Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: MOTORCYCLES - who does?

Ric, get yourself east a few hundred miles and take advantage of the Texas heat.
Amarillo looks toasty warm from here.....
http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_temp_na.gif

On the other hand watch out for the tornadoes. Not so good.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Thanks for the HOT Tip, Mike. I've been to Amarillo - it Smells like stockyards!
Supposed to be back in 70's by Tuesday here. We have M/C races in Phoenix next weekend.
It'll be HOT then & dusty too...
Regards, Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Phoenix is hot all the time, isn't it? And dusty?
Amarillo is a nice via point on the way to almost everywhere south and west from where we are.
Never noticed the smell. That worries me.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Phoenix is hot all the time, isn't it? And dusty?
Amarillo is a nice via point on the way to almost everywhere south and west from where we are.
Never noticed the smell. That worries me.
Mike; I guess it's all a matter of perspective - Where you're coming from vs. where you are going , or trying to get to! I've always said that we should all live in Texas, then Every Place else would seem like Paradise - Comparatively, (HaHa). Sorry Tex. just MHO! But then I've always lived in really "Cool" places... And Phx is actually pretty nice This Time of Year.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #25
Bronze Member

I'm keeping an eye out for the ideal bike as an RV companion, that would be used for "exploring" the local area, unused rail beds, unmade roads, and running to pick up milk sort of usage...

Well I KNOW the ideal bike, Honda CT90 or CT110... but they've become a little on the collectable side, so prices for a good one that is currently road legal are a bit silly. There's fixer uppers around and a lot that are used as farm and off road bikes, but Ontario's rules for bike rebuilds/inspection after insurance claim etc have gotten highly ridiculous, meant to reduce theft or something, but basically it means that a bike is scrap after any recorded loss, even if it was before current rules came in. So until you try and get the thing road legal again, you don't know whether it's possible, so if it's been a farm bike, even well cared for, for a while, and had a claim on fully comp insurance due to having it's seat slashed back in 1990, you might go to try and license it and be SOL, that VIN/frame is poison, now marked IRREPARABLE, which may not show on the latest old "ownership" that the seller has, if even he has that and you don't have to just get a bill of sale....

Anyway, the upshot of that is, it's a crapshoot to buy any bike that's not currently licensed, no matter how handy you are, it could be pointless if you want it on the road. Makes used bike buying a minefield when you're after something older. There might be CT90s or CT110s "out there", but they're not very common and for various reasons, only about 1 in 10 is currently licensed. Half of them might be fine, how do you tell which half? Buy it and try and license it....

So, I'm looking for a "modern" alternative, although they have been recently produced somewhere in the world, they haven't been sold new in Ontario in a while I think. Wondering if anyone knows of a street legal equivalent in some of the cheap import bikes that have been turning up lately. Equivalent would be, under 200lb, trail capable, good on gas, road legal.

Thanks for any ideas,

Flashman.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Greetings FLASH, glad to see you check into this thread. I've read some of your other posts - very thoughtful. The question of an RV friendly small moto is an on going one with me & lots of others.
I'm not familiar with all the models sold in Canada, but there have been some interesting ones that we didn't get here in the 'States'. Your idea about Honda CT models is good if you can find a good one, reasonable & able to register in Ontario. They haven't been sold here for sometime (80s I think). So the good ones command quite a price - $1200 to over $2k(Us$) in some cases.
If you do find one, try to get a CT90 with HiLo trans. & folding handle bars.
I'm not sure what Chinese imports are coming across, but I'd be Careful with those!
If you plan to carry on back with a receiver hitch M/C carrier you could go with 125cc up to 250cc and still stay below 300 lbs. I'd look for Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki - 4 stroke, street legal from factory.
I have a Suzuki DR350 that weighs in at 300 lbs with gas, it is a great dual purpose (on & off road) but a little heavy for me to load & unload by self.
Good luck with your search & let us know what you come up with.
Regards, Ric. in Arizona
Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman
I'm keeping an eye out for the ideal bike as an RV companion, that would be used for "exploring" the local area, unused rail beds, unmade roads, and running to pick up milk sort of usage...

Well I KNOW the ideal bike, Honda CT90 or CT110... but they've become a little on the collectable side, so prices for a good one that is currently road legal are a bit silly. There's fixer uppers around and a lot that are used as farm and off road bikes, but Ontario's rules for bike rebuilds/inspection after insurance claim etc have gotten highly ridiculous, meant to reduce theft or something, but basically it means that a bike is scrap after any recorded loss, even if it was before current rules came in. So until you try and get the thing road legal again, you don't know whether it's possible, so if it's been a farm bike, even well cared for, for a while, and had a claim on fully comp insurance due to having it's seat slashed back in 1990, you might go to try and license it and be SOL, that VIN/frame is poison, now marked IRREPARABLE, which may not show on the latest old "ownership" that the seller has, if even he has that and you don't have to just get a bill of sale....

Anyway, the upshot of that is, it's a crapshoot to buy any bike that's not currently licensed, no matter how handy you are, it could be pointless if you want it on the road. Makes used bike buying a minefield when you're after something older. There might be CT90s or CT110s "out there", but they're not very common and for various reasons, only about 1 in 10 is currently licensed. Half of them might be fine, how do you tell which half? Buy it and try and license it....

So, I'm looking for a "modern" alternative, although they have been recently produced somewhere in the world, they haven't been sold new in Ontario in a while I think. Wondering if anyone knows of a street legal equivalent in some of the cheap import bikes that have been turning up lately. Equivalent would be, under 200lb, trail capable, good on gas, road legal.

Thanks for any ideas,

Flashman.
Q1: Wouldn't the seller (in Ontario) have to provide you with a current UVIP prior to you buying
that "fixer upper"? You would know what it's legal status is from that, or are motorcycles different?
A1: What about an e-bike of some sort as a "modern alternative"? I don't know all that much about
them, but if you want lightweight, good for short range forays, and inexpensive to buy, and recharge, might that work? If you just want to explore the area near where you're camped or to get groceries?
I think the current requirements are minimum age 16, and wear a CSA approved helmet. They don't
need a license plate or insurance (yet?) as far as I know.
Might be some useful info here.....
http://www.ebikes.ca/
http://www.mobilityunlimited.ca/
http://www.daymak.com/
http://www.blueavenue.ca/
http://www.raylight.ca/dealers.htm
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... -faq.shtml <<< MTO FAQ
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
Platinum Member

COOL - Or, how about a gas powered Bicycle with a 50cc motor. Light weight & no Lic. or registration or insurance required in 'States'.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist
COOL - Or, how about a gas powered Bicycle with a 50cc motor. Light weight & no Lic. or registration or insurance required in 'States'.
Unfortunately, we have the "equivalent to motorcycle" rules regarding these little fellas in Ontario.
See the rules for legal operation for the first 2 types of "new and alternative vehicles".

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... l#electric

We now call them "limited-speed motorcycles" and "motor-assisted bicycles", and true to form, our
politicians have legislated the fun and simplicity out of them, because of the infrequent mistakes
of a few. Thanks Ontario government.

They might be less regulated in other provinces, but I wouldn't know.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Man, the more I hear/read - I am glad/happy I live in S/W U.S.A. where "Conservatives" are Liberal instead of Canada where 'Liberals" are Conservative!?? R.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Here is the Ideal RV friendly M/C.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782561

Way better than the CT Hondas, but still a Honda, light wt. & now collectible too.
This one is priced about right for condition & very low miles. I know they sold in Canada - maybe
even more than US?! ? Check it out. I'd buy if it was closer to AZ.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is the Ideal RV friendly M/C.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782561

Way better than the CT Hondas, but still a Honda, light wt. & now collectible too.
This one is priced about right for condition & very low miles. I know they sold in Canada - maybe
even more than US?! ? Check it out. I'd buy if it was closer to AZ.
Can't access the advrider.com link, says I need to "log in" to see it.
Oooops?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Man, the more I hear/read - I am glad/happy I live in S/W U.S.A. where "Conservatives" are Liberal instead of Canada where 'Liberals" are Conservative!?? R.
That just about nails it, Ric.
The true north "nanny-country" is located just north of the 49th parallel.
Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba and some of the territories might be less "bubble wrapped" than
where I live, but I can't say for sure. Alberta seems pretty libertarian, from what I read online and
see on TV and saw briefly last year when we stopped there for a day/night/day.
I'm just so sick and tired of some elected pinheads telling me how I should live my life.
Like they know better than I or anyone else does.
That's not freedom, friends.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Hmm - maybe try to go thru GOOGLE. Then look for Bikes For Sale.
I'll work with it tomorrow :>)
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #35
Platinum Member

This is what I get when I click the link. Probably some areas of advrider.com are members only pages.
Attached Images
File Type: png ADVrider.png (262.9 KB, 1151 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Mike wrote: "This is what I get when I click the link. Probably some areas of advrider.com are members only pages."

Quote:
Hmm - maybe try to go thru GOOGLE. Then look for Bikes For Sale.
I'll work with it tomorrow :>)
I thought I could get in thru. Google, but can't seem to by-pass my registration. They used to allow "lurkers" like this site.
And I'm sure there is a way. I'll try to 'cut & paste' the add here for All to peruse & enjoy:
1986 Honda TLR200 Reflex- 375 original miles!
If you're looking at this then you probably know the Reflex was one of those rare Hondas that flopped in the US market but was beloved elsewhere (like the NX 650 I owned.) This one has travelled a mere 375 miles since it was new, having spent most of its life in a garage as part of a collection.

[IMG]
Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Voila! Behold........

Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #38
Platinum Member

That's IT. You are the Forum Guru!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Naw, markopolo is the Guru.
I'm just the assistant demi-God.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #40
Platinum Member

[quote="Mike"]Naw, markopolo is the Guru.

Yea, I thought about that later/to late though.
No offense intended to Marko.
That makes me a smart A&& ... R.