Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 10:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Curious because a couple of clienrs/friends are interested & I am the Closest Class B expert they know.

Which manufacturers did you look at before you decided on Modvans?

Why did you choose Modvans?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 PM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Curious because a couple of clienrs/friends are interested & I am the Closest Class B expert they know.

Which manufacturers did you look at before you decided on Modvans?

Why did you choose Modvans?
Keep in mind, first of all, that I was doing this research 18 months ago. Some things have changed since then (such as Hymer/Roadtrek going out of business).

At the time, I looked at pretty much all of the major manufacturers of production units (i.e., not customizers): the various Hymer brands, Winnie, PleasureWay, etc. All of them made compromises that I didn't care for: either the Promaster chassis, or the absorption fridge, or the wimpy battery, or various other things. Also, I went to a local RV show, and found myself unimpressed by the build quality of several of the units I looked at. It was pretty discouraging.

When I happened to see a note about ModVans — it came up in a Google search — I found that I really liked their concept and their design choices. The fact that everything in the van is removable, so you can still use it as a cargo van if you need to, told me that they were taking a much more innovative look at the problem. (I don't expect I'll be removing any of the cabinetry, but I already did reconfigure the seats.) They were a brand-new startup at the time — my van was order #62 — but they really seemed to have their act together. Their web site gave me a good enough vibe that I decided to drive 6 hours down there to see it in person, and once I did, I was sold.

I'll admit, if I'd known that I wouldn't get the van until 18 months after I placed the order, I probably wouldn't have ordered it. But that can't be held against them: they weren't responsible for Ford shutting down their manufacturing plant for months, or for pandemic-related delays in getting components, or for the explosion of the RV industry creating back-orders for RV parts. They did the best they could, and I'm delighted by the result.
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:15 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
Actually, when I first started the process of getting a class B, I started with Sportsmobile, and was getting a Sprinter-based conversion. However, this was at a time when the Sprinter model year changeover hit some major snags, with their new manufacturing plant and whatnot, and it resulted in many months of delays as well as horrifying manufacturing defects. Added to my original reservations about the Sprinter maintenance costs and the disadvantages of diesel, I wound up deciding to pull the plug on that order. And while I could have switched my Sportsmobile order to a Transit van, I had found them so unpleasant to work with during that debacle that I decided not to work with them at all. That's when I went hunting for better options, and stumbled across ModVans by sheer luck. I found that I really liked their design — and price — and decided to go with them.

I looked at the Pleasureway also, but I was put off by its being on a Promaster chassis. Driveability and automated safety systems are important to me and those were largely unavailable on the Promaster. The Pleasureways also used absorption fridges at the time, which I detest. (It appears they no longer do.)
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Yes a lot has changed in 18 months, the new Tofino has a DC Compressor Fridge, finally a bigger battery bank, solar & inverter.

Were they having supply issues in the 12 months before Covid or teething issues (or is that what you meant by the plant shutting down?).

Knowing whats available now, aparr from the flexible modular design, and the changes to the Tofino, would you still choose the Modvans.

My clients are leaving towards the Tofino or having to wait and get a custom made El Kapitan van..

For me, I only heard about them through your entry.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #24
Silver Member

Quote:
Were they having supply issues in the 12 months before Covid or teething issues (or is that what you meant by the plant shutting down?).
They were backlogged with orders to begin with; then impeded by Ford delays due to the model year changeover; and then hit by COVID. A perfect storm.

Quote:
Knowing whats available now, aparr from the flexible modular design, and the changes to the Tofino, would you still choose the Modvans.
Yes, I'd still choose the ModVans. I really don't like the Promaster chassis.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:55 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Tell me why, the Ford Transit versus the Dodge Promaster?

No rush Mate.

But with the research I am sure you have done & the way you reply, the answers will be sound & compelling.

In their comparisons they do not list the Dodge Promaster.

18 months - you have to be one of the most patient people on the planet
Old 09-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #26
Silver Member

Quote:
Tell me why, the Ford Transit versus the Dodge Promaster?
All wheel drive. More powerful engine. Same drivetrain as the F-150 pickup, therefore trivially easy to find parts and mechanics. Much more extensive suite of driver assistance technologies: cross-wind assist, blind spot monitoring, self-parking (yes, really), 360° cameras and parking sensors, etc.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
Silver Member

Here's a new article about ModVans, posted yesterday by one of the owners, that might give you some interesting insight.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here's a new article about ModVans, posted yesterday by one of the owners, that might give you some interesting insight.
Thank you for sharing. Wow, I am impressed. It looks like solid business start-up based on good engineering. No staple guns with aluminum .

“A big part of the MRP implementation has been designing "bolt-in ready" Assemblies. This allows us to scale by splitting our shop into two teams: Parts and Build. The Build team has the glamorous job of "bolting in" Assemblies into chassis. The Parts team has the essential task of keeping the Build team efficient by supplying them with Assemblies that can be installed quickly and accurately. To keep things flowing smoothly, the Parts team works ahead of the Build team so that the Assemblies are ready when they are needed.”

This modularity methodology is the way to overcome building conversion costs of being within enclosed B class chassis. Build modules outside and mount them inside, it can be done. Getting a family camper van into our market tuned for retires at right price should make them successful. It is refreshing to see engineered based innovation, actually it is refreshing to see just good engineering. Wishing them best successes.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Will study it tonight, just the F150 commonality alone is a plus.

I agree, but as a non-technical observer, with GeorgeRA's learned assessment.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:17 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
All wheel drive. More powerful engine. Same drivetrain as the F-150 pickup, therefore trivially easy to find parts and mechanics. Much more extensive suite of driver assistance technologies: cross-wind assist, blind spot monitoring, self-parking (yes, really), 360° cameras and parking sensors, etc.
Transit does have some great powertrain options, including the EcoBoost V6 plus 10 speed transmission and AWD option for 2020. However for 2021 Promaster does get safety features including standard crosswind assist and optional blind spot monitoring, 180° live rear view array, and emergency auto-braking.

Transit is definitely a great choice for ModVan on the 20ft chassis. However buyers seeking a larger van such as the 22ft Transit need to also consider rear departure ground clearance. That short 148" wheelbase on the big Transit makes it a real ass-dragger.

There are three different users over on the Solis group that traded in Coachmen Crossfit, Winnebago Paseo, and Fuse units for the Solis due to rear ground clearance problems on driveway entrances and campgrounds. Those aren't potential buyers deciding not to buy - they're actual owners who purchased Transit RVs then traded them in to get a Promaster due to rear clearance issues.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Transit does have some great powertrain options, including the EcoBoost V6 plus 10 speed transmission and AWD option for 2020. However for 2021 Promaster does get safety features including standard crosswind assist and optional blind spot monitoring, 180° live rear view array, and emergency auto-braking.
Does anybody know of a good tabular comparison among the Sprinter, Transit and Promaster that drills down into details such as this? For example, I am curious about exactly what active safety features are available on all three platforms.

Was the above intended to imply that the PM is better than the Transit in this regard?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Does anybody know of a good tabular comparison among the Sprinter, Transit and Promaster that drills down into details such as this? For example, I am curious about exactly what active safety features are available on all three platforms.

Was the above intended to imply that the PM is better than the Transit in this regard?
Promaster is definitely in catch-up mode on these active safety features. Sprinter was the first to get them, then Transit in 2020, and finally Promaster for 2021.

I love the idea of a good tabular comparison, both on these safety features and other issues such as length/wheelbase, ground clearance/rear departure angle, engines, transmissions, interior space, overall height, etc.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #33
Platinum Member

For those with clearance issues I will give you two options that have worked perfectly for me since 2012 - over this time I have lifted my rig three different times, getting higher each time.

This way you can have your favourite rig & even more benefits.

WELDTEC DESIGN in El Cajon - ask for JEREMY (619) 596 - 9831

SUPERSPRINGS in Santa Barbara - ask for JERRY (800) 898 - 0705

And a third option, VALLEY SPRING WORKS in Dixon - ask for BILL (707) 580-5344
Old 09-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #34
Platinum Member

No more beaching like whale in parking lots & driveways.

No more black tank catastrophes in the above.

No more unconscious prayer when negotiating new places.

Easy access to your generator and or underside of your truck.

The only thing you have to deal with is people often stopping you & asking "Wow Man, does your Rig have 4x4 too ...?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130714_155935_resized.jpg (175.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20130714_155539_resized.jpg (147.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20130714_155738_resized.jpg (192.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20130715_154933_resized.jpg (149.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20180429_174836.jpg (281.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #35

In your van, you got the van windows all around. I’ve never seen mention of curtains or shades for privacy. Does ModVans off there? Also, do you have a problem with heat in the van with all those windows when the top is not up or A/C is on? This is like a modern version of the old VW camper van.
soimagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #36
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimagine View Post
In your van, you got the van windows all around. I’ve never seen mention of curtains or shades for privacy. Does ModVans off there?
The van windows are tinted all around ("privacy glass"), so I haven't felt any need for curtains or shades. If at some point I do, there are lots of vendors who offer shades for Ford Transit windows (or of course I could DIY it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimagine View Post
Also, do you have a problem with heat in the van with all those windows when the top is not up or A/C is on? This is like a modern version of the old VW camper van.
When the van has been parked closed up in the sun for a while, yes, it is quite hot. Aside from that, no, I haven't had a problem. Note also that the furnace can be run in vent-only mode, circulating air.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #37
Platinum Member

How long Jago were you talking with Sportsmobile?

If you waiting for them & then 18 months with Modvans, thst has to be a Guinness World Record
Old 09-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #38
Platinum Member

PS. I am up in Santa Barbara for a few weeks relaxing.

Did you ever investigate or know about Atlas Van also in Ventura or Campo Van in Santa Barbara?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #39
Silver Member

Quote:
Did you ever investigate or know about Atlas Van also in Ventura or Campo Van in Santa Barbara?
Nope, wasn't aware of them. And yes, definitely in world record territory, but that's behind me now.