Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
EJ2

Default Mice got in over the winter storage.

Greetings all,
Went to pick up my RV after having it stored outside for the winter. The batteries were pulled, but the space for the coach battery left some spots where intruders (mice) got in. There's rodent droppings everywhere.

What's the best process for cleaning up this mess? I intend to do a good vacuuming, washing (with bleach where I can) sheets, dish cloths, stored clothes, etc. All surfaces need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. I haven't looked under the sheets to check the cushions at the back yet. The front seats seem to be clean, but....

Any further recommendations? Should I consider putting moth balls inside next winter before storing? What do others do?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mice got in over the winter storage.

There's the risk of Hantavirus - http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus - infection through contact with hantavirus-infected rodents or their urine and droppings so be cautious and don't stir up dust.

Quote:
When you begin cleaning, it is important that you do not stir up dust by sweeping or vacuuming up droppings, urine, or nesting materials.
Here's a link to cleaning guidelines: http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/cleaning/index.html

Prevention by blocking all entrance holes is number one on the list.
I've had squirrels pull out insulation from the engine compartment but no mice in RV's yet.

I'd be interested in learning of everyone's prevention tips too.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
EJ2

Thanks for the tips, Marko.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I have had very good luck placing small aluminum pie tins with 1/4 cup of shavings from Irish Spring bar soap in the compartments. I heard about this years ago and it has worked great in my boats.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
EJ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber
I have had very good luck placing small aluminum pie tins with 1/4 cup of shavings from Irish Spring bar soap in the compartments. I heard about this years ago and it has worked great in my boats.
Interesting. I was considering moth balls in the compartments, but Irish Spring sounds/smells much better. "Aye! And I use it too!"
Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
EJ2

Update: After a little online research I found Fresh Cab http://www.earth-kind.com/ is highly recommended. Where dryer sheets, Irish Spring etc. failed, Fresh Cab worked. Now, I guess I'll have to try my local RV dealer to see if they carry it. If not, I may have to order online. In the mean time, I'm going to look for Fels Naptha bar soap as an alternative to moth balls. I'll use that in combination with Ajax powder containing bleach. Apparently mice burn their noses on it and retreat.