Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #101
Platinum Member

The shaft end is already there and sealed, so the handle shouldn't cause a problem. But like booster stated, you may not miss it as it should be needed in only the rarest of occasions. And then, you can always crawl under and give it a turn by screwdriver. So your choice.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #102
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
The shaft end is already there and sealed, so the handle shouldn't cause a problem. But like booster stated, you may not miss it as it should be needed in only the rarest of occasions. And then, you can always crawl under and give it a turn by screwdriver. So your choice.

On the motor end of the macerators I have gotten, the end bell on the motor had a removable little watertight cover in the middle of it to put a screw driver through to turn the pump if jammed by popping out the little cover. Roadtrek removes that and puts a non sealed adapter through a bigger, I think drilled out, hole that is spring loaded to be able to push in from the opposite side of the van to turn it. It is a clear path into the motor if water gets there, which is likely.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #103
Silver Member

I loosened the plate where the rod mounts. I think I will put a little silicon around the plate and tighten it back down. I might throw the rod in the side compartment and pull it out if I happen to need it. Regarding the ground wire... do you reattach the ground to the case (the old wire is riveted on) or is there a better choice for the ground. Thanks again.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
I loosened the plate where the rod mounts. I think I will put a little silicon around the plate and tighten it back down. I might throw the rod in the side compartment and pull it out if I happen to need it. Regarding the ground wire... do you reattach the ground to the case (the old wire is riveted on) or is there a better choice for the ground. Thanks again.

You may want to check to see if the hole size will let the rod through, I seem to remember it being bigger from Roadtrek than on the replacement pump.

I moved the ground to the frame of the van by picking a spot, drilling a hole, cleaning it and using a sheet metal screw and star washer under a ring terminal.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #105
Silver Member

Okay, Thank you. One more question. What is the point of this "necked down" portion of the intake for the macerator ? It seems like it would just create turbulence with the inbound "stuff". Is there any reason I should not cut off the "necked down" portion of the macerator intake ? The rubber adaptor just attaches to the larger diameter portion of the intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200205_154651_resized.jpg (72.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20200205_154701_resized.jpg (70.1 KB, 4 views)
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #106
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
Okay, Thank you. One more question. What is the point of this "necked down" portion of the intake for the macerator ? It seems like it would just create turbulence with the inbound "stuff". Is there any reason I should not cut off the "necked down" portion of the macerator intake ? The rubber adaptor just attaches to the larger diameter portion of the intake.

My understanding is that it can go on a smaller hose if needed, bigger rubber grommet, or thread into a tank or fitting. In our new configuration, short was important, so I cut ours off.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:03 AM   #107

In my case, it was a bad switch.
rtv170 is offline   Reply With Quote