Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmobile View Post
So.....back to the original question. Many people say steer clear of Sprinters, diesels, and expensive/difficult to find maintenance.
If I was looking at a current Sprinter van should I avoid them in favor of Promaster and ztransit chassis?
I think the answer is: it depends. If you are doing a lot of highway driving and the engine gets hot regularly, they are more reliable than if you are doing a lot of short trips.

It also depends on where you are going and how rigid your schedule is. MB dealers are sparse in some areas of the country and not all of them can handle Sprinters. If you can tolerate the risk of having to wait for parts to be shipped and find someone who can work on it, you are better off than if you are traveling in remote areas but you MUST be at X by a certain time.

We chose the Transit partially because of reliability (rumored, anyway), partially because of service availability in the Western US as well as the lower expense of that service, and partially because hunting for a gas station that sells diesel can be a pain. YMMV
Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #22
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
So.....back to the original question. Many people say steer clear of Sprinters, diesels, and expensive/difficult to find maintenance.
If I was looking at a current Sprinter van should I avoid them in favor of Promaster and ztransit chassis?

I would not buy a vehicle (or any product for that matter) that I cannot get service when I needed it.

Do the observation:

Where do you like to travel? near major cities? or through the deserts and the plains?

How many service centers are near where you travel?

Do you like to pay extra to get "premium" parts and services?
Do you like crumpets in the waiting room?

Do you plan to buy new? or used?

Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
So.....back to the original question. Many people say steer clear of Sprinters, diesels, and expensive/difficult to find maintenance....
I encourage people to (a) find a good Sprinter mechanic and (b) negotiate the price. There are horror stories about what MB can charge, yes. But a fool and his/her money are soon parted. There are smarter ways to do it than to just roll over for it.

Last week I had the turbo hoses and coolant hoses replaced preemptively, and a new water pump installed preemptively (12 year old Sprinter), and of course with the water pump job must come a coolant flush and replacement, and with the T1N it can be a bit tricky to get the air out of the system, so the mechanic has to drive it for 20 or 30 miles, stomping on the accelerator to ensure a coolant fault does not pop up (I know this because I went with him). The labor portion for that roster of work was $583, which I don't consider unreasonable (it's a MB facility). He spent most of the day working on my T1N.

Now, if a person were to go in an order those services a la carte, the book rate for each one would add up to far more than that total.

To answer the next obvious question, I'm doing all that preemptively because I'm looking at cohorts with the same Class B MY, same builds, and similar usage patterns and watching what fails on their rigs. Then I'm simply making the decision to replace those parts before they fail on mine. I don't have the best statistical sample but I don't care - I'm just being ultra-conservative. One on-the-road failure can far exceed a thousand bucks once the logistics are taken into account (towing, lodging, lost work time, etc.). I'd rather do it this way and reduce my odds of a stranding. But I am almost certainly turfing out some still-good parts, yes.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
...If I was looking at a current Sprinter van should I avoid them in favor of Promaster and ztransit chassis?
For comparing the chassis I would suggest driving each unit and determining which has the best seating position, space utilization, and handling to fit your needs. Each of those three brands has individual chassis pros and cons, I don't think any one is heads and shoulders better overall.

But I think your real question perhaps is which powertrain type, diesel or gas, is best for your needs. Sprinters get a lot of negative posts due to complex diesel emission system troubles that can disrupt trips at critical times. However diesel Transit and Promaster owners report similar problems, it's just their diesels are only a small fraction of overall sales, whereas almost all Sprinters until now have been diesel. In fact Promaster has discontinued their diesel engine option completely.

I think Avanti, and other modern Sprinter owners, have previously made the valid point that it's really the diesel emission system faults that are the root of most anti-Sprinter feedback. That doesn't mean it's not a valid concern, but now that Sprinters have a gas engine option for 2019 it's wise to separate the chassis selection from the diesel/gas engine choice, and choose the best combo for your needs.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #25
Rok
Platinum Member

We've had our fair share of minor problems with our 2012 Sprinter. Some of the original parts were very fond of failing at inopportune times.

There was a fan type emissions thingy that went out at least twice on our rig (2013 Great West Legend SE built on a 2012 Mercedes 3500 Std Length). One time we were in Las Vegas and took it to a dealer down there. Our dealer in Lynnwood, WA, by the way is excellent, but they also are very proud of their service and charge accordingly, "and then some". I think their service rate is at least $125 per hour!

But, compared to the Las Vegas dealer, they are angels. In addition to the fact that there are very few MB dealers who deal with Sprinters, a goodly number of them just don't like working on Sprinters and will do passive-aggressive things like say "we can schedule you two months out" or "we charge up to $1000 to diagnose that particular problem because of...[insert some BS here]". That is what we got from the Las Vegas dealer. In that case the problem was that fan type thingy, and the rig would lose power in high heat. We ended up taking the rig back from the LV dealer after a full day of leaving it there only to have them tell us that their tech drove it for a full 6 miles and couldn't duplicate the problem. Well, of course not, we had told them it only presented itself AFTER the rig was operating at normal operating temperature. The bottom line was that they just didn't want to work on our Sprinter and forced us to run the gauntlet of passive aggressive BS to even have them look at it, but then they didn't really look at it in the end anyway.

So we drove back to Seattle driving mostly at night when the temperature was lower and the unit got us home.

Another time, I left Seattle to drive to Kentucky and got 120 miles away and the unit went into "limp home mode" where the computer detects some problem and forces your rig to drive at a max speed of 50-60 mph. Since I was only 120 miles away from home, had a tight schedule to make it to KY, and it was a Friday night and I probably wouldn't be able to get service until the following Monday, if that, I scuttled my trip and "limped home". The culprit, a tire rotation sensor for the stabilization program that set off two other systems because of it not working. And 3 systems failure="limp home mode".

That being said, the unit drives and operates unbelievably well, and it drives more like a car than a commercial vehicle. The seats are a bit basic and we get sore from driving distances without taking breaks, so we take turns and don't drive more than 2 hours at a time. (One of the problems with my recent 4400 mile solo trip to Indianapolis over this last (2018 ) 4th of July holiday, was that I didn't have my wife to swap driving with.)

Strangely with all those problems, I would still recommend the Sprinter diesel 3500 over other models.

BTW, many Sprinter owners don't carry a spare tire. Often, like in our rig, the space for the spare is used for a holding tank or generator (like ours) or "basement storage compartment" (again like ours). So the spare has to be mounted elsewhere or nowhere (the common option). You can get a mount that fits on the left back door like on the PW Ascents and RT Agiles, but many Sprinter Class B'ers just opt for none. I've heard that with the 3500's with 6 tires that you can drive with only 5 on the rig, but thankfully I can't be the voice of experience on that one.

Hope this all helps.

.....Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #26
Site Team

It just amazes me to see the wide spectrum of reports about various Sprinter dealers. The attitudes about servicing sprinters range from wild enthusiasm to Roc's Las Vegas experience. Prices for exactly the same service also varies by at least a factor of three!

We have the great good fortune to live near a very good one. I have almost zero complaints about the dealer south of Pittsburgh, and their prices are among the lowest I have seen reported. Of course, several of our adventures occurred far from home, so it is the roll of the dice. I will say that we have never encountered a nightmare dealer, and several very good ones.

BTW: If you need a dealer and discover that the local Mercedes place doesn't do Sprinters, be sure to ask them who does. They will very often point you in the right direction (often a Freightliner shop).
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default It all depends is a great answer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
For comparing the chassis I would suggest driving each unit and determining which has the best seating position, space utilization, and handling to fit your needs. Each of those three brands has individual chassis pros and cons, I don't think any one is heads and shoulders better overall.

But I think your real question perhaps is which powertrain type, diesel or gas, is best for your needs. Sprinters get a lot of negative posts due to complex diesel emission system troubles that can disrupt trips at critical times. However diesel Transit and Promaster owners report similar problems, it's just their diesels are only a small fraction of overall sales, whereas almost all Sprinters until now have been diesel. In fact Promaster has discontinued their diesel engine option completely.

I think Avanti, and other modern Sprinter owners, have previously made the valid point that it's really the diesel emission system faults that are the root of most anti-Sprinter feedback. That doesn't mean it's not a valid concern, but now that Sprinters have a gas engine option for 2019 it's wise to separate the chassis selection from the diesel/gas engine choice, and choose the best combo for your needs.
For me....I chose the Sprinter for the size, handling, fuel efficiency, and chassis....
The vehicle drives like a Lexus...and the 2011 is very quiet.....

To me..the driving experience is just as important or more important than the longevity and reliability....I can ALWAYS call AAA.....I need to be COMFORTABLE driving it....

Maybe the 2006 and earlier is more reliable?? Something is always possible...

YES... your mileage and service will vary.... I'm very proactive about keeping up with the maintenance and repairs..... I've had unexpected things.....it happens....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default My 2012 RS Adventurous drives very nice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
We've had our fair share of minor problems with our 2012 Sprinter. Some of the original parts were very fond of failing at inopportune times.

There was a fan type emissions thingy that went out at least twice on our rig (2013 Great West Legend SE built on a 2012 Mercedes 3500 Std Length). One time we were in Las Vegas and took it to a dealer down there. Our dealer in Lynnwood, WA, by the way is excellent, but they also are very proud of their service and charge accordingly, "and then some". I think their service rate is at least $125 per hour!

But, compared to the Las Vegas dealer, they are angels. In addition to the fact that there are very few MB dealers who deal with Sprinters, a goodly number of them just don't like working on Sprinters and will do passive-aggressive things like say "we can schedule you two months out" or "we charge up to $1000 to diagnose that particular problem because of...[insert some BS here]". That is what we got from the Las Vegas dealer. In that case the problem was that fan type thingy, and the rig would lose power in high heat. We ended up taking the rig back from the LV dealer after a full day of leaving it there only to have them tell us that their tech drove it for a full 6 miles and couldn't duplicate the problem. Well, of course not, we had told them it only presented itself AFTER the rig was operating at normal operating temperature. The bottom line was that they just didn't want to work on our Sprinter and forced us to run the gauntlet of passive aggressive BS to even have them look at it, but then they didn't really look at it in the end anyway.

So we drove back to Seattle driving mostly at night when the temperature was lower and the unit got us home.

Another time, I left Seattle to drive to Kentucky and got 120 miles away and the unit went into "limp home mode" where the computer detects some problem and forces your rig to drive at a max speed of 50-60 mph. Since I was only 120 miles away from home, had a tight schedule to make it to KY, and it was a Friday night and I probably wouldn't be able to get service until the following Monday, if that, I scuttled my trip and "limped home". The culprit, a tire rotation sensor for the stabilization program that set off two other systems because of it not working. And 3 systems failure="limp home mode".

That being said, the unit drives and operates unbelievably well, and it drives more like a car than a commercial vehicle. The seats are a bit basic and we get sore from driving distances without taking breaks, so we take turns and don't drive more than 2 hours at a time. (One of the problems with my recent 4400 mile solo trip to Indianapolis over this last (2018 ) 4th of July holiday, was that I didn't have my wife to swap driving with.)

Strangely with all those problems, I would still recommend the Sprinter diesel 3500 over other models.

BTW, many Sprinter owners don't carry a spare tire. Often, like in our rig, the space for the spare is used for a holding tank or generator (like ours) or "basement storage compartment" (again like ours). So the spare has to be mounted elsewhere or nowhere (the common option). You can get a mount that fits on the left back door like on the PW Ascents and RT Agiles, but many Sprinter Class B'ers just opt for none. I've heard that with the 3500's with 6 tires that you can drive with only 5 on the rig, but thankfully I can't be the voice of experience on that one.

Hope this all helps.

.....Rocky

I do have a spare tire underneath the chassis.... never needed it but glad it's there......
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #29
Rok
Platinum Member

RS1: on this last trip I had more storage room since it was just me traveling, so I put the spare under the bed. It felt good to know that I had it. I might get one of those door mount units for the future.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #30
Bronze Member

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, it’s greatly appreciated.

You’ve certainly given us some thought provoking insights. Thanks again.
Britmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
It just amazes me to see the wide spectrum of reports about various Sprinter dealers. The attitudes about servicing sprinters range from wild enthusiasm to Roc's Las Vegas experience. Prices for exactly the same service also varies by at least a factor of three!

We have the great good fortune to live near a very good one. I have almost zero complaints about the dealer south of Pittsburgh, and their prices are among the lowest I have seen reported. Of course, several of our adventures occurred far from home, so it is the roll of the dice. I will say that we have never encountered a nightmare dealer, and several very good ones.

BTW: If you need a dealer and discover that the local Mercedes place doesn't do Sprinters, be sure to ask them who does. They will very often point you in the right direction (often a Freightliner shop).
RV owners with the foresight to buy a coach with a Chevy 6.0 V8 have to be shaking their heads in amusement over this thread.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
.... I think their service rate is at least $125 per hour!

... there are very few MB dealers who deal with Sprinters, a goodly number of them just don't like working on Sprinters and will do passive-aggressive things like say "we can schedule you two months out" or "we charge up to $1000 to diagnose that particular problem because of...[insert some BS here]". ....
(1) In the greater Houston area, general RV labor is $100+ per hour. And that's for the general work (e.g., fixing a leaking Valterra valve) that does not require specialized ICE mechanical knowledge and tools. $125 per hour is totally in line with the market here, whether MB or anyone else.

(2) Someone must be working enthusiastically on Sprinters in each geographic area. If it's not MB proper, then it must be Dodge or Freightliner or someone else who handles all those FEDEX trucks, Loomis trucks, and umpteen different panel truck variations as well as Class Bs. Given the number of Sprinters on the road, they can't not exist. The trick is finding them.

We are very fortunate in having a relatively new Sprinter-only shop in our area. I did a google grab of what it looks like, but this was taken before the huge Sprinter signs went up (they cover many of those dark gray facade areas on the building).

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #33
Platinum Member

My mechanic services Sprinters. He loves to do it as he said he spends more time on fixing them than any other vehicle he gets in. He works on all foreign cars. Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, etc. He told me absolutely do not get a sprinter because of the issues it has.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperml View Post
My mechanic services Sprinters. He loves to do it as he said he spends more time on fixing them than any other vehicle he gets in. He works on all foreign cars. Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, etc. He told me absolutely do not get a sprinter because of the issues it has.
D-oh! Stupid Fedex!
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 AM   #35
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

We are very fortunate in having a relatively new Sprinter-only shop in our area. I did a google grab of what it looks like, but this was taken before the huge Sprinter signs went up (they cover many of those dark gray facade areas on the building).
Our dealer, Mercedes of Lynnwood, which except for the price is excellent, has expanded their Sprinter presence so much that they have acquired a complete additional building as their "Sprinter-Only" facility.

So, while it will be affiliated with the other dealer, we'll have one of those Sprinter Only places pretty soon, too. It might even be up and running at this point. I haven't been to the shop for quite a while.

....Rocky
Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 AM   #36
Bronze Member

This is my second sprinter van . I will drive one forever . The upkeep can be pricey from the dealer as they always have something to sell you but i have never had an issue . Only cost have beel, oil, brakes, tires ext
A good diesel engine taken care of will go 500k and over in miles . When investing over 100k in a coach its just a sound investment
David Pouliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pouliot View Post
This is my second sprinter van . I will drive one forever . The upkeep can be pricey from the dealer as they always have something to sell you but i have never had an issue . Only cost have beel, oil, brakes, tires ext
A good diesel engine taken care of will go 500k and over in miles . When investing over 100k in a coach its just a sound investment
Which Sprinter van do you have?
Britmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #38
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pouliot View Post
Originally Posted by jon
That’s another fun one 10 starts before limp mode when your 1000 miles from home.
I loved the way my MB cruised….until it didn’t cruise good. It started losing power on mountain passes. Bogged down I even had to crest one mountain pass with my emergency flashers on while driving on the shoulder.
Good for all these people. My diesel would probably last for lots of miles too…Now that everything seems to be fixed. I, for one do not want to keep my sprinter because I don’t trust it to be problem free.
Since switched to gas I’ve never had another problem until I bought the diesel Sprinter. No. I don’t care how much of a hit I’ll take. Not worrying about when my Campervan will break down next will be priceless.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #39
Bronze Member

Default 2500

Quote:
Which Sprinter van do you have?
I have the 2500 as a work truck with the 6 cylinder . And i ave a RoadTrek Agile SS with the 2.4 4 cylinder . Was sceptical of a 9000 lbs vehicle towing another 5 k trailer but it is effortless
David Pouliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:23 AM   #40
Platinum Member

I have the Chevy 6.0, and do find these responses interesting. Ron