Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 01:43 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default my new van: ModVans CV1

After lurking in these forums for a long time, I now finally have my own Class B camper van: a 2020 ModVans CV1, based on a 2020 Ford Transit AWD chassis. It's lovely, and I can't wait to see the sights in it! Pictures here if anyone's interested. (I'm afraid that link only works if you're logged into Facebook, sorry.)
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:35 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Congrats!

And yeah, I don't do facebook so nothing comes up for me when I click your link.

Is this like your model?

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:59 AM   #3
Silver Member

That's an older model but essentially similar, yes. They've added some nice upgrades to their design since they made that video.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Its certainly a stealth unit.

Congratulations.

Its almost a B - / B Minus van.

I hope the above comment doesn't bring a rain of angry comments but if there was ever a case for a B - van, with the goodies, its yours.

Actually, on closer inspection, it is a Class B without any minus.

Viewing from my cellphone I didn't notice the pop up top (I thought it was a building behind the rig), which also removes the stealth factor unless you are in a sea of ModVans - will check out their website.

Thank you!
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I put my big man pants on & used a laptop, much easier to navigate their website.

Very basic & yet very functional.

Comes with a DC Compressor Fridge, an Isotherm 2.5 cubic feet Marine Model that uses very little power - with thier build out they could hsve gone with an Engel MT45 Combination unit but.

The option of adding 300 watts of solar, a highly efficient 300 watt panel whose efficiency goes out the window because of the roof top stanchions for mounting a surfboard on the roof rack, not to mention the ac unit.

Huge 10 gallon propane tank!

And yet only 10 gallons of water supply - easily remedied. I couldnt see any mention of the thier being hot & cold water, must be.

The most surprising feature; how incredibly INEXPENSIVE THIER UNITS ARE.

Thank you for pointing them out to us.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
Bronze Member

We met these guys at an RV show last year. Good bunch of guys, good product. Enjoy.
JLO11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I put my big man pants on & used a laptop, much easier to navigate their website.

Very basic & yet very functional.

Comes with a DC Compressor Fridge, an Isotherm 2.5 cubic feet Marine Model that uses very little power - with thier build out they could hsve gone with an Engel MT45 Combination unit but.

The option of adding 300 watts of solar, a highly efficient 300 watt panel whose efficiency goes out the window because of the roof top stanchions for mounting a surfboard on the roof rack, not to mention the ac unit.

Huge 10 gallon propane tank!

And yet only 10 gallons of water supply - easily remedied. I couldnt see any mention of the thier being hot & cold water, must be.

The most surprising feature; how incredibly INEXPENSIVE THIER UNITS ARE.

Thank you for pointing them out to us.
I must add; I AM SURE THEY THOUGHT ABOUT THE INEFFICIENCY CAUSED BY HAVING THE SURFBOARD RACKS ALONE ON TOP.

With surboard, yeild must be 5%.

As it is, there isn't much draw on the system anyway but a few led lights, maybe the inverter when needed & the water pump.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:04 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Actually the solar panel's efficiency seems unimpeded by the rack. Obviously if you put something *on* the rack, it wouldn't work well, but having the rack itself there doesn't seem to hurt the solar at all.

Quote:
The water tank is 25 gallons. And yes, heated.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:07 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
With surfboard, yeild must be 5%.

As it is, there isn't much draw on the system anyway but a few led lights, maybe the inverter when needed & the water pump.
Fortunately, I'm not a surfer. The main draw on the system is actually the refrigerator. The solar panel is more than ample to power the fridge, plus lights and other incidentals.

Of course the biggest power consumer by far is the AC. Neither the solar nor the battery will suffice for that; you need either shore power or the chassis engine running.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:43 AM   #10
Silver Member

I moved the pictures to a site that people can visit without needing a Facebook login. You can see them here.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
Fortunately, I'm not a surfer. The main draw on the system is actually the refrigerator. The solar panel is more than ample to power the fridge, plus lights and other incidentals.

Of course the biggest power consumer by far is the AC. Neither the solar nor the battery will suffice for that; you need either shore power or the chassis engine running.
I believe Shadows, cause a significant disruption in Solar Harvest, albiet not when the harvest is at its height, during middle of the day, direct sun overhead.

Plus the Shadow by the high AC Unit.

But that is only a factor of you added the solar 300 watt system which they describe as high efficiency.

I see yours comes with a Victron BMV712, great unit! Was that standard?

And that they made a couple of changes like the control panel & I see the outside shower wand.

As for the 10 gallon quote, I was reading there standard 10 gallons - were you able to get 15 gallons more by exercising an option or is there somewhere on the site that I misread?

Personally I am astounded at the base price, for a bare bones van with almost everything, its an incredible deal.

It seems too cheap, I hope they get to stay in business, reminds me of another local company in Huntington Beach called El Kapitan who sre still going strong 30 years later.

Please inform me what fridge it is, manufacturer & model (it could be a truck fridge but looks to be the parent manufacturer Isotherm or Vitrifrigo - the same company).

Who makes the battery & what model is it?

It must be a high quality unit capable of 200mah to handle the dc fridge or maybe a 100mah.

For what its worth, after 9 years I got rid of my Toilet & having to use the Black Tank by going to the other 5.5 Thetford Porta Potti they make.

I still have all the plumbing but none of the every 10 day nightmares.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:42 AM   #12
Silver Member

Sorry for the delayed response; I didn't get the notification of your post and only just now happened to notice it.

Quote:
I see yours comes with a Victron BMV712, great unit! Was that standard?
Yes, it was.

Quote:
And that they made a couple of changes like the control panel & I see the outside shower wand.
The outside shower is an option. Another big change is the countertops — much nicer than their originals.

Quote:
As for the 10 gallon quote, I was reading there standard 10 gallons - were you able to get 15 gallons more by exercising an option or is there somewhere on the site that I misread?
I suspect they haven't updated the site. 25 gallons is now standard; I didn't order an option for it.

Quote:
Please inform me what fridge it is, manufacturer & model (it could be a truck fridge but looks to be the parent manufacturer Isotherm or Vitrifrigo - the same company).
It's a Norcold NR751.

Quote:
Who makes the battery & what model is it?

It must be a high quality unit capable of 200mah to handle the dc fridge or maybe a 100mah.
I don't actually know the battery make and model, but it is a 200Ah AGM battery. (Not 200mAh — that wouldn't help much!) That's an option; the standard house battery is smaller (85Ah, I think?).
Old 09-14-2020, 02:16 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Thank you!

When I say cheap it wasn't the best use of a word.

Seemingly underpriced.

Inexpensive for what's offered.

Are what I meant to convey.

Yes mention the 10 versus 25 gallons to the Factory, it might be enough to cause a possible buyer another reason to pay more attention.

I wish you all the luck keeping the Norcold performing as promised - I didnt see the venting on the other side but I never looked that close.

I will next.

If the unit dies out of warranty, or you cannot get it to operate to the parameters you need, upgrade to an Isotherm or Vitrifrigo or Truckfridge (all the same company). The Truckfridge units are less well appointed & are the smaller & less efficient units they make fot the USA Truck industry.

But they also make smaller Isotherm & Vitrifrigo units.

No need ro reply right away after all you have a new house, on wheels & its a big world, even with the fire hazards blanketing us in unhealthy air. GET BEHIND THE WHEEL & ENJOY!

Friday afternoon I decided to take a couple of weeks off & get back into perfect shape & did a little research on leaving LA;

Air quality here was 137, San Francisco 241, San Diego a surprising 215 & Newport Beach, 221!

I might head up to Santa Barbara & pop into Ventura & see the factory as I have a couple of friends who asked me to check but I just checked, its 198 in Ventura!

Air Quality #'s change by the hour but Wow!

PS. From what I understand, it's actually cooler to sleep in the pop up unit beds than down in the truck when its hot, have you found that to be true yet?

And do they have opening zippers & mesh protection up there?
Old 09-14-2020, 02:21 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Just checked, I couldn't see any vents.

Maybe they have engineered a vehting system I cannot see.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just checked, I couldn't see any vents.

Maybe they have engineered a vehting system I cannot see.
This kills it for me. Needs side windows with screens, at least a couple, and screens for the rear and sliding door areas. Shouldn't need to have to pop the top for screened, fresh air. Fresh air is pretty important!
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #16
Platinum Member

They are a small company - I bet they would be willing to add the scren options if you ask them & were willing to pay for the option.

As for my comments about the breeze when sleeping in a pop top, while we always sleep above the ground in the 3rd World, I have never slept in such a unit - wanted to get Rothskellers opinion.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Rothskeller,

Did you compare Midvans with the Pleasureway Tofino, Sportsmobile, etc.

What were the defining facts that caused you to choose the Modvans versus these units?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #18
Silver Member

Quote:
From what I understand, it's actually cooler to sleep in the pop up unit beds than down in the truck when its hot, have you found that to be true yet?

And do they have opening zippers & mesh protection up there?
Yes, it's cooler up top because that's where the ventilation is. And yes, the windows in the popup top have permanent mesh screens and zipper-down plastic closures.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #19
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
This kills it for me. Needs side windows with screens, at least a couple, and screens for the rear and sliding door areas. Shouldn't need to have to pop the top for screened, fresh air. Fresh air is pretty important!
Ford does not manufacture the Transit van with side or rear windows that open. When parked, however, one can always open the side or rear doors, and screens that mount in them are easy to come by.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
Did you compare Midvans with the Pleasureway Tofino, Sportsmobile, etc.

What were the defining facts that caused you to choose the Modvans versus these units?
Actually, when I first started the process of getting a class B, I started with Sportsmobile, and was getting a Sprinter-based conversion. However, this was at a time when the Sprinter model year changeover hit some major snags, with their new manufacturing plant and whatnot, and it resulted in many months of delays as well as horrifying manufacturing defects. Added to my original reservations about the Sprinter maintenance costs and the disadvantages of diesel, I wound up deciding to pull the plug on that order. And while I could have switched my Sportsmobile order to a Transit van, I had found them so unpleasant to work with during that debacle that I decided not to work with them at all. That's when I went hunting for better options, and stumbled across ModVans by sheer luck. I found that I really liked their design — and price — and decided to go with them.

I looked at the Pleasureway also, but I was put off by its being on a Promaster chassis. Driveability and automated safety systems are important to me and those were largely unavailable on the Promaster. The Pleasureways also used absorption fridges at the time, which I detest. (It appears they no longer do.)