Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
What was the reason behind the re-specification of 229.51 to 229.52 anyway?
I found this on a MB related discussion site. Ravenol appears to be a quite well respected oil testing place.

It is interesting that the .52 lists improvements to oxidation resistance and fuel consumption.

To me, those terms mean less oil sludge from high temperatures by reduced oxidation, and better fuel economy due having reduced viscosity.

The .51 is now apparently not recommended for any of the Blue Tec engines, so the oxidation issue must have been relatively severe. I think these two revisions came out only a year apart, so they mush have had some issues it would appear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB oil spec change.jpg (107.4 KB, 288 views)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 AM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Reality is though that unless we order a vehicle with the associated long delivery time, we would be stuck with whatever options or on the vehicles in the dealer's lot.
It is not hard to add a DIY second alternator to a Sprinter. That is what I did with our rig.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:07 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Regarding idling - if you do a search they is a lot of info on the problems with long idling of diesels just as the Sprinter owners manual points out thanks to Booster's post above.

This article on diesel engine myths is from the power and motor yacht world. Myth #1 applies to fuel dilution in all diesels, just as mentioned in the Sprinter owners manual.
For the record:
I never said that the manual didn't mention long idle. What I said was that it didn't say that you couldn't do it. It only says that you have to balance it with highway driving, as I said. This was in the context of whether long idle can "void your warranty."

I repeat for emphasis: I do not think long idling is good for your engine. It just doesn't produce warranty issues, as far as I can see.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
For the record:
I never said that the manual didn't mention long idle. What I said was that it didn't say that you couldn't do it. It only says that you have to balance it with highway driving, as I said. This was in the context of whether long idle can "void your warranty."

I repeat for emphasis: I do not think long idling is good for your engine. It just doesn't produce warranty issues, as far as I can see.
I agree 100%.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #45
Bronze Member

Default Newbie to Pleasure Way Ascent

Hello,

We are new to RV'ing, having just bought a 2017 Pleasure Way Ascent with 14,000 miles.

Are others using a electric hot plate for cooking? We're a bit concerned with cooking inside the coach due to the smells and possibly absorbing into the cloth. What are others using?

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Floyd & Jane
floydj@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 AM   #46

I'm sorry to reply to this topic to late. Someone told me I should visit it, since it's about the BlueTec article I wrote.
It seems that I've ruffled a lot of feathers with what I said. If your readers would like to see what Mercedes-Benz says about my article, I invite you to read the 2018 Sprinter Owners Booklet at: https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owne.../owner-manuals
If you go to pages 282 & 283, you will find it looks familiar. I can back up everything in the article with Mercedes own documents. Drop me a email about anything I've said, & I'll send you the documents to prove every word. It's to bad Mercedes waited 10 years to finally come around. I know you folks haven't heard of any Diesel engine problems, but my phone rings none stop with owners who tell a different story.
VYRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #47
Platinum Member

@VYRUS Your articles would have a whole lot more credibility and believeability if you didn't require a $200 payment to obtain details backing up your generalities and claims.
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
@VYRUS Your articles would have a whole lot more credibility and believeability if you didn't require a $200 payment to obtain details backing up your generalities and claims.
This is the guy who says that you should use motorcycle oil in your Sprinter, rather than the specified BeVo certified lubricants.

I have to give him credit--that ridiculous article is getting VERY hard to avoid on the Net.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VYRUS View Post
I'm sorry to reply to this topic to late. Someone told me I should visit it, since it's about the BlueTec article I wrote.
It seems that I've ruffled a lot of feathers with what I said. If your readers would like to see what Mercedes-Benz says about my article, I invite you to read the 2018 Sprinter Owners Booklet at: https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owne.../owner-manuals
If you go to pages 282 & 283, you will find it looks familiar. I can back up everything in the article with Mercedes own documents. Drop me a email about anything I've said, & I'll send you the documents to prove every word. It's to bad Mercedes waited 10 years to finally come around. I know you folks haven't heard of any Diesel engine problems, but my phone rings none stop with owners who tell a different story.
Thanks for adding a comment to this forum. Your article has gotten even more discussion on the Sprinter-Source forum. The Mercedes-Benz Service Bulletin, S.I.00.20-D-0029A, you mentioned on your web page has been posted on the Sprinter-Source forum at this link...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...85&postcount=1

Personally I think the latest version of your article on BlueTec Mercedes Diesels is informative and has some good advice for anyone driving only short distances. One comment about DPF regeneration temperature. I think it is more in the range of 1200-1300 degF, rather than the 1600 degF you mention in your article.

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs

I've attached copy of the 2018 Sprinter owner's manual pages you referenced. Mercedes did add comment about getting out on a highway for 20 minutes every 300 miles to ensure proper DPF regeneration. But there is nothing obvious about a shorter oil change interval if you drive short distances. I guess the ASSYST system will give one a shorter oil change interval is you drive only short trips.

Best wishes and Happy New Year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018SprinterOMpage282.JPG (136.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2018SprinterOMpage283.JPG (160.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks for adding a comment to this forum. Your article has gotten even more discussion on the Sprinter-Source forum. The Mercedes-Benz Service Bulletin, S.I.00.20-D-0029A, you mentioned on your web page has been posted on the Sprinter-Source forum at this link...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...85&postcount=1
Thank you for posting this link. I recommend that folks actually read it. If they do, they will see that it says nothing like what he claims it says.

He claims the following:
Quote:
Mercedes says BlueTec diesel’s should reduce their oil change intervals to 3000 miles if they drive primarily short trips in stop & go city traffic. Owners in warm climates that drive both city & freeway, should change the oil every 5000 miles. Owners in warm climates who only drive at freeway speeds, can go 20000 miles on oil changes. The bulletin warns about fuel accretion & how it can ruin the engine. Mercedes even says the damage is not covered by the warranty.
What it actually says is that the recommended OCI has been raised to 40,000KM, but that the maintenance computer may adjust this according to driving conditions--possibly down to as low as 5,000KM, BUT ALSO POSSIBLY UP to 50,000KM. There is no mention of mixed driving requiring 5,000 miles OCI.

As for warranty: It says in effect that damage due to not following manufacturer's recommendations may not be covered under warranty. This is news?

Quote:
Personally I think the latest version of your article on BlueTec Mercedes Diesels is informative and has some good advice for anyone driving only short distances. One comment about DPF regeneration temperature. I think it is more in the range of 1200-1300 degF, rather than the 1600 degF you mention in your article.

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs

I've attached copy of the 2018 Sprinter owner's manual pages you referenced. Mercedes did add comment about getting out on a highway for 20 minutes every 300 miles to ensure proper DPF regeneration. But there is nothing obvious about a shorter oil change interval if you drive short distances. I guess the ASSYST system will give one a shorter oil change interval is you drive only short trips.
There is NOTHING substantively different in the MY2018 manual. The "20 minutes ever 300 miles" stuff is present in my MY2014 Operator's Manual (Page 155). His claim that all this stuff is new as of MY2018 is absurd. His fundraising for his "Grandson’s college savings plan" is based on scare tactics and the hope that people won't bother to check his references.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:07 PM   #51
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for posting this link. I recommend that folks actually read it. If they do, they will see that it says nothing like what he claims it says.

He claims the following:

What it actually says is that the recommended OCI has been raised to 40,000KM, but that the maintenance computer may adjust this according to driving conditions--possibly down to as low as 5,000KM, BUT ALSO POSSIBLY UP to 50,000KM. There is no mention of mixed driving requiring 5,000 miles OCI.

As for warranty: It says in effect that damage due to not following manufacturer's recommendations may not be covered under warranty. This is news?

There is NOTHING substantively different in the MY2018 manual. The "20 minutes ever 300 miles" stuff is present in my MY2014 Operator's Manual (Page 155). His claim that all this stuff is new as of MY2018 is absurd. His fundraising for his "Grandson’s college savings plan" is based on scare tactics and the hope that people won't bother to check his references.
avanti, VYRUS is here now, right? He's a member of the forum, so he can present his evidence here anytime he chooses, right? If so:

VYRUS, you write "I'm sorry to reply to this topic to late." Hey, no problem. Please present the evidence that disputes what has been written above. A link to an owner's manual won't get it., and neither will any of your 'credentials' either.

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #52
Platinum Member

I'm also skeptical of using oil other than that recommended by manufactures.

Should have added that the real problems with Mercedes BlueTec diesels is in the SCR/DEF systems. They appear to be much more problematic then the DPF, engine oil choice or change interval. Since DEF has a 2 year shelf life it is conceivable that the DEF in a tank of a Sprinter that is only driven 5-6000 miles a year could be past it's life - adding to problems with sensors etc.

I think Mr. Stephens is correct that getting up to date ECU software is an important step.

Any ICE vehicle only driven on short trips around town is likely to cause all sorts of issues. A gas or diesel engine is happier if driven longer distances at full operating temp.

I'm glad to see that Sprinters will again be available with a gasoline engine.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
... There is NOTHING substantively different in the MY2018 manual. The "20 minutes ever 300 miles" stuff is present in my MY2014 Operator's Manual (Page 155). His claim that all this stuff is new as of MY2018 is absurd. His fundraising for his "Grandson’s college savings plan" is based on scare tactics and the hope that people won't bother to check his references.
Just checked - even my 2012 owners manual has the same comment:

"Therefore, if you mainly drive short
distances, you should drive on a highway or
on rural roads for 20 minutes every
310 miles (500 km). This ensures sufficient
regeneration of the diesel particle filter."
Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Not so long ago searching for information was indeed just searching. With the ubiquitous Internet, searches turned into primarily screenings. To limit screenings through “unpacking” u-tube videos or other self-promoting garbage I tend to focus on more proven or well-known sources than just topics.

I often use “-source” for example “-pinterest” in search window to prescreen results, unfortunately I didn’t figure out yet how to add these exclusions in search preferences, the VIRUS would take an honorable place.

Motorcycle oil, wow, news for me, I must admit I never read the VIRUS’ post.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Motorcycle oil, wow, news for me, I must admit I never read the VIRUS’ post.
The "post" actually changes constantly. I think the "motorcycle oil" recommendation has recently been removed from the (in)famous screed. But he still stands behind it in other places. He does now admit that for Sprinter use you might need an "additive".
Old 12-31-2018, 09:54 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Motorcycle oil was the go to oil for a lot of us in older vehicles and small engines when the changes were first made to SM oil. It was the only stuff around that still had the antiscuff agents those engines need. The other possibility was diesel oil in those days, but many of us didn't like the idea of having all the added stuff to handle the diesel specific oil contamination when it wasn't needed. There are now quite a few small engine, ATV, old car, oils around plus some of the premium brands like Redline kept the additives and didn't get the rating after about SJ. Lots more options for gasser oil now.

That said, no matter how good the oil itself is for the mechanical parts, it does need the diesel specific additives to handle the diesel specific contamination. Using a non diesel oil in a diesel is just not a good idea, IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:25 PM   #57
Platinum Member

He could go further in motorcycle oil recommendation and propose to use two cycle castor motorcycle racing oil, it would be a dual-purpose oil, to lubricate and to run the engine .
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
The "post" actually changes constantly. I think the "motorcycle oil" recommendation has recently been removed from the (in)famous screed. But he still stands behind it in other places. He does now admit that for Sprinter use you might need an "additive".
Yes it is updated often. I used the "wayback machine" to check on the older recommendations about motorcycle oil and additives. Those items are removed from current page and likely what you can now get by paying $200.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #59

Default Mercedes 3 liter blu tech diesel engine

I am stringly considering purchasing a Leisure Travel Van RV. All models come with a diesel engine (most with mercedes- one with a ford diesel). I have tried to understand these messages. I am far from being a mechanic. My question is are these engines any good? Are they high maintenance? Can an everage person manage one? Just seems that there are so many contingencies with driving conditions, temperature, oil, type of oil- that it is really making me think twice about purchasing a LTV.

any input would be greatly appreciated- especially from LTV owners- is it such a big deal to try to maintain these engines? I have never had a vehicle with a diesel engine and from what I read it seems pretty scary to get a LTV with a diesel.

Thanks
Mslavonic08@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:47 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Our Sprinter Class B RV is our first diesel vehicle. It has been a good experience for us. In fact, there are many distinct advantages.

Diesel fuel is readily available at virtually every gas station. I change my own oil which takes me about 15 minutes. I buy the correct oil at my local auto parts store and stock up when it goes on sale. I use the local Freightliner dealer for other service work including occasional fuel filter replacements and their prices are reasonable. They are even open nights and weekends for the truckers.

We get much better mileage than we would with a gas van. We also have a diesel Espar furnace which runs off the van fuel tank so I haven't had to refill my LP tank for several years. The Sprinter is also set up for easy installation of a second alternator so I never have to deal with a loud and obnoxious generator to charge our battery bank.

There are some people that have had emission issues but our van has a 100,000 mile warranty for any emission problems and I doubt I will even keep the van longer than that. Our van has been perfect so far.

For us there, there were also really no other good options other than a MB Sprinter based Class B. I had no interest in a Promaster and there were very few Ford Transit options then. I still haven't seen a Ford that I would be interested in. I certainly wouldn't be frightened off by a diesel RV.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote