Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Default Minnesota in winter

Traveling and staying in Minnesota in the winter can be dangerous but stimulating. The dangerous part is leaving on the slippery roads and the stimulating part is looking forward to warmer weather.

Nothing like waking up to a brisk northern morning. Standing in the snow with a hot cup of coffee and wishing you were in Texas.
Richman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Yeah, high of 48 in the Twin Cities and no snow at all yet this winter this December 1st.

We finally solved our winter-over needs with a heated 18' x 45' condo garage. We have been taking about two winter trips a year, one up to Grand Marais, MN and one Tahquamenon Falls SP in the UP for Mike Wendland's winter freeze-out gathering, but this year our January and part of February will be in Australia and New Zealand. Then we might go to Texas in late winter. South Padre Island has been our destination a couple of times.

Our "backyard" campground (Carver County Regional Park Reserve) is closed for the winter.

Camping near our home
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Non slippery weather is only a one day drive away (maybe 600 miles or so from Minneapolis), so if you watch the weather between Minnesota and Arkansas, you can find a day that will be OK without slippery, slot, or salt to get to the coveted warm weather with less danger or van corrosion. Another day and you can be on the beach in Texas! Of course, you need to have a bit of a flexible leave date to make this work.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Minnesota in winter

I love Minnesota, was born and raised there and still get back at least once a year. But when I left after college to join the Navy I never wanted to live there again. Too many fishing trips on the ice with my dad in my youth. December is often easy. The bad parts are late Jan and Feb. I made a trip back a few years ago in February. It never got above zero F for the whole week I was there.

Even Maryland is now too cold for me all winter. Heading to Florida in Feb next year.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream