plus, Costco bent most of them taking them off. I think they’re just trying to get out of taking responsibility by saying there’s a nonexistent tool needed to put them on. I filed a incident report with them but don’t know what will come of it.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmark View Post
The problem with the ones on Amazon is they don’t match exactly. Plus, Costco bent most of them taking them off. I think they’re just trying to get out of taking responsibility by saying there’s a nonexistent tool needed to put them on. I filed a incident report with them but don’t know what will come of it.
You don't need a special tool to put them on. Just slip them in place and lightly tap them with a rubber hammer or a block of wood to prevent damage.

Taking them off is the problem - Costco probably damaged those lug nut covers when they did your tires.

This is the tool that works best to remove the lug nut covers.

https://www.amazon.com/Automann-Cove.../dp/B07QHY5CFY
Old 06-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #9

Thanks. I’ll need to get some and tell Costco to use them when I get the tires rotated.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

To avoid this problem, I've always pre-removed my lugnut caps before taking it in for any service that may require removing the wheels.

Mine screw on but are made from pretty soft alumium (or maybe chromed plastic). Even being careful using the proper lugnut wrench to losen them, I've slowing added a few dings to them over the years. Nothing major, but I've learned the caps are very easy to damage. Tap lightly.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #11

I would never take my Era or any RV I own to Costco (or similar like Walmart) for any service for the exact reason you encountered. Though Mercedes dealers cost more for service they know the vehicle and don't hire nimcompoops. When I replaced the original equipment Continental tires on my Era the Mercedes dealer quoted a very good price on six Coopers that have proven very good tires. And they see many Sprinter based RV's there.
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #12

I have Alcoa rim on my Era 2012. The lug cover gets loose in time. At the beginning I use a rubber hammer to put it back in place. Now, some are tight some are loose so I use a drop of silicon to kept them in place.
Denis100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lug nut cover, push on, tool