Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Macerator Hose Extension?

Hi folks.

We don't yet have a class B, and initially I was thinking that I did not want one with a macerator.

When it comes to electrical doodads, I'm always thinking "Simple is best" and so I agreed with PW's philosophy that gravity never fails!

What do you do when the macerator won't work and you have a full black tank?!

I do understand that most designs have a manual arrangement that allows you to free up a jammed pump impeller but that won't help if the motor has failed!

Ideally you would have a dual dump arrangement so you could hook up a 3" hose and bypass the macerator.

I like that idea but Im not sure which "B's" come so equipped - or can easily be be so modified.

However the more I learn I begin to see some advantages of a macerator.

Firstly, I have read that some class B's with gravity drains have the outlet so low that depending on the configuration of the dump station you may have difficulty completely draining the tank - and/or spilling raw sewage! Would not be a problem with a macerator

As well - you may be able to dump the black tank into a toilet at home if needed.

To do that In our case, we have a powder room that can be easily accessed through a door in our garage - but I am guessing the 3/4' or 1" hose that comes with the RV is usually not very long - maybe 25 ft at best?

I would likely need an extension of another 20ft or so beyond that to get into our powder room - very little change in elevation.

I'm wondering if most macerator pumps can deal with that length of hose without problem?

Anyone know?

Thanks ................. Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have had three rigs with gravity flow and two with macerator. I much prefer the macerator and I dump at home in my sewer cleanout through a 100 foot 3/4 inch garden hose. And that baby shoots out a big stream through that hose. SO, I don't think you would have any problem at all with a 25 or 50 foot extension. Garden hoses can be 1/2 inch for the real cheap ones, are generally 5/8 inch ID and the 3/4 inch are available.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Several of us on the forum have built gravity dump backup systems into our vans. It is not all that difficult usually and great piece of mind.

Some Roadtreks and Hymers have a true dual dumping system in the them. Zions and some others on the Promaster vans. Hopefully, someone who has been watching the features more closely will be able to fill in exactly which models.

Some other Bs have quick disconnecting pumps for easier repair, and emergency dumping, but not as convenient as having both systems ready to go.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Site Team

I am a member of the Dual Dump Club, having installed them in both of the B-vans we have owned. Although I still think it is worth the peace of mind, I do have to report that I have never had the pleasure of trying out the slinky on either van. Maybe I have just been lucky, but all these purported macerator failures I keep hearing about frankly puzzle me. In 13 years, I haven't even had to use the "unstick" thingie. I don't know what people have been flushing down their toilets. We don't even religiously use the "special" paper.

Just an opinion, but I think not having a macerator is in the same category as not having indoor plumbing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I am a member of the Dual Dump Club, having installed them in both of the B-vans we have owned. Although I still think it is worth the peace of mind, I do have to report that I have never had the pleasure of trying out the slinky on either van. Maybe I have just been lucky, but all these purported macerator failures I keep hearing about frankly puzzle me. In 13 years, I haven't even had to use the "unstick" thingie. I don't know what people have been flushing down their toilets. We don't even religiously use the "special" paper.

Just an opinion, but I think not having a macerator is in the same category as not having indoor plumbing.
Thanks Avanti - and to others who commented - always so much good info here!

Avanti, ou seem a bit like me - "Prepare for the worst but hope for the best!"

I'm always buying spare parts for things in case they fail, and of course there is a law of nature that ensures they then never will fail!"

If I'm l am lucky I will buy a unit with a dual dump - if not, I will see if I can install one .... and if not, I will just keep my fingers crossed! At least we only use RV toilets for peeing - unless in an emergency - that should help!

Good to know that if we do wind up with a macerator I can put an extension on it and be able to dump the tanks at home - I'm getting more enthused about having one now!

Cheers ........... Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

You worry too much about the macerator.

Natural waste will never damage the macerator.

The only source of problem is the toilet paper.

First, you must use RV toilet paper. They dissolve faster.
Second, you must flush generously. Make sure the tank is properly hydrated. Otherwise the stuff dry up and cake up inside the black tank.
Third, dump often. Don't wait until it is overflow before looking for a dump station.
If the tank is not full, fill it up with water before you dump. It will help to keep the things flowing.

Check The FitRV youtube videos. They have one on testing various kinds of TP.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I guess we are unusual in the fact that we NEVER use a campground shower or toilet. One of the great things about having a B or any kind of RV in our opinion is having your own john. I have never had a problem with a stopped up or broken down macerator pump and I have used them exclusively for twelve years now. We always use RV toilet paper.

IMO, the biggest culprit for macerator problems is hair. We always shower in our rigs and we have the shower floor drain supported by a small grid screen wire like filter which you can buy about anywhere. My wife has very thick hair and we both shampoo in the rig's shower. Hair will wind around the chopping impeller on a macerator and you would think it is a nylon rope. And, if you are lucky enough to travel with a dog, dog hair gets everywhere, including in the shower pan. It just does. So, the little strainer saves the day.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I guess we are unusual in the fact that we NEVER use a campground shower or toilet. One of the great things about having a B or any kind of RV in our opinion is having your own john.
Not unusual at all. I agree with you 100%. Next to having our own bed, having our own bathroom is the very best part of B-vanning for us. The thought of not making maximum use of such a luxury totally perplexes me.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I have a Zion with a macerator and love it. It seems to me it could deal with an additional 20’ no problem. Macerators are a wonderful invention! Love it!... in sailboat applications one often sees 40’ runs with 5-6 foot lift. There is a standard gravity drainage backup comes with the Zion. I’m hoping I never have to use it.
rclemins is offline   Reply With Quote