Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
………………………….
MB Marco Polo Vito Camper Van

I agree with GeorgeRa that ARV decision not to try to implement the proven Westfalia layout is questionnable. There's ample space for a galley beside the bed area. It seems they are using a finished passenger van without the OEM captain seats and installing a "smart" floor with tracks for the 3+2 (OEM?) passenger seats. To be confirmed.
In Europe MB is offering the Marco Polo on the Vito/Metris platform in two versions: a 2 passenger seats+galley and also a 3 seats, no galley "Activity" version (see photo).
……………………..[/url]
I have been asking myself that question often, why can’t we have Marco Polo in NA? MB already has Metris here, being a passenger van, I don’t think it would fall under the chicken law. Perhaps a profitable business for Advance RV would be to bring ready to go Marco Polo by working with MB and start renting from the get go, but, I doubt it is their goal.

Is the market of young family camping van truly so small that economically it is not feasible?, I have my doubts.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Interesting business concept, looking forward to see more info. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...van?ref=c0kwx8
Not an original concept; it is called "Mercedes Benz Marco Polo" in Europe. No mention of this on their kickstarter, which I find unethical. Most importantly, considering you can get a used 2016 Metris for ~$20,000, $55,000 conversion price (especially for what you get, which is not Marco Polo quality) is outrageous in my opinion.
kllcbosmetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:11 AM   #23

Maybe the Advanced RV will evolve to something more like the Marco Polo if that's what people want? I find the Marco Polo much more interesting (inside galley) than the slide-out outdoor kitchen ARV proposes....
biofloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
I have been asking myself that question often, why can’t we have Marco Polo in NA?
The Airstream Westfalia experiment was a bit of a disaster. I know it is apples and bananas ( ), but the memory of that kind of thing can bounce around an industry for a long time.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kllcbosmetris View Post
Not an original concept; it is called "Mercedes Benz Marco Polo" in Europe. No mention of this on their kickstarter, which I find unethical. Most importantly, considering you can get a used 2016 Metris for ~$20,000, $55,000 conversion price (especially for what you get, which is not Marco Polo quality) is outrageous in my opinion.
Agreed, it's not a truly original concept. They are more than 100 van conversions based on the Vito/Metris chassis in Europe. The Marco Polo is manufactured by Mercedes Benz but it's not the only one with that layout, just like the California by WV which copied the Westfalia layout. Just Google "Vito Camper Van". The originality of the ARV MetriVan is the use of a foldable platform bed that extends over the passenger seats and the kitchen module (which is a concept that has been seen before but sold as conversion kits).
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:19 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The Airstream Westfalia experiment was a bit of a disaster. I know it is apples and bananas ( ), but the memory of that kind of thing can bounce around an industry for a long time.
There were additional market drivers which more or less contributed:

1. Westfalia was purchased by Daimler in 1996 and almost driven to the ground, Westfalia was saved by the French company Rapido in 2010.

2. Daimler purchase forced VW to turn to Winnebago for their camper vans in NA, not very successful.

3. SUV purged VW vans from US market.

4. VW T series out from US for ever causing me to drool while there, I like the VW T6 more than the Vito.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Looks like funding for the metrivan was cancelled: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...van-camper-van

Quote:
US$ 6,625 pledged of $75,000 goal 16 backers

Funding Canceled

I don't know if the project will proceed or not.

For those interested in similar sized minivan campers here are some links:

GTRV

http://www.5marsvr.com/illusion-2.html

https://sportsmobile.com/mercedes-metris/

https://www.reconcampers.com/
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I am not surprised.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #29
Platinum Member

This is the cancellation notice...

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
This conversion is very close to VW Westfalia’s layout including prices, our last Westfalia in 85 was $20K so in today’s dollar is about $45K. Seems as good plywood not particle board, I wish them best.
Attached Images
File Type: png re.png (50.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #31
Platinum Member

The MetriVan project is a very courageous venture considering ARV's usual high quality and meticulous craftsmanship that justify higher conversion costs on top of the base price of a Metris. Even if their intention is to have an entry-level product it won't be cheap to produce at their facilities. A nationwide rental business is another challenge as mentioned in the video. I wish them good luck is pursuing this project.

I also think they should try a Westfalia layout for a full featured van like the luxurious Westfalia Jules Verne with rear bathroom. Impressive ultra-compact layout.

The link:
Jules Verne | Westfalia Mobil GmbH

--

Quote:
This conversion is very close to VW Westfalia’s layout including prices, our last Westfalia in 85 was $20K so in today’s dollar is about $45K. Seems as good plywood not particle board, I wish them best.

Glad to see that Recon is still improving it's NV200 Camper. Just updated my Kampervan FB album with the latest Envy model photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/kamperva...19197651674314

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

Glad to see that Recon is still improving it's NV200 Camper. Just updated my Kampervan FB album with the latest Envy model photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/kamperva...19197651674314

Nice, great design and implementation. The Nissan NV200 (or Chevy City Express) is smaller than Metris which is about the size of old VW Bus or current VW T6. Thank you for sharing. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/compar...is_d2200_d2348
Old 11-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Here is a pretty good youtube video of the recon camper.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote