Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Mercedes Metris poptop conversions?

Has anyone any information on whom may soon start converting the Metris van into a pop top type camper van? I understand that Mercedes will not be importing the Marco Polo, but now that the Metris is here, was wondering if any US companies have expressed an interest in a similar conversion. I have found only Recon Campers, but am wondering if anyone has more up to date info on other US companies(or Hymer) expressing an interest in the conversion. Thank you.
thomaswclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Reimo Americas has announced a Metris pop-top conversion:
Reimo Americas - Home

And GTRV (Garagable Top RV) a small converter on the west coast adds low-profile tops for a variety of van types:
GTRV - The Drivable, Garagable, Pop Top Camper!

And there was a long thread last year about Class B Micro Campers that included a number of good pop-top options:
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...mper-3534.html
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Nice find rockymtnb,
Seems like Recon campers won't be the only ones planning to upfit the Metris.
Recon Campers

My FB album on the Metris van
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I was surprised about the Metris when I was looking at 144 Sprinters. Obviously it looks like a nice replacement for a Vanagon/Eurovan. Too bad they aren't bringing the Marco Polo to the US, but having another fitout built could work too.

My wife and I were thinking full size class B but continue to evaluate our needs (dream vs. reality of how we use it). Our current thinking may actually lead us down the Metris path. I have always liked they Vanagon/Eurovan size but nothing has been available. We were thinking of a 144 sized Sprinter as a daily driver, but it wouldn't fit in our parking garage (we live in downtown Boston). The Metris may actually be a good compromise. The only downside really is the bathroom situation but that might be workable.

Overall Metris vs. a full size class B or Sprinter 144:

- Can park the Metris in our home parking garage - so no need for RV storage cost (for a full size class B) and no need to change our city rental spot to an outside spot (hard to find) to fit a 144 sprinter
- Use as daily driver. We live downtown but I work about an hour outside the city. Better size vs. a 144 as a daily driver. Although a 144 is about the size as a pickup truck so it wouldn't be too bad, but a Metris is much more car like. I currently drive a MINI two door so going to a Sprinter would be huge. Having a campervan as a daily driver opens up awesome opportunities for use not just on the weekends... could do short fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking excursions before or after work. The 144 would be better for this with a nice bathroom to shower before work but could still be possible with a Metris (rear shower, add curtain, etc... could be a bit strange to do that in a trailhead parking lot... )but not perfect.
- Able to use for most of what our usage is... base camp for hiking and fishing day trips and overnights on weekends (e.g. Friday, Saturday nights; return on Sundays). With a full size Class B we would need to go to an RV storage location, pull out the RV then use it for the day, etc. With a daily driver situation (Metris or 144) we would be ready to go from home.
- Still usable as a week long vacation vehicle but that might be pushing it with the size... but with the cost savings as a daily driver we might choose different options for vacation instead of using an RV.
- The 144 high roof would have the best stealth interior and bathroom setup, but I think an inside porta potti (like used on Vanagons and Sportsmobiles with the "50" layout) could work 99% of how we want to use it. For overnight stays could setup a porta potti outhouse style tent and shower in the campground lot (probably would have showered there anyway in the 144).

Either way it's awesome to have new options available.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Mercedes Benz made a van announcement today (USA).
It is supposed to be something in addition to the Sprinter.
I don't know the detail; you can check the web for info.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Mercedes Benz made a van announcement today (USA).
It is supposed to be something in addition to the Sprinter.
I don't know the detail; you can check the web for info.
Thanks BBQ. I searched but the only update I noticed today were sales figures. Would be great if they were going to make a model update... hopefully an addition.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Here's the video

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...66821094326%2F
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Cool. Thanks BBQ. The announcement appears to be the introduction of a Metris Worker van with an MSRP around $25K vs. $30K+ for the regular model. Hoping these vans gain traction in the US and then maybe they will add future models, engines, etc.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Good news! I talked to GTRV today (link below) about a Westy poptop conversion on a Metris. They said they are currently doing 8 conversions and have more in the queue. Their "Westy" layout is very similar to the Westfalia Vanagon camper and Mercedes Marco Polo layouts. Also, the roof looks very similar as well.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Good news! I talked to GTRV today (link below) about a Westy poptop conversion on a Metris. They said they are currently doing 8 conversions and have more in the queue. Their "Westy" layout is very similar to the Westfalia Vanagon camper and Mercedes Marco Polo layouts. Also, the roof looks very similar as well.

They are currently doing 8 Metris conversions? That is very good, I wonder if they are for buyers or a rental fleet?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

They mentioned they have built Metris vans going to 9 different states so it doesn't sound like rental fleet builds. I will investigate to see if there are rentals available. I would love to rent one before purchase.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Not sure of their recent production volume but it seems like this is a nice ramp up in production. They are also doing low roof Transits with the pop top...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Going to follow this thread. The Metris Conversion is of great interest to me. Thanks for the info.
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:57 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

Old 07-30-2016, 01:30 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Love this build out. I took a look at what GTRV and Reimo are building. Not quite as polished but still pretty sweet.
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #16
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
They mentioned they have built Metris vans going to 9 different states so it doesn't sound like rental fleet builds. I will investigate to see if there are rentals available. I would love to rent one before purchase.
That is a great news...Metris is definitely our van, although we would probably wait for a few more years - for a diesel model (we want to have Webasto-type heater rather than propane in addition to electricity) and a conversion that is close to Marco Polo Activity... Just afraid it might be a long wait (if ever).
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
...Metris is definitely our van, although we would probably wait for a few more years - for a diesel model - we want to have Webasto-type heater...
No need to wait for that - the Webasto AirTop heater is also available in a petrol (gasoline) fired version. It's widely used in Canada for cab heating purposes and US converters such as Van Specialties use it for Transit and Promaster conversions. It would be well suited for the Metris.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quick update on GTRV built Metris pop-top conversions. They updated their website with some photos of the progress.
GTRV Vans for sale!

Nice to see the build and it definitely looks like the Reimo conversion equipment with the sliding seat/bed system, the jug water supply, and modern style cabinetry. The windows do appear to open and are similar to other GTRV style windows vs. the non-opening Metris passenger style windows I have seen in other photos. Not as pretty but more functional. Also, the van appears to be built with the barn doors instead of the tailgate. Personally for me that would be my choice because, to my knowledge, the Metris tailgate window doesn't open separate from the tailgate (e.g. the MB Marco Polo camper the rear window does pop open). It will be great to see a final GTRV product once it is complete.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #19

Here is the answer to a question I just asked Sportsmobile regarding plans to offer a Metris version of their campervans.

Q. Are there any plans to add some lower-height vehicles, such as the beautiful Mercedes Metris, as Sportsmobile options? I would choose a Sportsmobile immediately if I could fit one inside a standard seven-foot high US garage. Unfortunately, all of the current options are just too tall.

A. Thank you for your inquiry with Sportsmobile. Yes, we are currently in the design and development phases with the Metris chassis. We are hoping to debut this new Sportsmobile conversion in the first quarter of 2017, so please stay in touch with us on this new chassis.
EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Interesting. That is definitely new SMB news. I contacted them in June and they responded that they were not going to build a Metris based camper. Personally I thought that was strange because the Metris with a popup seemed like a perfect fit for them. Glad to see they are going to introduce a product on that chassis.