Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Boy, howdy, that Vista Cruiser sure has a lot of storage! Glad it's working out so well for you guys - keep us posted! (On the van AND your gigs!)
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #22
BBQ
Platinum Member

Looking good !
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Last night, we went for our first real camping trip with it; just an overnight at one of our favorite campsites not too far from home. It rained a lot, but the camper was comfy. It is definitely going to need an additional battery. We made sure it was charged up before we went to bed, and after getting up and running lights, water pump, and the furnace for a few minutes, it was pretty much dead. The fridge is 12v (no propane), and it draws a fair bit. We only turned the furnace on for a few minutes, but it is often cold around here, so I can see using that a lot more in the future, and the fan is also a draw. So my first mod will be coming soon, I guess.

It rained a lot, but it was beautiful between storms.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Looks like you had a nice spot. I wonder how other will respond; however, maybe you can turn off your fridge overnight. It should stay cold while you sleep since you won't be opening it. Also, do the calculation on what it owould cost to run your particular Genny. It may only run you like 25 bucks to run it while you sleep. Just some things to think about.

Mark
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #25
Site Team

The first mod I would do is to install a real shunt-based battery monitor. That is the only way to really know what is going on. Maybe you do need an additional battery, but it is also possible that the current one is shot. Without a battery monitor, you are blind and just guessing.

Is you DC-only fridge a compressor unit? I have never seen a DC-only absorption unit.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #26
BBQ
Platinum Member

How many house batteries do you have?
What are the Amp hours?
How old are the batteries? If they are more than 5 yrs old, it is time to change them.

While you are at it, check out what type of charger do you have.
If it is a single stage charger, you might want to consider a 3-stage charger some time in the future.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #27
Bronze Member

It's a compressor fridge, DC or 110, and the battery was definitely drained. I was sort of testing how long it will last, and we drained it to the point that the lights wouldn't come on (LED bulbs). It's a new battery from the dealer that we bought it from, but I have no idea what brand, specs, etc. I suspect it's a cheapie, so the first thing I will do is pull it and install a good quality battery. There's only one house battery, but I think there's room to add another, with a little creativity.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #28
Bronze Member

The other issue that we may address sometime is the lack of hot water. It's a known issue, and I knew that about this unit when we bought it. It only has an "on demand" water "warmer", which maybe warms the water a tiny bit. I can't even tell. I've been doing some research, and may go with a small 2.5 gal 110 water heater to give us at least something. We're really good at quick showers, and this shower is tiny anyway, so 2.5 gallons would be enough for us. Mostly it would just be for washing dishes, etc.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #29
Site Team

I do not think you are going to be happy with a single battery combined with a compressor fridge. I am a big fan of compressor units, but they need more battery to be practical, at least if you ever camp without shore power.

BTW: It is not good for the batteries to fully-discharge them. If your LED lights were not coming on, that is too low. The common rule of thumb is to try to stay above 50% state-of-charge. Another reason to get a battery monitor.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #30
BBQ
Platinum Member

Don't blame it on the battery. Nowadays even the cheapest deep cycle battery is not bad. I would not ditch it.

Check your battery charger.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #31
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I do not think you are going to be happy with a single battery combined with a compressor fridge. I am a big fan of compressor units, but they need more battery to be practical, at least if you ever camp without shore power.

BTW: It is not good for the batteries to fully-discharge them. If your LED lights were not coming on, that is too low. The common rule of thumb is to try to stay above 50% state-of-charge. Another reason to get a battery monitor.
Thanks. Yeah, we pretty much always camp without shore power. I think I will look into an additional battery after I check out everything else.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #32
Bronze Member

Huh. So this is what is in there right now. I don't think this is right? Especially for my cold climate? It is a marine "starting" battery... I have deep cycle batteries in my trailer.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #33
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Huh. So this is what is in there right now. I don't think this is right? Especially for my cold climate? It is a marine "starting" battery... I have deep cycle batteries in my trailer.

That's a $50 Walmart battery.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #34
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
That's a $50 Walmart battery.

Yep. LOL

Any recommendations? I want to get the best single 12v deep cycle battery I can buy as a good starting point.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #35
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Yep. LOL

Any recommendations? I want to get the best single 12v deep cycle battery I can buy as a good starting point.

"Best" is expensive.

IMHO, you do not need to get the most expensive. There are lots of good choices, with good warranty.

Lifeline is top of the line -- probably close to $400 each

Costco, interstate -- maybe $250 each?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
"Best" is expensive.

IMHO, you do not need to get the most expensive. There are lots of good choices, with good warranty.

First I think the the decision between wet cell or AGM needs to happen, then if going to two batteries the 6v or 12v decision. "Good" batteries are available in the different categories, but true deep cycle in a gp24 or gp27 can be hard to find.

With a compressor frig, more battery is good, and lots is better.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:34 AM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
"Best" is expensive.

I'm researching now. Found a Trojan group 30 that sound awesome, but no dealers in CO. I'm pretty happy with the Interstate batteries in our travel trailer; may go that route. One to start with.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:35 AM   #38
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
First I think the the decision between wet cell or AGM needs to happen, then if going to two batteries the 6v or 12v decision. "Good" batteries are available in the different categories, but true deep cycle in a gp24 or gp27 can be hard to find.

With a compressor frig, more battery is good, and lots is better.
We can have some really cold nights here, and I have heard that AGM's don't do as well with cold? I was thinking wet cell, but my mind could be changed, if I'm wrong about that.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #39

[QUOTE=Hayduke;58888]

That's a great-looking RV, Hayduke! Very cozy and definitely a fun vehicle to be in.
VinMarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #40
Bronze Member

Just installed a new battery. I removed the 50 dollar walmart piece of junk, and also removed the vented battery box. There was enough room to go to a group 27 (which wouldn't fit in the battery box), so I got a 110 ah AGM battery , so it wouldn't need venting. rated for 220 reserve minutes. I just hooked it up today, plugged in for awhile, then I've been letting the refrigerator run all afternoon, and it's still doing well. I think this is going to work much better.

Played a gig last night, which ended late (around 2 am), so we just loaded up, and chilled out in the van for a bit, then went to bed. Enjoying having a nice place to sleep when on the road. It's cozy, and feels like home.