Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Michigan resevation change, may be good

This is a screenprint of an email I just got from Michigan camping reservations. I haven't checked it out in detail so don't know how it works or how useful, but this is one thing that I have been waiting to see someone put in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Michigan.JPG (198.1 KB, 117 views)
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I just went in a took a look at it by trying to reserve labor day weekend for a park I know is full.

You have already put in the park, equipment, and days and the screen that shows all the sites status, which is non available for those days, you just hit the notify me button and on the popup confirm the information. You will then get an email if anything opens up that fits your information.

I hope everywhere does this as it is just what many people need.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Booster, That's a nifty new feature of Michigan State Park's reservation software, essentially creates a wait list for reservations. Will you let us know if/when you successfully use it?
Old 08-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Booster, That's a nifty new feature of Michigan State Park's reservation software, essentially creates a wait list for reservations. Will you let us know if/when you successfully use it?

I certainly will, but we have a couple of favorite place in Michigan that we use for our after Labor day trip every year so would have reservations early, so might not be for a while on a longer exploratory trip.

Hopefully, someone here will be able to give it a try. Would be perfect for retired locals to grab a quick getaway in prime parks, possibly.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
. . but we have a couple of favorite place in Michigan that we use for our after Labor day trip every year . . .
Booster, what are your favorite Michigan sites?
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Booster, what are your favorite Michigan sites?

We go to the Keewatin peninsula in the UP nearly every year and stay for the week after labor day in Fort Wilkens state park east campground. That is very much our favorite Michigan place. That time of year, and that campground just seem the right thing that time of year for us and we don't get tired of it. Not a lot of great sites there, though, as many are low lying or unlevel. In reserve sites we try to get 74, to be sure to have a good one, but when we get there we will get set up to change to drive up site 76 if it is open or opens while we are there, as it is our favorite one. Last year we cancelled due to Covid, and this year the east campground is closed to replace the water system, so we will be going to a relatively new, very small, private campground in laq labelle on the other side of the peninsula. We usually go home in a one day drive as it doesn't matter if we get home in the latter afternoon and it is easy to get out early besides, if we want to.

One the way up we usually stay one night in Lake Gogebic state park as a drive up in site 73 as it is easy in and out for a night and level. Shortens the first day drive so we don't waste a day in Fort Wilkens by getting there in the late afternoon. We have done more and more of the short first day drives lately as it allows us to not have to rush to bundle up the house and get out by 6am.

We haven't stayed in the lower Michigan state parks much, but when passing through have gone to Sand Dune and it was very interesting.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Team

We LOVE Ft. Wilkins. It is the perfect jumping-off-place for a trip to Isle Royale NP. (You can leave your rig in the ferry parking lot.)

If you find yourself in Copper Harbor, don't miss a dinner at the Harbor Haus -- a remarkably good German restaurant in a most improbable location.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Back to the original topic:
If a cancellation occurs, I assume that they will notify everyone on the list. If this mechanism becomes popular, I fear we may quickly be right back to where we started--hovering at the computer in an attempt to grab a freed-up slot before it is instantly gone.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Back to the original topic:
If a cancellation occurs, I assume that they will notify everyone on the list. If this mechanism becomes popular, I fear we may quickly be right back to where we started--hovering at the computer in an attempt to grab a freed-up slot before it is instantly gone.

Yeah, I thought of that, too. The devil is in the details which they did not state, so we just don't know.

I would hope, but it might not happen on the first renditions of it, that they would do an email or text notification of people either in order of getting on the list, or probably even better for those that can't plan far ahead, a random generated lottery type order. If the notifications went out consecutively with like a 30 minute window or such to respond it might work. Since it is not site specific, just park, if text you could simply do a yes/no reply with hopefully a day to go in and give your information later. Totally uncharted territory, I think, but at least they are trying so I give them credit for that.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We go to the Keewatin peninsula in the UP nearly every year . . .

We haven't stayed in the lower Michigan state parks much, but when passing through have gone to Sand Dune and it was very interesting.
Thanks for the info. We currently have no plans for the post Labor Day weekend . . . maybe we'll venture back into the UP and say hello.

We're down in the "LowerP" just south of Silver Lake State Park and Sand Dunes. Both Silver Lake and Ludington State Parks are well worth the trip and stay, way above average, but we, of course, are banned . . . you know, the reservation system! :~)
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Both Silver Lake and Ludington State Parks are well worth the trip and stay, way above average, but we, of course, are banned . . . you know, the reservation system! :~)

We are "lucky" in one respect in that we have two trips a year that are generally very predictable ahead of time so we can reserve early. Custer State Park in South Dakota opens reservations a year ahead and we reserved next year while we were still there this year. Sad for many campers that it has come to this though. That is why I hope Michigan sets it up so that it not only is more convenient but also addresses the fairness issues we have talked about quite a bit in the past on here.