Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Mini Go 4x6 trailer v. Rollaway 2

After taking a few two-week trips in my Travato, we have learned to pack all we need in the van, however, were contemplating going on a lot longer journey next spring for several months and we will have to bring along our two pet cats. With their gear and other items we need to bring for longer trips, we are trying to decide if we should get a small trailer, and deal with pulling it and all that entails but getting a lot more storage then we will probably need or getting a Stowaway 2 hitch mounted box and keeping our rig small and more nimble. I was also considering a roof top mounted Thule but roof mounting will interfere with at least one of our solar panels.

I've really wanted to add a spare tire and bring bikes, however, if we go with the Stowaway option I won't have a good way to mount a spare (I'm considering a hitch mounted swing away type tire holder). If I get the trailer, I can put a spare tire, bikes and items that my pets will require freeing up space in the van itself.

I know the adage, if it doesn't fit in the van it doesn't go, and I agree with that but it would be nice to have more storage for a longer trek.

Any helpful words of advice from your experiences?
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I tow a Smart Car behind my 24' MH and installed a folding tongue jack with wheel to the tow bar. It may look funny but when I disconnect I can move the car with the tow bar attached. You should not notice any difference in MPG and can take all your toys plus more. Just make sure you have high sides on the trailer so items do not fall out.
You can consider renting a small trailer from U-Haul for the trip.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We had a small trailer pulled by VW Westfalia in eighties, 2 large aluminum truck boxes on the campers, stowaway-2 hitch container and now a rear ladder.

- Trailer was good for carrying camping cargo and bicycles but not good for parking. It was great to have all camping gear packed in one place ready to be attached. Hooking was easier than attaching a hitch cargo box.

- Aluminum boxes on the truck campers were good, similar arrangement could be done with rear van doors with smaller boxes. All pluses, don’t recall any negatives. See the picture.

- Stowaway, good for storing and parking but opening rear doors required the box to be out the way, fortunately swinging was reasonably simple. Attaching the box required it to be empty. In a garage it takes almost as much room as a small clam trailer but emptying was necessary for attaching. Attaching was more cumbersome than hooking a loaded trailer. We sold it recently.

- On our previous RVs we had good experience with ladders so we recently decided to go this route. Its primarily use is for carrying chairs, barbeque, small miscellanies items in the box. Easy removal or attaching of our small Magma barbeque. It can be use for grilling while attached. It takes seconds to attach chairs. Sprinter proximity sensors work, rear doors can be opened anytime, and it is a ladder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR_0994 (2).JPG (357.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg GRE10125.JPG (367.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg GZR02212.JPG (366.1 KB, 37 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

With a trailer you will pay more for tolls, often painfully more. It's based on the number of axles, not size or weight, and it's usually not linear. When your toll doubles because of that small utility trailer, you may have second thoughts!

You will also have a harder time finding a parking space and maneuvering in and out of tight parking lots. Backing a small trailer with a large, long wheelbase vehicle is tricky, even with help from a rear camera. Everything takes just a little longer when you're pulling a trailer.

I have no idea how your Travato is set up, but I can fit the spare for our RT Popular under the rear bed, freeing up the back for a large cargo box or trailer if desired. You're giving up storage for storage, so the net gain may be small. Upside is a surprising amount of space remains inside and around the spare for smaller items, just not bulky stuff. Without being certain of the exact model (I googled "Rollaway 2" and didn't get an exact match), consider whether it will prevent the rear doors from opening.

Tough decision!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:42 AM   #5
Platinum Member

GeorgeRa: Interesting. I like it. Some questions:

How do you attach chairs, etc. to ladder.
Do you also have roof storage that the ladder helps you access?
Have you attached bikes to the ladder?
Finally, who's the maker on the ladder.

thx.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:06 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
GeorgeRa: Interesting. I like it. Some questions:

How do you attach chairs, etc. to ladder.
Do you also have roof storage that the ladder helps you access?
Have you attached bikes to the ladder?
Finally, who's the maker on the ladder.

thx.glenn
No roof storage, 300W of solar and Maxxair fan only.

For the grill I built a 1” 80/20 aluminum subframe permanently attached and mount with snap latches. Love it, takes seconds to deploy for grilling or to move it back for travel.
http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f6...rack-8953.html

I use these chair /bike holders
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With these straps
https://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-RO...web_3022035011

Different bike holders
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+l...=2560&bih=1248
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

One of the best features of my van are my Aluminess deluxe boxes and the two 1UpUSA bike racks on top of them. I can carry a surprising amount of extra gear in the big boxes (including 2 inflatable kayaks at times). They swing away nicely for rear door access. They weren’t cheap but are worth every penny to me. One of the boxes can be replaced with a spare tire. I even have a thin 2 gallon spare diesel can mounted in the frame for the boxes.

https://www.aluminess.com/bike-rack-swing-arm-4/
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply.
Is it possible for you to attach a picture of your set up to the thread?
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks GeorgeRa!
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Chris,
I've got a 2015 Roadtrek 190P. I'm 1 month into a 4+ month journey.. Just added a stowaway 2. I have my rear tire in the "standard" continental tire carrier on the back. Stowaway shipped me a 7" extension and everyting worked great... It would also work with an Aluminess swing out tire carrier..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayden View Post
After taking a few two-week trips in my Travato, we have learned to pack all we need in the van, however, were contemplating going on a lot longer journey next spring for several months and we will have to bring along our two pet cats. With their gear and other items we need to bring for longer trips, we are trying to decide if we should get a small trailer, and deal with pulling it and all that entails but getting a lot more storage then we will probably need or getting a Stowaway 2 hitch mounted box and keeping our rig small and more nimble. I was also considering a roof top mounted Thule but roof mounting will interfere with at least one of our solar panels.

I've really wanted to add a spare tire and bring bikes, however, if we go with the Stowaway option I won't have a good way to mount a spare (I'm considering a hitch mounted swing away type tire holder). If I get the trailer, I can put a spare tire, bikes and items that my pets will require freeing up space in the van itself.

I know the adage, if it doesn't fit in the van it doesn't go, and I agree with that but it would be nice to have more storage for a longer trek.

Any helpful words of advice from your experiences?
We have an Easy Go by SylvanSport and it works great. 350#’s empty. Carries everything I could think of so the cabin stays clutter free. Have been on 2 week trips and never had an issue whether going through metro areas or small towns. We enclosed the sides and top for better weather protection and privacy. Works great!
Kdbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #12

Owen and Lynn Poteat installed a Thule Cargo Box on their roof after moving a solar panel to a position just above the AC unit. They covered some of the details on their YouTube Chanel, Van Trekking Lifestyle - the specific video is here:

Another video shows the relo of the solar panel to allow them installation of a cargo basket (which was replaced later by the Thule)
that video is here

In a later video they also address the impact to their fuel economy. I don't recall the exact impact but if you message them they're good about responding.
rmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 AM   #13
Platinum Member

We have a lets-go-areo gearspace 34 see https://letsgoaero.com/ that we carry 2 bikes plus the camp chairs, camp table, extra solar panel, helmets, axe, shovel, and other misc gear that we don’t need or want in the van. It is great and doesn’t really affect gas mileage. You may want to consider this option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 037F2AD3-F597-4A29-9838-3D967DA6871C.jpg (252.8 KB, 8 views)
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
Bronze Member

We tow a small 4 X 4 clamshell made from a large roof top carrier. It is hard to backup and it costs more in tolls but when you go out west in June, you will be glad to have it to carry coats and bottled water and a grill and it holds my campsite for me. That alone makes it worthwhile. It can be removed easily so be sure to carry a way to lock the hitch. I don't back it into the campsite. I just unhook it and push it back into the site. No change in gas mileage either like a roof top carrier would do. Also carries a small roller jack and 12v. compressor and 2 large plastic totes for extra stuff. Can't see it in your mirrors so be aware when trying to back up.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote