Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Macerator pump - Sani con

I am interested in putting a Sani Con pump on my 2004 Roadtrek. I have been a widow since September of last year. Can I do this myself or would I need a company to do it for me? Is there one that would fit? How much do they cost? Thanks.
ClassBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Macerator pump - Sani con

It is not an easy DIY job. In addition to the plumbing you need to do some 12v wiring.

A full macerator retrofit done by a Roadtrek dealer could cost $800. That's a figure that was quoted to someone a few years back.
I added one to my '04 Roadtrek to solve the problem of dumping uphill. The retrofit I did would not help someone who has trouble getting down to access the dump system as it still required you to get down and connect things.

I suggest that you visit a Roadtrek dealer and ask them to show you how the macerator works on a new Roadtrek. Then you'll know if it fits your needs and if it is worth getting a quote.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Would a portable macerator pump like a Flojet work? One can use it with a short (1-2 feet) length of sewer hose so the low van clearance doesn't prevent it from being attached. Of course, I recommend a small length of clear extension, so you can see when to turn on and off the pump, and there is the job of finding 12 volts to attach to the switch. However, with a set of jumper cables, one can run the pump on a temporary basis from the house batteries.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I saw one B user with the SewerSolution System that is a water powered jet pump system that requires nothing but hooking up to a regular 3" dump outlet on the B with no modifications to the B. The only con is it can't be used at most dump stations since it needs a hookup water source. The dang thing worked to my surprise.

It was purchased at a Camping World.

You can still dump the old fashion way which is what I do.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thanks, Davydd! I am checking out the Sewer Solution right away. Was it a Roadtrek you saw using it?
ClassBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would also second the Sewer Solution if you have a ready source of water from a garden hose. It is a lot less of a hassle to pack up and store than a portable macerator pump (no need for a 20 amp, 12 volt connection either.)

In my case, my next rig is getting a macerator pump added. Pumping uphill will be a nice thing to have when parking the "B" in a driveway, and using a clean-out.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Silver Member

We had a macerator on our RT when we bought it. DH said he would NEVER go back to a gravity system. We replaced the original with a Sani Con 2 yrs ago. The slinkly hose is great. The extra steps to go through with the other systems, wouldn't be worth it for DH. He likes the set up of the macerator for the ease of use. Open door, pull out the hose, pull the handles, and push a button. Done.
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote