Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Make into a "B" ?

Probably not, but it is almost big enough!

I have always had hatchbacks and small wagons as drivers, except for the last 3 years when I inherited DW's 4 door sedan Tracer. She got here "retirement" car at that point (CRV). I have pretty much hated the Tracer every day since I started using it, but kept it because we knew the history and it got 34mpg. Cars with trunks are pretty useless, even with a passthrough, if you need to haul anything, and I haul lots of stuff, very often. Since I am now retired, I get my "retirement" car, although it is no where near as nice as the 09 CRV, and now mileage isn't an issue with no 60 miles a day of commuting. No space for stuff issues with this one! 4X8 sheet of plywood fits inside, flat, gate closed. Gate drops like normal, but also swings to the side like a Rav4 does.

1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon. LT1 (Corvette) engine with 335hp, 4 speed automatic. Power everything, landyacht ride, 117K. Texas car with a couple of years in Missouri. 09 dated, but new looking Michelin LTX tires on it. Not a show quality car, but not rusty and seems to be mechanically sound. I didn't want to get a really nice one I would be afraid to use, and abuse, when needed. Paid $4500 including doc fees, which I figured is not too bad considering rusty Taurus wagons with that mileage, but newer, are selling for close to $6K here.

Monday, I had a long day to go get it in O'Fallon, Missouri. Up at 2:45am, 5:15 flight with a stop at Charlotte (really), half hour cab ride (dealer paid for it, luckily), 11:00am at the dealer, checked it out and had a big delay in getting the paperwork done because of an "as is" sale to out of state and lots of weird Missouri rules, headed for home at 1:45pm. 570 miles in very windy conditions, got home at 10:50pm. 70+ mph and 23mpg for the first tank, haven't filled again yet. It is now in the garage getting caught up on all maintenance and checking everything.

This will also take some work off the van, which I always have had to use to tow the utility trailer if it had much load in it. The Buick is rated to pull 5K#, or 7K# with tow package and distributing hitch. Also won't have to worry about messing up the CRV hauling stuff that wouldn't fit in the Tracer.

Parts are all ordered, so it should be on the road in a couple of weeks, and the Tracer will be gone soon after that (thankfully).
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Make into a "B" ?

I like it Better mpg, more seats than a cargo van. You can carry 4x8 plywood sheets and still cruise along with that comfortable ride. I occasionally got the use of a Grand Marquis that just floated along. So comfortable.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Pop top from Colorado Camper Vans would expand it upward.http://www.coloradocampervan.com/ .
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

2009 F-150, 4.6L 3V V8, 6-speed transmission, 157" wheelbase. 292HP, 320ft/lbs. torque.
Roomy, comfortable, endless cargo capacity, great fuel economy, truly the ultimate driving machine.
Much like the 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
2009 F-150, 4.6L 3V V8, 6-speed transmission, 157" wheelbase. 292HP, 320ft/lbs. torque.
Roomy, comfortable, endless cargo capacity, great fuel economy, truly the ultimate driving machine.
Much like the 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon.
I think one of the things that makes the older stuff desirable to us geezers is the fact that the torque and hp are further apart, and thus more torque in the lower rpms. The Ford (nice truck by the way), at 292hp and 320 torque, the Roadmaster at 260hp and 335 torque. Just a different experience driving them. I always feel the DW's CRV is turning to much rpm in normal acceleration, but it does seem happy there. But, you can't seat 8 people in a pickup, unless you do the hillbilly box load routine!

Actually, I did seriously consider a pickup instead, but ultimately wanted things inside, with the option of them being longer than 8 feet if needed. And the ride of this thing just really impressed me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I forgot to mention, it's the 4 door XLT Supercrew long bed model, with the full front split bench and rear bench seating. I can probably accommodate 7 people comfortably, but I'm only belted for 6. And 4X8 sheets of anything. Pics here.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2060&p=14720&hilit=towing#p147 20

It's a big truck, but I've managed to get around 24.5mpg (I believe that's Imperial gallons) with the 4.6L 3V on cruise control on a flat interstate at 65mph (105kph) with no wind. It's not as aerodynamic as the Buick, for sure. You should get better mileage than the truck, easily, even with the bigger, older technology engine. Better power to weight ratio, less drag.

btw, my first car was a 1968 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon with automatic transmission and a 390 V8 (gas was $0.39/Imperial gallon), and the fold up/down opposing 7,8,9,10 seats on the rear deck inside the tailgate. It was green with the adhesive trim "woody" decal inserts along the sides and on the tailgate. The tailgate window was remote powered up/down. Very fancy. Like some of these (if the link to the pics works?)
http://www.google.ca/search?q=1968+ford ... 24&bih=462