Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2023, 07:18 PM   #1

Default Model list to explore with young family

Hi all,

Brand new here and to the world of classB's. My wife and I have 2 young kids, both in car seats and one in rear-facing.

I asked her if she wanted a hot tub to staycation or an RV to make it possible to travel with the kids, and she chose the RV.

I don't have 100 grand to dump on it, so i'm trying to find a used model. That's hard to search on when all the searches return 2024 models.
ideally, i'd like to be in the 25-45k price point, but recognize that i may be priced out.

I'm trying to find an RV that is highly drivable and functions well as a driver vehicle, so i think class B is where i want to be. C and A are just too big and not what we need. We will be outside 95% of the time we aren't sleeping.

I intend to cook outside most of the time. An outdoor kitchen would be nice, but i understand few if any class B's have outdoor amenities like the C's and 5th wheels do. I'm thinking a portable coleman 2 burner unit will suffice for outdoor cooking on a folding table. So, a kitchen is not a large

One of the places we plan to go requires 4wd. Well, to be clear, 4 tires that drive. So, 2wd dual axel counts.
So, i need a 4x4 or a drw setup.

I'm 6', so i think i high roof is a must.

Full bath would be ideal, but not opposed to a wet bath.

Will be off grid with no hookups (beach) so want solar to be the main power source instead of gas. I don't want to run a genny if i can get away with it. I'd rather put out additional panels and grab another bank of LiOns to run the a/c. My guess is that i'd need it for an hour or 2 to cool off around sunset and then it will be pretty tolerable to run here and there.

won't use it in the winter up here in new England, so i'm not concerned about heaters.

Seatbelts for 4. forward facing seats (no sideways seating in dinettes for the kids 100% #1 requirement.

1 queen-ish for us, and 2 bunks for the kids would be ideal. not sure how all this fits in a class B. 4 twins in dual bank bunks might be an option. My wife will hate it but she can deal with it for a few days at a time sleeping alone.

So, to sum up.
  • Used
  • 4x4/AWD or DRW
  • High-roof
  • Seats and Seatbelts for 4, forward facing
  • Full bath preferred
  • kitchen, optional
  • don't care about anything like tvs, fireplaces, other modern 'fluff'.
  • Solar-first 12v (instead of generator or shore power) design
  • 1 adult bed, 2 kids beds/bunks
  • price under 50k

Anyone have any ideas on models to research with those criteria?

brianc43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There should be an automatic reply to new posts like this. Spend a little money and rent a Class B for a couple days (RV Share, etc.). That will be the best money you will ever spend.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:31 AM   #3

Thank you, but that's not at all helpful.

I was hoping to hear things like "I have 2 kids and we used xyz model, check it out".
Old 06-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have no idea how a young family with 4 rapidly growing kids could manage in a Class B when you need seating for 4, beds for 4, a full bath, 4WD, etc.. Ours is often a challenge for two of us. I wouldn't have the slightest idea which models could accommodate those needs but I am not familiar with some of the longest and largest Class B's especially older models that would be anywhere near $25-45k. I suspect that 1-2 days with some kind of rental unit would change your thinking entirely about Class B's and might save you a lot of money. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I have no idea how a young family with 4 rapidly growing kids could manage in a Class B when you need seating for 4, beds for 4, a full bath, 4WD, etc.. Ours is often a challenge for two of us. I wouldn't have the slightest idea which models could accommodate those needs but I am not familiar with some of the longest and largest Class B's especially older models that would be anywhere near $25-45k. I suspect that 1-2 days with some kind of rental unit would change your thinking entirely about Class B's and might save you a lot of money. Good luck.
Totally agree. OP's requirements are not reasonable. There is nothing that fulfills all those requirements. Even if there are only 2 kids, good luck finding something cheap with 4WD and all that space while being small.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Last Century we had 2 VW Westfalias 1977/85. Both had sinks, fridges, and heaters. Shower in a campervan with a family of 4 are mutually exclusive in my opinion.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:15 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I remember that it was kind of shocking for us too when we first started designing our Class B so I can appreciate the OP's confusion. The space in a cargo van is only between 10-15 feet long (ours is 10 feet so it would fit in a single parking space). A queen bed alone is 6 1/2 feet. That leaves 3 1/2 feet for everything else. A second row of seating for kids would be at least 4 feet. The math becomes obvious pretty fast. Luckily the OP decided he doesn't need a fireplace so that will help.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #8
Platinum Member

jrobe is absolutely correct. OP, you are not calibrated as to the space limitations, trade-offs of a ClassB. You will not even find a rental that checks all your boxes.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I have a small (25') class C 2017 Winnebago Trend for sale. $67K. Can sleep 4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017 23D Trend.JPG (1.18 MB, 11 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #10

I don't think my ask/needs are unreasonable. It just seems that most designs focus on things i don't want, like a kitchen, tvs, couches, indoor hangout space. I don't envision using it like that at all. I envision using it as transportation, sleeping quarters, and a bathroom. I don't really need living quarters.
on a 177wb, i don't see why it can't be done.
144, sure, too short.

Vandoit comes the closest, but it's very expensive and too new to find on the used market. Lacking 177 length models and the shower as well.

Here's what's in my head:

i can't seem to use attachments yet...

https://imgur.com/erBeaPK

I probably missing a lot of things, like a fridge. I'm sure there's better designs than what i can whip up in paint.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc43 View Post
I don't think my ask/needs are unreasonable. It just seems that most designs focus on things i don't want, like a kitchen, tvs, couches, indoor hangout space. I don't envision using it like that at all. I envision using it as transportation, sleeping quarters, and a bathroom. I don't really need living quarters.
on a 177wb, i don't see why it can't be done.
144, sure, too short. I probably missing a lot of things, like a fridge. I'm sure there's better designs than what i can whip up in paint.
I'm sure some custom upfitter could make what you want but probably not within your price limitations. Looks like what you want is a driving/sleeping/bathroom van. Not sure any Bs have the kind of bath/shower you want. Thought: you could buy an existing used RV and remove the kitchen part yourself. You would lose the cooktop (which you don't want anyways) and the sink (where you could use the bath sink for H/C water and some dish washing). I completely wash body/hair every day in the small RV bath. And many of the national/state campgrounds I've been in have showers; some very nice. After removing the kitchen unit, you could fashion a small bed in its place leaving the spot under the bed for storage or perhaps a slide out chest fridge/freezer. Some RV manufacturers (PleasureWay) sell a product that goes between the turned front seats to make a bed. Most this work you could do yourself.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

If you are willing to do some work (including CAD) and subcontract some I think it is feasible:
1. Get a passenger van
2. Sell back seats, only need a second row
3. Design sleeping module for adults and 2 bunk beds in 80/20
4. Design shower module with cassette toilet in 80/20
5. Design all necessary walls in HDPE
6. Order precut profiles from 80/20 factory
7. CNC HDPE
8. Assemble all modules and bolt them to the floor.
9. Sub water tanks (grey and fresh)
10. Sub plumbing and hot water heater (LPG Malaga)
11. Sub electrical

Happy travelling.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:23 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Safari Condo XL Flex on the Promaster, Transit, or Sprinter chassis with 2 queen beds in the rear (the upper one being height adjustable) satisfies the majority of your wants except the price. We’ve had our Promaster version for 7 years/100k miles. Extremely well made.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:51 PM   #14

Although not in your price range, the Hymer Aktiv 1.0 can work for a family of 4. there are a few options for the kids sleeping areas. The bath is a wet bath which is very efficient space wise. Many of us owners love the cassette toilet system for black water - it can be dumped in any toilet, portapotty, etc. Check out the FB group Hymer Aktiv Owners and Wannabees. At least it will show you what can be done in a 20' Ram Promaster.
CMFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:55 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc43 View Post
I don't think my ask/needs are unreasonable.

Your budget is your biggest obstacle. Unless you can do the work yourself (which would be a good project), you will probably need to start with a $10-15,000 (probably even cheaper) extended length van to stay within your budget. Then the question would be, is it even worth sticking money like that into a pretty old van.

I think my first goal would be to increase my budget significantly, probably by 2-3 times.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:54 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Default Model list for family

These 2 class B vans come to mind.
A vintage Roadtrek versatile & a Travato 59G.
Both vans seat 4 & sleep 4. Both have toilet & wet shower.
I have the Roadtrek Versatile. I have 4 captain chairs & seat belts. Roadtrek no longer makes the Versatile model. I have a 2001.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:46 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Look at the rental for sale market?

This is the van we owned when we had 2 young children. Seats 4, all facing forward, and sleeps 4. That combination is hard to find. These were originally built to serve the rental market, ie, clients fly in from Europe and want to tour the US for a week. The furnace controls were labeled in German, for the German tourists - LOL.

Not luxurious, but we saw that as a good thing. With 2 little kids, camping in the woods means you're looking at mud, sand, and campfire smoke. I could literally hose it out when we got home - perfect!

Only thing is it was on a Dodge platform and it drove and rode like an old logging truck. Rough and noisy. And the visibility from the older Dodge vans is terrible. Why they made those windows so small I'll never know. So if you look for one, try and go with a Ford platform.

BTW, the "rent before you buy" idea sounds good, but in reality you will have to camp not a few times, but for a few YEARS before you figure out what's important and what isn't. Better idea is to just get something inexpensive to start with and do a lot of camping. With some experience, you will eventually sort things out.

Buyer's tip: just like cars, the glitzy so-called "upgrades" you see loaded on these vehicles are just there to sell units and, in the field, aren't needed or even valuable. Light and simple is the best way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 004.jpg (188.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg pic 005.jpg (163.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg pic 008.jpg (132.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg pic 009.jpg (156.5 KB, 10 views)
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #18
Platinum Member

You could build your own Class B as GeorgeA mentioned. Your suggested design and more can be accomplished like this video of fold out bunk beds and fold out back sofa that turns into a bed. The back sofa with seat belts kids or adults could ride in the back. This is just a suggestion. You cannot afford this van on your budget unless you build it yourself because I don't know if there is another commercial Class B like it new or used.

Your suggested plan had two single beds and a second row bench seat. I'm not sure where the two kids would sleep and it kills a lot of space for other amenities you don't think you need. You need more storage space for two additional kids in a van.

We traveled with two children from Newport, RI to Minnesota in a 1968 passenger window van converted for camping with a mattress on the floor in 1970 when I got out of the Navy before I knew what a Class B was.

Much later in 2012 we took another trip with our son and Grandsons on fold out back sofa. Great West Van had three seat belts and you could put in child seats. This was a 1,000 mile trip with a tent for them to sleep in since we had no extra beds like an upper bunk. They didn't want to do it again.

If you think you can get by without maxing out storage, amenities and good beds, then you might be making a trip from hell each time. With my experience, I would consider a Class C or trailer. There are many with better solutions that sleep and carry four, and less expensive with your budget. You don't gain much with a 24 ft. Class B over a Class C anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Peter Johah Eil Backseat GWVan.jpeg (95.6 KB, 1 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 03:39 PM   #19
Platinum Member

It hasn't been mentioned, unless I missed it, but 4wd/awd/drl will certainly make any combo orders of magnitude tougher to find in the used market.

I also don't understand the 4 driven tires comment by the OP as there really is no such thing in use on the street in general unless you consider an open differential axle as having two driven wheels, which is not really how it works.

A "normal" 4wd vehicle would have an open differential axle on each end and each axle would have only one driven wheel if on a non uniform slippery surface. One wheel spins one is stationery. Total of two driven wheels on that scenario.

Many awd drive units limit power to which ever end is slipping so if the rear is on slippery you will get little help from it and the front will have one wheel turning most likely.

Better awd drive with dynamic traction control can come very close to 4 driven wheels as they will apply braking to whatever wheels are spinning faster than the others so all the wheels will be turning but some will have less traction depending on the surface.

You can get rear wheel drive vehicles that have a limited slip rear axle to tie the wheels together if one starts the spin so you get two driven wheels spinning at the same time. They can be treacherous to drive on icy conditions as they tend to make the rear end slide out very, very easily and spin you.

Technically, a rear drive, dual rear wheel vehicle with a locking or limited slip rear axle will be able to have 4 driven wheels as it will work just like the two rear wheel limited slip above. The big issue is that from all I have seen and heard is that dual rear wheels don't get better traction on anything except dry good traction surfaces, compared to singer rear wheels. They are very poor in soft, wet, loose, surfaces as they tend to not dig in well and get grip. Duals are usually to get more load capacity, not traction.

The best system is to have a normal 4wd drive system with lockable differentials on each end. You would have the same two driven wheels, on on each end, nearly all the time so safer on slippery surfaces, but you could lock one or both differentials to have 3 or 4 fully driven wheels if you get stuck, so you can get out better. You cannot drive on any good traction surfaces with the differentials locked as you will break things, though, so you have to turn them back off every time after use.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 03:59 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Default VW Westfalia

We moved from years ofcamping to a VW Westphalia with our two , at the time, young children. We took many weekend trips trips and longer for 15 years with this vehicle. Arounf Lake superior, Cabot Trail, through atlantic provinces and states. The pop top allowed kids to sleep separeate from parents.
Closest new build on the market is Safari Condo and Pleasure way pop top.
We added an awning to be able to eat and cook outside.
Good luck , half the fun is learning your vehicle and what works for you.

Mike Bee
'97 RT 17
formerly 89 VW Westphalia
Mike Bee is offline   Reply With Quote