Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Michelin LTX/MS2 tires

I had new Michelin LTX/MS2 tires installed on my GMC van today. I hadn't driven it since last fall so it was great to be out driving it. I only had a short run on the new tires but it seems like the ride is better and they seem very quiet.

I had an email from Ford about a week ago that said something like they wouldn't be undersold on tires. So I called for a quote for 4 Michelin LTX/MS2 installed and the price was better than other quotes I had. That offer might be in Canada only, I don't know.

Additionally, there is a $70 Michelin mail in rebate offer on now so the total cost to me ends up being CDN $995.00 - I think that is pretty good. I live in a small town and it is nice to deal with a shop that is 5 minutes drive away. The four other quotes were all $1,200+ (another local tire shop, Canadian Tire, dealer in Maine, Walmart in Maine).

Michelin LTX® M/S2 - LT245/75R16/E 120/116R

The old tires were what came with the van 15yrs ago! They didn't look bad but I was worried about our safety when I discovered how old they were last fall. See the Tire DOT Code post here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=1922

Booster went with 265's on his Roadtrek for increased capacity. More info here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...ichelin#p10612
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Michelin LTX/MS2 tires

We also just put the LTX/MS2 tires on our 07 Roadtrek C190P. As mentioned in the tire offset thread, we went up a couple sizes to 265-75-16. We have about 200 miles of testing on them and noticed the same as you. Smoother ride and very quiet. Because of the larger size, we ran our pressure lower so that could be some of the comfort factor, though. I could tell the tires are not as stiff as the V-steel Bridgestones that they replaced, as the steering felt a bit "softer". We will be experimenting with pressures to see what the best combination of comfort and handling is. As with most tires, the handling will probably get a bit better as they wear in over the first 5K miles, so we will know more then.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Michelin LTX/MS2 tires

I did the Michelin AT2s a few years ago now, in San Angelo, TX at the Discount Tire there, after
corresponding about availability by store with their head office marketing and technical guys.
They said most Texas locations would have them in stock as they were a light truck tire, and
Texas is the land of light trucks. They were right on both counts.
I paid around $800 for 4 installed and balanced, but didn't take any of the extended care stuff.
They also had a $70 Michelin mail-in rebate (they took care of it at the store) and a few weeks
after I got home I received my rebate in the mail. I see they've gone up a few bucks and are $200
each it looks like now. Their OTD price for 4 is $935 now. You could run them through some other
states and price them at lower state taxes if you really wanted to save a few more bucks. Texas
is 8.25% - not sure if that is a new tax rate, but it seems kind of high. I have no affiliation with
Discount Tire, but would recommend them to anyone looking for new tires, at reasonable prices,
with great service. YMMV.

As luck would have it, the new F150 has the same Michelin AT2 tires on it. Slightly greater tread depth
(1/16" more?) than the MS2s was one reason I went with the AT2 models. And the have a distinct tread
pattern along the outer tread edge, that is decidedly more aggressive than most other standard
radial tires. I figured I might need the extra tread depth and the "grippier" tread edges in the snow
and mud we get up here in Eskimo country.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/ ... 1&pc=35372
http://www.discounttire.com/infomicheli ... txat2.html

There was one review on their website which was less than flattering, but I haven't had any of the
issues the reviewer mentioned.