Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default My RT and the Louisiana HEAT

I live in Louisiana where it gets very HOT. I park my RT under a metal carport.

Now to the question, what do ya'll do about the heat build up in your van camper, open windows or just what.

Thanks

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Open the bathroom vent fully and the main vent partially. I have screens that go across the back of the RT 210 and the side entrance door. Also have a thermostatically controlled fan inside that comes on automatically. I keep the RT210 parked in the driveway and put into the 30amp service.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

RAA357
Please explain the your fan setup.
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Courtesy of someone who lives on the upper Texas coast where we know a great deal about this kind of misery, here is a thread called Declaring war on Interstate summer heat gain which discusses many different countermeasures (it's best to layer them).

The Interstate is Airstream's Class B. The same principles hold for Class Bs generally.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Ordinary box fan with a thermostat control on the fan. Set the thermostat knob to what temp you want the fan to come on at and plug it in to 120
vac outlet. We also cover all of the windows with Heat Reflective window covers and they really help alot.
You can pick one up at Walmart or Ebay.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have a simple 50 watt portable solar that I toss up above the windshield, held in place with velcro (Not for traveling, just parked) It takes about 1 minute to hook up, and I have the wire running to the battery compartment. (In place perminately and neatly run) With this setup I can keep the fantastic fan running (Temp automatically comes on when inside hits about 90) and windows cracked. Fantastic Fan on low speed, uses 30 watts. I live in Murrieta, so temps here in the summer average 100.
BTW, unless it's cloudy, the house battery monitor shows 100% charged, worst case 75%
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

In deep South Texas I certainly understand heat, but if I had a carport (I don't) I wouldn't worry about it further.

Mine sits in full sun with reflectix in rear and Sunshield window coverings in front. To my pleasant surprise, the interior in the rear never exceeds 10-15 degrees above outside temperature in full sun and closed up tight. The highest I've recorded is 105.

That is still hotter than blazes, but 20-30 degrees below a typical parked car. So thus far, I've been more concerned with UV sun damage than interior temperatures. This can be seen in the condtion of the paint on my fiberglass top. Paint damage just showed up 4-5 months ago, but is progressing at an alarming rate,
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote