Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Navigation & GPS on Pleasure Way Ascent

We are new owners of a 2017 Pleasure Way Ascent and Sprinter chassis. We've ridden motorcycles for years and always used the Harley website to create a custom route to travel before downloading it to the GPS device on the bike. We so love to plot a trip and then just follow it on our GPS.

What are others doing with setting up a custom route and what GPS device are you using? The Becker pilot seems clumbsy compared to the Garmin. What apps or other software are being used in the RV travels?

Thank you in advance for sharing any wisdom from your experiences. We appreciate it and look forward to our RV journey!!
floydj@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #2
Site Team

I know of no really good ones that interact well with GPS units.

For trip planning, https://roadtrippers.com isn't bad. It is quite good at finding restaurants, attractions, and lodging along the way.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Thanks

I like road trippers app and think they are on to something pretty cool. But it still doesn’t navigate a whole trip at one time. Thanks for the insights.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

I hated my Becker so much that I found a 6 inch Garmin on Amazon for $100, and use it constantly. Basecamp and I believe google maps has ways to plan and load trips.

Paul
2017 Ascent
Marathonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonpaul View Post
Basecamp and I believe google maps has ways to plan and load trips.
The problem with Google Maps (last time I checked) is that it has an arbitrary limit of something like 12 waypoints, which is not nearly enough for a complex trip.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #6

Default becker map pilot

We're new owners of a 2018 Pleasureway Ascent. I am unable to get the Becker Map Pilot to work-it's message is that there is no navigation module detected. I'm thinking maybe the battery in it is no good? Otherwise go to Mercedes dealer?
wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
We're new owners of a 2018 Pleasureway Ascent. I am unable to get the Becker Map Pilot to work-it's message is that there is no navigation module detected. I'm thinking maybe the battery in it is no good? Otherwise go to Mercedes dealer?
Are you sure you actually HAVE the navigation module? It would be in a socket inside your glove box. Often removing and reinstalling it will remedy such problems. There is also a reset button on the module. The battery in the module is rechargeable and should recharge when plugged into the van. As a last resort, try plugging the module into a computer using a USB cord. You should be able to reinstall/update the firmware using the Becker Map Pilot software you can download from their website.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We plot our very custom route trips with Garmin Basecamp on the laptop, and then transfer it directly to the GPS. Basecamp is a bit wonky to use, but allows you to chose exactly what roads you want to take, without it freelancing, because it uses the same maps, and apparently calculating algorithm, as the GPS itself. The planning on Basecamp is the typical drag and drop the route routine like most route planners.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Are you sure you actually HAVE the navigation module? It would be in a socket inside your glove box. Often removing and reinstalling it will remedy such problems. There is also a reset button on the module. The battery in the module is rechargeable and should recharge when plugged into the van. As a last resort, try plugging the module into a computer using a USB cord. You should be able to reinstall/update the firmware using the Becker Map Pilot software you can download from their website.
I have had it in and out several times and have had it in computer-registered, downloaded maps. I'll try the reset button. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #10

Default Becker is GARBAGE!!

In every single way, the Becker “system” that arrives in a PW is total, unmitigated crap.

When we purchased our 2017 Ascent, we asked about iPhone connectivity, GPS, apps like Sirius and Pandora, etc. We were told by the Salesman,
“Well it’s a Mercedes! So yeah!”.
uh. So no.

We chose to completely replace the Becker “system” top to bottom. We had a Kenwood Apple Play in-dash unit installed along with some high quality speakers (the Becker speakers have paper cones. Seriously). Installation was seamless and the back-up cam integrated beautifully.

Until we decided to go this way, we used our Tom-Tom with good results.
rlpack1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #11

Seems to be a common problem but haven't heard any solutions yet.Tried reset and nothing. I'll talk to Mercedes dealer.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post

Check the glove box for the map module.
Marathonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Becker used to be good radios.

I am talking about the 60s
Old 05-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Default GPS

I am considering a Garmin RV 760LMT. I've used BaseCamp in the past and it is clunky but workable.

If Google Maps has limitatons of 12 waypoints as another person commented, then that system doesn't make sense for 3000 mile trip.

I do like to have the route be exaclty what we create it to be and then transer to the GPS as well.

Thanks for the comments and insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We plot our very custom route trips with Garmin Basecamp on the laptop, and then transfer it directly to the GPS. Basecamp is a bit wonky to use, but allows you to chose exactly what roads you want to take, without it freelancing, because it uses the same maps, and apparently calculating algorithm, as the GPS itself. The planning on Basecamp is the typical drag and drop the route routine like most route planners.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydj@me.com View Post
I am considering a Garmin RV 760LMT. I've used BaseCamp in the past and it is clunky but workable.

If Google Maps has limitatons of 12 waypoints as another person commented, then that system doesn't make sense for 3000 mile trip.

I do like to have the route be exaclty what we create it to be and then transer to the GPS as well.

We got a new Garmin 2639 LMT a few months ago, mostly to allow us to get a rear camera on the same screen. GPS City had very good pricing on them so to good to pass up. Works well for us.

It will be interesting to see how you like the RV version if you get it. The people who have gotten the Garmin RV versions have had really mixed reviews of them. I do know from our experience on the non RV versions that the Gamin POI and things and other reference stuff like gas stations is not very complete or up to date, so I hope they do a better job on things like campgrounds and parks in the RV version.

I think that with Basecamp you can use it forever and then still stumble over shortcuts nobody tells you about. I had always like to layout a complete route for a trip, knowing that there would be changes as we went. What we found was that getting the GPS to pickup a radically altered route midtrip was a challenge sometimes, as it would freelance to get back to the route when we would restart in the morning. Making changes in the middle of a long custom route also gives you the risk of it recalculating the route in areas you don't want it to, or losing it completely so I didn't like changing a small part in the middle. The turn by turn list gets incredibly long in a 7K+ trip, and even the waypoints plus the many shaping point list is long. I had never been very successful in plucking out part of a long route and have it carry with it all the custom routing that we had in it, so I could just add a new start point and put in a customized path back to the original route. I finally came across a way to do it, so now I usually have the complete route roughly laid out to chose the roads we think we will want, and then pluck out the next days drive area and tweak it with any changes we need or want
Old 05-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Default Garmin RV 770???

Booster,
You provided great reply and one from experience. The more I read about the 770 the more concerned I get. It also seems that there isn't any one GPS that solves travel issues.

I would hope that Garmin has updated the software to address key issues mentioned on several websites, Amazon included. I didn't find any 2018 posts, all were in 2017.

Seems I need to do a bit more homework before spending the money. Maybe the 660 version.

Quote:
We got a new Garmin 2639 LMT a few months ago, mostly to allow us to get a rear camera on the same screen. GPS City had very good pricing on them so to good to pass up. Works well for us.

It will be interesting to see how you like the RV version if you get it. The people who have gotten the Garmin RV versions have had really mixed reviews of them. I do know from our experience on the non RV versions that the Gamin POI and things and other reference stuff like gas stations is not very complete or up to date, so I hope they do a better job on things like campgrounds and parks in the RV version.

I think that with Basecamp you can use it forever and then still stumble over shortcuts nobody tells you about. I had always like to layout a complete route for a trip, knowing that there would be changes as we went. What we found was that getting the GPS to pickup a radically altered route midtrip was a challenge sometimes, as it would freelance to get back to the route when we would restart in the morning. Making changes in the middle of a long custom route also gives you the risk of it recalculating the route in areas you don't want it to, or losing it completely so I didn't like changing a small part in the middle. The turn by turn list gets incredibly long in a 7K+ trip, and even the waypoints plus the many shaping point list is long. I had never been very successful in plucking out part of a long route and have it carry with it all the custom routing that we had in it, so I could just add a new start point and put in a customized path back to the original route. I finally came across a way to do it, so now I usually have the complete route roughly laid out to chose the roads we think we will want, and then pluck out the next days drive area and tweak it with any changes we need or want
Old 05-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Kenwood DNX893s

We had an old outdated Eclipse system in our RS Adventurous..I replaced it with this integrated system and find find it to be great.....

Kenwood eXcelon DNX893S https://g.co/kgs/sUgS4E
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is the camera a BC-30? The license plate backup camera on our 210 gets pretty much blocked when carrying bikes and I've been tempted to get a BC-30 for our LMT770 but I've read some criticism of this camera regarding lack of night vision capability (no infra-red?) and the 640 x 480 resolution that produces fuzzy images when viewing more distant objects. What's been your experience?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Is the camera a BC-30? The license plate backup camera on our 210 gets pretty much blocked when carrying bikes and I've been tempted to get a BC-30 for our LMT770 but I've read some criticism of this camera regarding lack of night vision capability (no infra-red?) and the 640 x 480 resolution that produces fuzzy images when viewing more distant objects. What's been your experience?

We don't have a bike rack...in fact, I had a very long conversation with Yakima directly... they talked me out of the bike rack I wanted.... seems like the rack would "bend" with the stress of the vibration on the rear end of the Sprinter 170 wheelbase. I wanted the rack that would "swing away" for easy access … AND, the "emergency exit" doors of the van are in the back!

I didn't want to have to remove and reinstall the bike rack everywhere I go.
Yakima only sells two racks approved for the Sprinter 170 and neither of them swing away...they basically talked me out of it, at least they were honest.

My back up camera is made by Rydeen Mobile Electronics, its an HD camera with three viewing angles … and professionally installed … NOT on the license plate... and I have rear proximity sensors on the back of the van to make sure I'm not getting too close to anything with an audible alarm.
Also have a front camera... not pictured.

Here's some photos,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camera on RS Adventurous.jpg (191.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Proximity Sensors on bumper of RS Adventurous.jpg (246.9 KB, 8 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post

Yes it is the BC30 and most of the criticism are quite valid. Resolution is so-so-so, no night vision. It is better than the Peak 7" we had for display. The two features we bought it for were that it displays on the Garmin, so keeps from needing another screen on the dash, and it has adjustable guidelines so they actually are useful. The shortcomings we can pretty easily live with, as I rarely need a camera to back into spots and we have very high output reverse lights plus an extra pair we can stick on the side of the van if we need them.

The biggest disappointment probably should have been anticipated, and that is the fisheye lens style that it is makes items get small very quickly as the distance behind the van increases, limiting it's usefulness as a rear view mirror. It is good for being able to see things in the close up blind spots for lane changes, though.

Tags
ascent, gsp, mercedes becker