Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Michelin Agilis Cross climate LT245/75R/16 impressions

New tires on my Chevrolet based 2006 Pleasure Way Lexor TD last week.
running 80/55 pounds for near 9000 pounds

Total cost after rebates $787.01
( another tread has story costco vs discount tire)

initial ambient temps 80/100º

First impressions were not great, more road noise and "slapping" on expansion joints, ride quality comfort just "ok"
( new bilsteins underneath)-
I was bummed from Phoenix to Kingman

Then after the first 700 miles I realized I was no longer focused on the tires

We ran 2800 miles this week and I am HAPPY with this choice

80% interstate, 15% town, a little dirt/gravel

temps range 35º to 100º

tires became more quiet, less slappy on the expansion joints and ride quality improved maybe,
surefooted on grooves and ruts in construction zones

the tread does pick up and hold gravel, which will start spitting out at 40 mph

I hit some standing water at speed on I90 and there was no hydroplaning, In the wet there was less spray kicked up than most other vehicles on the road. this indicates to me that the water is better moved away from the contact patch

These tires feel more grippy and stable on the road than my previous michelin LTX's

I will likely go to the Agilis for my pick up truck as it will soon be due

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
New tires on my Chevrolet based 2006 Pleasure Way Lexor TD last week.
running 80/55 pounds for near 9000 pounds

Total cost after rebates $787.01
( another tread has story costco vs discount tire)

initial ambient temps 80/100º

First impressions were not great, more road noise and "slapping" on expansion joints, ride quality comfort just "ok"
( new bilsteins underneath)-
I was bummed from Phoenix to Kingman

Then after the first 700 miles I realized I was no longer focused on the tires

We ran 2800 miles this week and I am HAPPY with this choice

80% interstate, 15% town, a little dirt/gravel

temps range 35º to 100º

tires became more quiet, less slappy on the expansion joints and ride quality improved maybe,
surefooted on grooves and ruts in construction zones

the tread does pick up and hold gravel, which will start spitting out at 40 mph

I hit some standing water at speed on I90 and there was no hydroplaning, In the wet there was less spray kicked up than most other vehicles on the road. this indicates to me that the water is better moved away from the contact patch

These tires feel more grippy and stable on the road than my previous michelin LTX's

I will likely go to the Agilis for my pick up truck as it will soon be due

mike

Great review, thanks for the details.

Kind of as expected from the what you have to where you went perspective.

The LTXs, at least the ones I had on the Buick, did not have great grip. Decent dry, bad wet, horrible on snow. They were also a bit harsh compared the MS2s we have on the van and the Continentals I put on the Buick.

I would expect the Agilis to be similar harshness, but have much better handling and stability based on the construction. Good that they got better ride quality with break in, as that doesn't always happen, but handling improvements usually do by 500 miles or so. Of course the shocks will also soften up a bit in the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if you found the new tires went down 3+ psi as they stretched in early on, so that may have contributed to the ride improvement. Stiffer sidewall tires are often better at a little bit lower pressure than softer ones like Defenders and MS2s.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Last year about this time, I replaced the Firestone Transforce due to side cracking after only 3 years. I got one of the last sets of Michelin Defender LTX M/S before they discontinued that load range. I like them very much, but then, if not for the cracking I was a fan of the Transforce's which were just as good.

My main reason for not going with the Agilis was merely that it was new and there were few reviews. Glad to know they meet your expectations.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I was amazed at how well the Crossclimates performed on snowy/icy roads on my PW 2011 Excel. Granted, lots of weight in the rear, but I never slipped once on some very icy roads
SDDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDavis View Post
I was amazed at how well the Crossclimates performed on snowy/icy roads on my PW 2011 Excel. Granted, lots of weight in the rear, but I never slipped once on some very icy roads
What is ice? But I do know about snow, if only on freak occassions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6466.jpg (269.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I've experienced some of the worst ice storms in Texas exacerbated by spaghetti freeway ramps of which we have few of both in Minnesota. I use to frequently go to Texas in all seasons and weather in my working days since I was the designated registered architect for that state for Target. If you have a Target Store in Texas, I have either designed and managed it; or gone to the city to review the plans, inspected it, or to trouble shoot construction problems. But only prior to 2007.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I've experienced some of the worst ice storms in Texas exacerbated by spaghetti freeway ramps of which we have few of both in Minnesota. I use to frequently go to Texas in all seasons and weather in my working days since I was the designated registered architect for that state for Target. If you have a Target Store in Texas, I have either designed and managed it; or gone to the city to review the plans, inspected it, or to trouble shoot construction problems. But only prior to 2007.
Then you were most certainly involved in the only Corpus Christi Target.

Ice is just almost unheard of here. But, we've had two beautiful 5" snows in th past 15 years. It always melts quickly and is gone in a day or two.

The latest, in my picture, was Dec. 8th, 2017. Just 3 months or so after Hurricane Harvey hit 35 miles North of us.