Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Default Mercedes sprinter service in lower Michigan

Hi, I live in Lansing and am trying to find someone to service my 2018 Roadtrek Agile but am running into "No can do". My blind spot assist has never worked and I'm now getting odd readings from the TPMS system. I've found places that will do my A & B services (when I need them) but they won't (can't?) touch anything to do with the computer or safety systems. The two Mercedes dealers I've contacted (Okemos and Grand Blanc) won't do motorhomes. I guess a road trip is necessary. So, can anybody recommend a good service center? or what ones to avoid?
mlk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, I think I can help:
There is a Freightliner dealer called Hoekstra in that area. They do Sprinter warranty work, and they are first rate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanks. I've already contacted them. They said they couldn't work on that system and recommended I call Grand Blanc Motors (Mercedes dealer). Grand Blanc won't work on motorhomes
Old 04-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk51 View Post
Thanks. I've already contacted them. They said they couldn't work on that system and recommended I call Grand Blanc Motors (Mercedes dealer). Grand Blanc won't work on motorhomes
That's very strange. They certainly have worked on emissions issues in my motorhome. I THOUGHT they were a full-service Sprinter shop. I know that they have more than one location. Any chance you spoke to the wrong one?

I have never heard of a Sprinter shop refusing to work on Motorhomes, although they may charge you if they have to remove MH-specific stuff to perform the repair. I would call the MB support line.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Could be an issue of Freightliner Sprinter dealers being approved for warranty work on Mercedes badged Sprinters. Our RT is a Freightliner and Hoekstra did all the work on ours.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:00 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I had my first warranty work done at Freighliner dealer in Portland OR.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I had my first warranty work done at Freighliner dealer in Portland OR.
I recall that at some point there were Freightliner Sprinter dealers who could not do warranty work on Mercedes Sprinters. May have been specific regions or specific dealers. I think a call to Mercedes would be the way to go to see if they can allow warranty work at Feightliner. Ours is a Freightliner and I never took it to a Mercedes dealer so I never encountered the issue. Did get a non warranty repair in Prince George BC on the way to Alaska at the Dodge dealer when the local Freightliner dealer (not a Sprinter dealer) was unable to even order a $10 part for our Sprinter to fix the brakes. The Dodge dealer still was servicing the Dodge Sprinters from the years when there were no Mercedes, only Dodge and Freightliner until Daimler sold Chrysler to Fiat.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Mercedes Dealers Doing Freightliner Warranty Work

I'm in the SF Bay Area, not Michigan, but I've had a very good experience with the local Mercedes dealer performing warranty and other other work on my Freightliner-branded Class B. Ultimately, they're all built in the same Dusseldorf factory. It might help that my local dealer sells Sprinters (and hopes to sell me a new one).
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Probably not relevant given your location, but if you don’t mind a road trip on I-69 to Indy, World Wide Motors on the north edge of the I-465 beltway did warranty work on my 2013 RT several times. I’ve continued to use them post-warranty. They have always diagnosed and fixed problems on first try. As I write this they are completing my 90k mile service.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I use Hoekstra in Troy, MI. Call and speak to Jake Oliver. They have done warranty work for my sprinter motor home.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #11

I think gregmchugh has it right vis-a-vis Freightliner & Mercedes. I finally called Mercedes Customer Assistance and learned about the mbvans.com site. When I went there to check service availability, Hoekstra was not listed. I now have an appointment with Orrin B. Hayes in Kalamazoo.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk51 View Post
I think gregmchugh has it right vis-a-vis Freightliner & Mercedes. I finally called Mercedes Customer Assistance and learned about the mbvans.com site. When I went there to check service availability, Hoekstra was not listed. I now have an appointment with Orrin B. Hayes in Kalamazoo.
Well, please see the attached:

Hokestra.jpg

As I said, Hoekstra is first rate.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

As I said, Hoekstra is first rate.
I agree. I just had my 10k service done there.

Mike
Old 05-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post

Mike
Freightliner Sprinter dealers can surely do service on Mercedes Sprinters, the only issue I ever saw was that some of them in certain areas were not approved to do warranty work on Mercedes Sprinters. I don’t recall the specific details but it has been reported in the past and it may not apply to all dealers or all regions.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
Bronze Member

You are notlooking in the correct place. You want coach work not chassis (Mercedes) work. Look for someone who does Roadtrek service. I understand this may be difficult as Roadtrek are now orphaned.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604eholston@charter.net View Post
You are notlooking in the correct place. You want coach work not chassis (Mercedes) work. Look for someone who does Roadtrek service. I understand this may be difficult as Roadtrek are now orphaned.
Blind spot assist and TPMS are Mercedes features not something added by Roadtrek.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #17
Silver Member

To those viewing this thread who may not have a MB Sprinter, although I love my Pleasure-Way, I really wish they wouldn't have used that chassis. One negative is, as you read here that actual authorized MB Sprinter dealers can be few and far between. If you are contemplating buying an RV with one, make sure there is one relatively close to your home base. Also, I spend about 6 months out of the year on the road and while no emergency has happened yet, I'm holding my breath that I'm out somewhere where there wouldn't be an authorized service center for hundreds of miles.

Another negative is that the 3-lier turbodiesel is not designed to run on anything but #2 Diesel and B5 Bio-Diesel (not B20). In an emergency you can use the B20 but only sparingly if you read the manual. I've been trapped a couple times in the West where I have no alternatives but use B20.

Finally, is relatively high service cost. I'm not handy so I get to bend over ever 10k miles and when bad things happen like when my McPherson struts gave up the ghost recently.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post

Mike
Mike,

If I could be so personal to ask, what were you charged for your 10k service? Did your service include a fuel filter replacement?

Ray B.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #19

Agree. We have our 2012 RoadTrek RS serviced by Hoekstra. They are good and if there is a need for a software update for the Mercedes chassis, they have the equipment to update.
Patty1819 is offline   Reply With Quote